• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Earth Hour should be grounded (1 Viewer)

Do you support it? + (Global Warming eco-warriors?)

• Yes because I'm Kwayera

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • no

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • :)

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • maybe

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
aliyosufi said:
just because you dont use it doesnt mean it wont be produced and if everyone in the world turned off their lights for 1 hour it will not make a diffrence to global warming
the power plants are designed to produce only as much power as needed. any excess production that isnt stored results in the short term cost of electricity dropping resulting in the financially optimal amount of generators running to drop (less CO2 emissions). i agree that having a few people turn their lights off for an hour wont make a huge difference to the power load, but the main point of earth hour is to create awareness which will hopefully cause people to use less energy/be more energy efficient causing a more consistent and predictable decrease in power consumption in the long run.

aliyosufi said:
in fact humans are he biggest contributors to co2 in the atmosphere through constant exhaling of carbon dioxide, we contribute 90% of all co2 by breathing
in fact youre full of shit

human CO2 emissions are predicted to be around 26.4 giga tonnes per year

the average human exhales 0.9kg to 1kg of CO2 per day.

1kg * 365 days * 7 billion humans = 2.56 giga tonnes worth of CO2 exhaled by humans.

yes, there are a shitload of humans out there breathing and producing greenhouse gases, but that only accounts for a tenth of our total emissions.

aliyosufi said:
manmade greenhouse gas accounts for a tiny proportion of all greenhouse gas
theres a natural carbon cycle (carbon is released and absorbed continuously throughout nature) that is fairly balanced with extremes occurring in periods of thousands of years. although there are greater sources of CO2 emissions in nature, there are also CO2 sinks which absorb a relatively similar amount. the rate of absorption is not linearly proportional to CO2 concentration. any extra CO2 (human emissions) which is added to the cycle continues to build up causing the observed increase in CO2 in the atmosphere.

we may be contributing a relatively small amount but that doesnt make it insignificant.

aliyosufi said:
yes we will be able to slow down global warming
but only ever so slightly like .0001% slower
that figure is about 98.46% complete bullshit. i have no problem with you being pessimistic, but stop pulling numbers out of your arse.

aliyosufi said:
when has god lied to us and with that i end my argument
with that you fail.

boris

Banned
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
Not true. They aren't the hottest temperatures that humans have ever seen, but they are the hottest temperatures this generation has seen. And since a great deal of the population of the earth seems to live in areas which would be badly affected by global warming, it seems to make sense to do something about it.

Foo.
Semantics.
Our generation is full of fat idiots. They're alarmed at hot temperatures but not alarmed about the fact their waist is 500inches.
Fuck them.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
boris said:
Semantics.
Our generation is full of fat idiots. They're alarmed at hot temperatures but not alarmed about the fact their waist is 500inches.
Fuck them.
:D

Not really semantics so much as key differences though.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
aliyosufi said:
Just because we dont use the electricity does not mean that the electricity providers wont produce it. Sydney produces a set amount of electricity supply everyday and it will remain at that level regardless weather we use it or not so by undertaking in Earth Hour we are not actually saving any energy but wasting it.
That's bullshit.

All generators statewide do not run constantly at full capacity. They can and do increase and decrease output based on demand. Small generators can be turned on and off.

However, the point of earth hour is symbolism.

Global warming is a fact and inevitable. This is fine. It's widely accepted that the planet would be naturally warming without human inputs.

What is a problem is the accelerated global warming caused by human impacts. Climate change should be a slow process under natural circumstances. If the enhanced global warming effect is a fact, there is much we can do to help.

btw, We are not living in the biblical end times.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
And contemplating going "HAHA THAT CANDLE YOU'RE BURNING RELEASES MORE CO2 THAN THE LIGHT YO JUST TURNED OFF!"

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Hmm, a troll who doesn't believe in anthropogenic global warming.

How original.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
zimmerman8k said:
Biggest cause of carbon emissions is petrol, which is effectively being taxed less all the time because the fuel excise is no longer indexed. But no one will tax petrol more because it might hurt "working families."
I don't think petrol should be taxed more because the alternatives in this country suck. A lot. Most people cite Europe but most areas are there are small and population dense and the train system can get you from London to Marseilles so cars aren't really required.

There was a chart on The Economist website and there were two countries with a smaller excise on petrol than Australia: NZ and the US. I do hate people complaining about the level of excise on fuel here though considering it is quite small.

Last edited:

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Oooh, so Mother Nature needs a favor?! Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys! Nature started the fight for survival, and now she wants to quit because she's losing. Well I say, hard cheese.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
How long is it taking for hybrid cars to come into the market?!
Obv petrol companies are slowing down the production.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
jb_nc said:
Hmm, a troll who doesn't believe in anthropogenic global warming.

How original.

This is about the silly advertisements we're all seeing about Global Warming and the way how the media mainstream is handling it, how the hell you're gonna to promote it by..... using a hot air balloon? I swear, the media is taking the whole Global Warming fiasco to a whole new level, this kind of scam would make Al Gore's pocket get fuller. :apig:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Herald pointed out today that several power stations decreased energy production in line with the projected decrease in power use. :D

Jess007

HSC
i dont see how one night of no lights un needed power is going to help save the world

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
That's the point. It's not.

But it gives the uninformed an excuse to pat themselves on the back and feel better about their gas-guzzling four-wheel drives.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
But I don't drive a 4WD. I drive the smallest car possible and use public transport all the time despite living out in woop woop.

So thar!

nugget01

HSC
pretty sure my brother got drunk at home on sat night and forgot it was on, having his music blaring during that time.
neighbours must think we're heaps shit haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)