• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

"Earth Hour" Whats the point (1 Viewer)

EvoRevolution

HSC
Don't Forget – 'Earth Hour' Happens Next Week - News and Analysis by PC Magazine
Earth hour is meant to be held next week, but i don't see the point.

As was explained to me by some1.

Earth hour i think is completely a useless waste of time.

We don't actually save any energy, every1 thinks we are, from a physics view electricity is created by spinning turbines in large generators somewhere they can be coal, hydro etc, now as i know to turn these generators on and off takes hours so i doubt they would do this. But think about it these generators are spinning constantly 24/7, they are constantly converting the the energy from the coal into heat and steam energy which spins turbines. This energy is then been sent across Australia to be used now what is the point of these generators creating electrical energy which is not been used.

So therefore i dont see the point in having earth hour, electrical energy is constantly being created, the generators dont just turn off because a bunch of people want to turn their lights of for an hour. The generators turbines are still spinning and chewing up tonnes of coal everyday. Even though they think "ohh yes the powers off we are saving energy".

I may be wrong and there may be another complete different reason for earth hour, if their is "plz explain".

greekgun

HSC
When will people learn; most of our resources are being consumed by the industry - only like a tiny percentage of resources are being used by households.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
This.

It's raising awareness of environmental issues. Of course it's making little to no difference to energy consumption.
Awareness couldn't rly be any higher; even yobbos who know nothing about science make cultural references to climate change now days

in practice this thing becomes a pissing contest between suburban mums who want to show the neighbours how environmentally conscious they are by turning out the most lights (while still watching their big LCD screen)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
So therefore i dont see the point in having earth hour, electrical energy is constantly being created, the generators dont just turn off because a bunch of people want to turn their lights of for an hour. The generators turbines are still spinning and chewing up tonnes of coal everyday. Even though they think "ohh yes the powers off we are saving energy".
I'm not going to argue it's any more than a symbolic gesture, but from my work experience at a Coal station, this is a misconception.

The load and generation of individual turbines can and is easily constantly varied. The power stations constantly receive figures on how much electricity is being purchased, and will adjust their production if demand is down. Burning coal, if no one is purchasing it, is money down the drain, so they want to avoid this as far as possible. Profit is everything.

With an event like earth hour, they may forecast their demand will be lower for a period and lower production based on forecasts as a result. From my understanding, it's not out of the question to constantly vary production. You don't have to shut down generators completely, to have them consuming less than 100% coal, they can run at less than full capacity.

I may be wrong on my understanding of coal power production, and I welcome a correction from any engineers in the industry.

But it's basically greenwashing, and possibly a negative influence. People think, "yes this is fine, we'll save the planet", but really nothing of meaning has even begun to be done. Not buying things needlessly, minimising your consumption is what will really make a difference. It makes people feel smug. It hope it doesn't make people complacent.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
I look at Earnest & Young building in the city at night and laugh. That building leaves every light imaginable on every night. It looks like a christmas tree. If someone shut the power for them, it would be better then Earth hour.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
I'm sure the awareness it generates won't stop those 'environmentally conscious' individuals from turning on their air conditioning or driving their 4WD every other day of the year..

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I may be wrong and there may be another complete different reason for earth hour, if their is "plz explain".
General awareness building. It's a way of keeping environmental issues in the public eye. The aim, I expect, is to change behavior in the short term - product choices, voting, and so forth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)