Easiest Test Ever! (1 Viewer)

Cabrello

HSC
vigNETTE said:
it soooo wasn't easy, I actually wanted different text types cos I know other ppl don't like them and you can't prepare for different text types (hate ppl who write generic essays, like what, can't u actually think on the spot or something but I guess not as English is compulsory...) but most ppl wouldn't ve prepared one for these questions anyway (except for lucky you, wuddie, grrr). oh well, i just feel like crap cos i wrote a crap response to Lear cos I wasn't thinking, I feel so cut, Im (pretty sure I'm) not as stupid as my response will sound like. >sigh<

I don't think there is a thing I disagree with you about. I really wanted a stylistic piece because that's what people can't prepare for. What really bugs me about English is that everyone has prepared essays that their teachers have edited while anyone that goes in and wings it gets hammered, thats why I love the creative pieces in Extension I and Journeys.

I was really shocked by all the questions because they were text specific for Module A and B. I was really expecting just a general transformations essay and a general idea like defend your point of view. As far as Module B goes I was annoyed that I had to talk about specific scenes, I'd made notes on quotes and I had to piece together the scenes that they were in and decide which one I was going to do.

As far as Frontline goes, I was pretty happy with that question mostly because I was really prepared for it and I figured others might screw it up (does that make me a bad person?). More to the point my supplementary texts fitted in perfectly there.

Cabrello

HSC
Jennac88 said:
Does anyone do Ondaatje in Prose Fiction for Module B? Cos that was crap! In our trial paper it was my best section and this time round it sucked! Module A i thought was pretty reasonable and Module C just needed a slight shift in thesis for the notes i had prepared. I do Entension 2 English and was hoping to pull a band 6 in advanced but i think that's gone right out the window...

Agree with you all the way, wtf was up with that. wasn't going to bitch too much because pretty much nobody does In the Skin of A Lion. What really threw me off was asking for specific scenes, that's all well and good if you're doing a play but Ondaatje's scenes are like a paragraph before the po-mo crackhead jumps 30 years either backwards or forwards. I ended up just focusing on the opening scenes about the boy as beginning his characterisation of Patrick and the final scene as the follow through on the characterisation, that he doesn't have a resolv because his dad was the abashed man from 'abashed' and that anything other than following Patrick is unsustainable. I know I screwed it up, I should've argued my reading rather than attacking everyone elses, but oh well

Right now I'm thinking, lets count Ext I and Ext II and my other 8 units...wanting to get into law sucks

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
I thought that was a fairly okay paper - much better than paper 1 IMO lol

I was prepared for the specific scenes question in Module B because I did the 2004 essay the day before that asked pretty much the same thing, so I wasn't as thrown as some of my classmates were. Lucky my scenes vaguely involved Quick :p

Module A question was average. Module C on the other hand... the teachers always tell us not to say whether WE think they are telling the truth or not, and then they go and ask some dumb question on whether we think they are telling the truth!! So I made it up. Gave a "sitting-on-the-fence" answer. Hope I won't get penalised.

aristos

shorty p
HSC
yea i thought the test good..i won't lie it was damn hard but fair i guess...who here did the wuthering heights module b question...we got screwed...everyone came out going what??? it really made you think...no possible generic answers could be used in that question so most ppl were stuffed...get stuffed wuddie for thinking it was easy!!!

Last edited:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
harder than my trials.
made me think ~_~

and i think i fucked up all three questions butt at least i'll get some marks for it.

7-8 pages of bullshit for each = some marks don't ya think? :S

Roobs

HSC
i liked the fact that we had 3 striaght essay...frontline could have been nicer to me if it was more suited to my prepared essay.....

i take htis as a sign though, that were gonna be but fucked in extension, and like asked to write a story in the second person from the perspective of an organ.....

simply__me

HSC
Yeah. Apart from the fact that it was 3 essays, and that they didn't specify any speeches (i did Q.8 for Module B) took a LOT of weight off my shoulders. :D

Although, in saying that, I had prepared perfect responses a few days before, but when it came to the exam.. half of the content just escaped me.. exam conditions..

brack777

HSC
It was pretty easy as for poetry they specifically specified only 2 poems :) Yet it was annoying that I had prepared an essay practically identical to the question in section III yet couldn't remember all those cool points in the exam. Also my conclusion to last essay was so lame, 2 sentences :[.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
My conclusion to all my essays were lame. + I couldn't read most of it anyway. Meh.

I was a bit disappointed that it was all essays. I was looking forward to a nice conversation transcript or speech (but praying that it wasn't a newspaper article or something obscure because Paper 1 had straight-forward text types), but it was all boring boring boring essays. I really felt like being creative! Damn BOS, always wanting to do things their way.

ashh

HSC
wuddie said:
... i know i am going to upset a lot of people, but i felt that the advance paper was one of the easiest test i've ever done. the questions fitted my prepared response perfectly, i was practically laughing in the exam.

anyone felt the same way?
u r off ur rocket.

ur lucky it fitted ur essays. i had that on friday, guess ur luck has 2 run out sumwhere...frontline not so bad, the rest can die...

TimtheEnchanter

HSC
Sorry to keep posting this, but I want to know if the English course had a purpose

I don't see why we're sposed to analyse texts from the feminist, marxist etc perspective (not that it matters now). This has been an issue of debate in politics since someone accused the cirriculum of being Left-wing. If this doesn't make people realise that when you talk to someone you don't weed out every little piece of verbal meaning imaginable along with their posture and the rest of the misen'scene then nothing will.
I always suspected the English course was a crock, just a way to make the gov't look like it's upping the average IQ of the common man (or woman) or making typical conversations more interesting, but I have yet to discover a profession besides professional critic that requires the level of mutilation of texts that we have just learnt.

It's not just me who thinks that studying texts in all these ways that authors never intended destroyed the experience of reading/viewing the text, is it?

When I told my Enlgish teacher that I didn't have to finish the HCS to get where I wanted to go (which was true), she simply asked me: "then why are you here?". This is when it finally clicked that not only is the point of school void of 'learning for the sake of learning' and the topic irrelevant, but it's new point is to present students as a marketable product of the business that are schools. What happened to mankind's thirst for knowledge?

At my school we are always compared to a famous student by the length of our responses, and this English-loving girl could write a lined A4 page in 2 minutes, and it takes most of us 10. She got the highest UAI my school's history, a 99.8, and has been the benchmark to which our teachers have compared us ever since.

I ask you, is this helpful? She was obviously one in a million, but is tragically only remembered because she was good at schoolwork. Most of us aren't like that and quite honestly if I could be, I wouldn't be;

Romans 12:5- "Do not conform to the ways and customs of this world but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way your think"
(I used to be a since nerd, now i want to make videogames)

For those of you doing Modern History and Weimar Germany, this stuff is gold! It tells us how things ended up the way they did, why they did, who stuffed up where and also gives a good idea of how Iraq will wrap up. Facts, people! Board-approved facts!

I know I won't be the only one feeling a bit put out if i never have to use my hard-learnt English skills again after all this hoo-ha.

HSC
TimtheEnchanter said:
Sorry to keep posting this, but I want to know if the English course had a purpose

I don't see why we're sposed to analyse texts from the feminist, marxist etc perspective (not that it matters now). This has been an issue of debate in politics since someone accused the cirriculum of being Left-wing. If this doesn't make people realise that when you talk to someone you don't weed out every little piece of verbal meaning imaginable along with their posture and the rest of the misen'scene then nothing will.
I always suspected the English course was a crock, just a way to make the gov't look like it's upping the average IQ of the common man (or woman) or making typical conversations more interesting, but I have yet to discover a profession besides professional critic that requires the level of mutilation of texts that we have just learnt.

It's not just me who thinks that studying texts in all these ways that authors never intended destroyed the experience of reading/viewing the text, is it?

When I told my Enlgish teacher that I didn't have to finish the HCS to get where I wanted to go (which was true), she simply asked me: "then why are you here?". This is when it finally clicked that not only is the point of school void of 'learning for the sake of learning' and the topic irrelevant, but it's new point is to present students as a marketable product of the business that are schools. What happened to mankind's thirst for knowledge?

At my school we are always compared to a famous student by the length of our responses, and this English-loving girl could write a lined A4 page in 2 minutes, and it takes most of us 10. She got the highest UAI my school's history, a 99.8, and has been the benchmark to which our teachers have compared us ever since.

I ask you, is this helpful? She was obviously one in a million, but is tragically only remembered because she was good at schoolwork. Most of us aren't like that and quite honestly if I could be, I wouldn't be;

Romans 12:5- "Do not conform to the ways and customs of this world but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way your think"
(I used to be a since nerd, now i want to make videogames)

For those of you doing Modern History and Weimar Germany, this stuff is gold! It tells us how things ended up the way they did, why they did, who stuffed up where and also gives a good idea of how Iraq will wrap up. Facts, people! Board-approved facts!

I know I won't be the only one feeling a bit put out if i never have to use my hard-learnt English skills again after all this hoo-ha.

Hmmm some interesting points although most likely they would be better made in the NCAP board.

As for today's exam I have one word: SNAP!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't say it was the easiest exam ever, more a relatively straight forward exam, due to the triple essays. :D

jackal8

HSC
YES I FEEL THAT TOO

the questions did actually fit to my styudies

soim happy

em jayne

HSC
It was easy as. I actually started laughing when we read through the paper and got told to shutup! Before the exam i spent about 10 mins looking for a 4-leaf clover (just to annoy my bf who told me i was ridiculous) to wish for 3 essays. I didnt find one...but man i was happy anyway. Positive energies...lol.

..::staj::..

HSC
Oh, Frontline and BR/BNW were so easy. My prepared essay was prefect! I pumped out 10 pages for each.
But Mod B - King Lear.... I think I cried in the reading time. The fact that I dislike the play didnt make it any easier. However, I managed to bulls*** my way through. With only one quote, that was probably wrong.
So pretty much, I screwed that up.
Im just happy its all over. No more Lear EVER AGAIN. Im psyched!
Now for Visual Arts and Society and Culture.. AH!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)