East Asian Earthquake (2 Viewers)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
You guys are all so blinded by your hatred of america it scares me..
America disagrees politically with a bunch of these countries, the countries also have fairly corrupt governments and it is uncertain if money given to them will actually reach those who need it.
America gives more money to the red cross than we could ever hope to get together...

I'm sick of you people with your righteousness trying to make yourselves feel good, hows bout how we celebrated christmas instead of worrying about hudreds of thousands more dead in the the sudan.

I'm hearing people here complaining about americans at a baseball game having a minute silence for the death of a baseballer and how bad that makes them, shit i bet you guys are signing up to join the red cross over there and give everything you can eh?

While we're on the matter of australia and america not giving enough ($35,000,000 and 45,000,000 respectively) how much money has the EU given? or China?

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Is anyone thinking of donating monies? I am...The second wave of pestilence will be just as bitter me thinks.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
By all means people donate money, it is imo a good cause and you will hopefully manage to help people (however u should be making regular donations if this is really your goal anyway).

I just hope people realise that the reason you are donating is probably just because you've seen images, heard of things happening which disturb/upset you.
Any donation made is made because it makes you feel good, don't assume that people not donating are heartless as you are only doing something to make yourself feel better.

nicko88

whatever..
HSC
seriously, why are Australians complaining that the government isn't doing enough? isn't the government doing the best they can?

i mean, we've already donated $10 million.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Actually Australia has donated $35 million, america $45 million, japan $30 million and germany $3 million last I heard, as we should considering our closeness to these countries in particular indonesia.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
doggogo8 said:
Such a scary earthquake , i hope it doesn't happen in taiwan or japan.
The economy will crumble down!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, will it happen in Sydney , that'll be horrible...........
Ofcourse sometime it will happen to japan - japan is on a fault line. And chances of an earthquake happening in sydney would be very very rare. Intraplate earthquakes generally aren't as powerful and frequent as interplate earthquakes.

Pace Setter

Not-That-Bright said:
I'm hearing people here complaining about americans at a baseball game having a minute silence for the death of a baseballer and how bad that makes them, shit i bet you guys are signing up to join the red cross over there and give everything you can eh?
Whilst at other sporting events around the world, the same was instead done for the victims of the natural disasters. I'm not sure about whether the complaints about the ignorance of the disaster were completely unjustified- the preference of placing the importance of the death of a sporting hero ahead of that of the earthquake/tsunami victims.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes but my point is that there are always huge disasters all around the world, are we to put them always before what we care about more?
If bradman had died on the day of the quakes would cricketers not have a minutes silence for his death?

Seriously the only reason people do things like this is to make yourself feel better, you feel better by taking a minutes silence because you feel you have paid your respects. This is all fine but what's not cool is insulting other people because they have different priorities to you.

Pace Setter

I was going to include that Bradman example. At the cricket yesterday they wore black arm bands for the incident. Now if Bradman died the same day, would they not have also commemorated the natural disaster at the same time? And if that sportsperson hadnt died over in America, would they have had a minute of silence instead, for the natural disasters? It's a hypothetical, but I think not. The criticism's about the apparent ignorance towards the event, as if it hadnt happened at all-at least compared to the attitude here in Aus nad a couple of other countries. I guess it's because we're in the same geographic region-but hey, you can't say the criticism's completely unjustified.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
oh is it true that earthquakes and tsunamis only happen around the ring of fire?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i agree with generator. why can the occur in other places though, not just on the boundaries? what is the ring of fire?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
theone123 said:
oh is it true that earthquakes and tsunamis only happen around the ring of fire?
Volcanoes only happen around the ring of fire.

Interplate earthquakes occur along plate boundaries.

Intraplate earthquakes occur inside plate boundaries like the newcastle earthquake.

Tsunamis can occur anywhere - although more likely to occur in verticial movement of plates on plate boundaries.

Talking of sports stars in the tsunami - jean todt and rory byrne were trapped in thailand when the tsunami hit - for those who don't know they design ferrari.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Cape said:
Volcanoes only happen around the ring of fire.

Interplate earthquakes occur along plate boundaries.

Intraplate earthquakes occur inside plate boundaries like the newcastle earthquake.

Tsunamis can occur anywhere - although more likely to occur in verticial movement of plates on plate boundaries.

Talking of sports stars in the tsunami - jean todt and rory byrne were trapped in thailand when the tsunami hit - for those who don't know they design ferrari.
Your first statement is not true. Volcanoes can happen on any convergent tectonic plate boundary, as well as weak points in the crust. That's why we have volcanoes in Australia, even if they have been extinct for millions of years.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Tsunami death toll: 116,000

# Death toll from tsunamis jumps sharply to over 116,000
# Indonesia reports nearly 80,000 people killed in that country alone
# Sri Lanka increases the death toll there to more than 24,000
# U.N. counts more than $220 million in cash and aid commitments

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Kwayera said:
Your first statement is not true. Volcanoes can happen on any convergent tectonic plate boundary, as well as weak points in the crust. That's why we have volcanoes in Australia, even if they have been extinct for millions of years.
oops i forgot about the convergent :rolleyes: there are also volcanoes in europe - mt etna and some in america.

lets have an ees lesson:

for those who don't know a convergent boundary looks like this: /\ hence why a volcano is formed.

yes ... australia has many of extinct volcanoes especially on the east coast ... cause australia was once on the edge of the plate boundary.

Plebeian

I am generally a very pro-American person, but a donation from the USA of $45 million, when both the Republican and Democratic parties spent over a billion EACH ( :eek: ) on their presidential election campaigns, is pretty tiny.

Pace Setter said:
And if that sportsperson hadnt died over in America, would they have had a minute of silence instead, for the natural disasters? It's a hypothetical, but I think not.
What basis do you have for saying they wouldn't have had a minute's silence? That seems like a very unjustified comment to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)