• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

East Asian Earthquake (1 Viewer)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
i think the worst feeling at the moment is feeling helpless
not being able to do much to help

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
oh gosh, i have just caught up with the news. it's in times like this that we should really pray (for those who believe in the power of prayers).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
when will the toll stop climbing?

ANyway, im interested to know if you were there or in the region, would you leave for home?
Ive had alot of people saying on another forum that its no reason to cancel a holiday?!

I personally would leave, as well it would kind of adding to the strain on supplies etc....

Can anybody find any news on Diego Garcia that island in the middle of the indian ocean with the Us airforce base? surely it must have being hit too....

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
it took me a while to get the news as well, i don't even know when this happened, i didn't realise how much of a disaster it was. i forgot it will impact so many australians directly because we are a multicultural country and have plenty of people from those regions

are the family and friends of everyone on this board ok? can you contact them?

to the post above - of course i would leave and come back home. i would be scared and want to be back in my home country and in my house.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I wouldn't leave ... if i was a tourist i would find some way of helping the communities ... well the same goes if i was a resident as well.

Yay!!! nature is destroying the united states!!!

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Deus said:
when will the toll stop climbing?
who knows, but i don't think it will stop anytime soon...

as sad as it is, i can imagine there would be many thousands more who are still unaccounted for. On top of that there'd be some who survived the tsunamis but may yet die as a result of their injuries, or from disease perhaps...

with all that contaminated water we'll just have to pray that an epidemic doesn't break out...

and the millions of homeless, it'll take a lot for them to re-build their lives :(

its good that the Australian government has decided to pledge $10m. and those two helicopters to help out, as well as well as the $$'s and practical aid of organisations such as CARE, ADRA, Red Cross, etc. and the contributions of private donations...

but compare this amount with the billions of dollars unnecessarily spent pre/post Christmas in Australia ALONE this year... :( :angry:

and then the Sydney NYE fireworks. i mean, they're pretty and fun to watch, and Sydney's renowned world-wide for them, but seriously, what a wicked WASTE of money, when you consider the plight of those less fortunate...

ishq

brown?
HSC
chookyn said:
but compare this amount with the billions of dollars unnecessarily spent pre/post Christmas in Australia ALONE this year... :( :angry:

and then the Sydney NYE fireworks. i mean, they're pretty and fun to watch, and Sydney's renowned world-wide for them, but seriously, what a wicked WASTE of money, when you consider the plight of those less fortunate...
absolutely.

it puts things in perspective.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The Indonesian Government has said that it may have up to 20 000 casualties just in Indonesia....Death toll is now thought to be 35000 could reach 50 000.

Mumma

HSC
And what about the homeless and the disease thats surely going to start spreading around very soon? Thousands more are going to die as a result from this tsunami, even though indirectly.

persephone

HSC
it's such a waste of life. a natural disaster killed thousands of people and it served no purpose. the tsunami didn't kill bad guys just thousands of innocent people.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
iambored said:
it took me a while to get the news as well, i don't even know when this happened, i didn't realise how much of a disaster it was.
are the family and friends of everyone on this board ok? can you contact them?
I didn't realise how severe it was until like reading this on the board. I don't know why but i feel really sad. It feels so surreal. I had a dream about it last night, too and that just add onto the whole effect. My bro's best friend is Sri Lankan and i have no idea if he went back or not. hope he's alright. :(

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
YEs, my mum was in india a few weeks ago....

Officials fear the figure could rise to almost 57,000.

Indonesia said its toll could hit 25,000, while Sri Lankan officials warned up to 20,000 people may have died there. Thailand said its toll may exceed 2000.

These figures are preliminary and in some cases rough estimates by local officials:

Country > Deaths > Injured

Bangladesh 2

India 9396

Indonesia 4912 > up to 100,000

Malaysia 59 218

Maldives 52

Myanmar 34

Somalia 38

Sri Lanka 12,212

Thailand 990 > 7,000

Total 27,695

Last edited:

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
my cousin was going to be in phuket , but we told her we'd disown her from the family if she missed xmas with the family...she loves us even more now

if everyone in this thred donated $5....that would be cool...

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes i myself shall be donating sometime soon :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The scary thing is that those special effects of disaster movies such as Deep Impact actually happened (to an extent)...

^___^
HSC
death toll : 40 000

and whats worst? fears of disease like malaria will occure cos the dead cannot be burned/buried quickly enough

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Tsunami toll over 55,000

Officals are now warning of the possibility of over 100000 casulaties by the time this is all over

Mumma

HSC
60,000 :(
I wouldnt be suprised if it hits 100,000... the toll has already increased 8.5x from that first day. Remember when it was only 7,000? Damn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)