• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

eco or bio?! (1 Viewer)

D

dzzlng_07

advice please: eco or bio?!

heyy, schools just about to start and im already wanting to change my subjects. im currently doing 3umaths, 3u eng, chem, phys, and bio..

i just think that theres hardly any variety in my subs (all 3 sci). im scared to choose eco, because i wouldnt know if im good at it or not and i didnt do commerce in year 9 & 10. i looked in the eco txtbook and it looked pretty interesting...

so any suggestions ppl?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pLuvia

Re: advice please: eco or bio?!

Biology had heaps of fun in year 11 and really interesting once you get to year 12.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
It depends on what you consider as "fun" or "interesting". If you enjoy science, bio is a good choice. On the other hand, I wouldn't consider eco as "fun" but it is certainly interesting and applicable to the real world.

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Economics is an entirely different way of thinking. It utilises the mathematics in the comparison of opportunity costs and economic strategies, however moreso examines human behaviour in the pursuit to establish market equilibrium. I guess economics can only really be appreciated once it is studied, ohh btw it is nothing like commerce. Commerce is more like business studies.

I suppose some details include Economics scaling better than Biology significantly - and by the look of your other subjects scaling will seriously benefit you. Economics will also provide a break from the pure science nature of your remaining subjects. Negatives are that economics consumes a great deal of time if you wish to truly understand the course but is honestly something you can emerse yourself in for great periods of time.

My HSC Subjects: 4u English, 3u maths, economics, SDD

Personally, I did chemistry for a year and dropped it because I found it comprised too much of it's marks from experiments and practical assessments which can go horribly wrong (prac exams). If that is a concern of yours, I'd say choose economics due to it's concrete syllabus structure and theoretical foundation. Please truly consider the course as a serious option, it is a fantastic opportunity to utilise the HSC in order to expand your horizons. With a pure science base you are restricted to the world of science moreso than if you included a business oriented subject (social science).

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
depends on what you are comfortable with; everybody is different.

Are you a humanities or a science person?

D

dzzlng_07

thanks for the advice guys. um, i did enjoy science in year 9 & 10 so thats why i chose all three sciences. but i've also heard doing so many sciences can be overwelmingly hard eg, too many prac reports and exams all at once. i wouldnt know anything about economics or if i'll be good at it. but yeah, bio was a subject that i was planning to drop in yr12 anyhow.. so i guess i'll just choose eco. it seems more important

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Don't guess, know what you are going to do.

If I was you though, I would choose eco because I couldn't stand the idea of doing 6 units worths of science. Unless you really enjoy science. Which I don't. But then that's me :p

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
Bwuahahaha oh wow you're the sixth person I've seen so far doing those subjects :p

Last year during the subject selection period my parents were trying to make me do eco, which I refused, the reason being that I didn't do commerce in Years 8 or 9 or 10 (not that I was interested in finance stuff anyway haha :p). But the teachers my mum asked during the parent-teacher night all told us that you don't have to do commerce in the junior years to be able to do eco in senior school - the only difference would be that you'd need to learn some new vocabs, which would be pretty quick anyway as my geography teacher (she also teaches commerce) had once said. So if you prefer financial stuff then...go for it! :D

On the other hand, doing all three sciences would help greatly with each other, for example, there are topics in chemistry that would be helped if you also do physics and biology (biochemistry for instance). So I wouldn't really see how would doing all three be bad...then again I only do phys and chem, but that's because I don't exactly like bio :p

frootloop

HSC
I enjoyed Biology. :) Year 12 Bio is so much better than yr 11 Bio. :uhhuh:

If Economics is anything like Business Studies I would say don't do it! But that's entirely my opinion. :p Keep in mind that I had a horrible teacher... so, I ended up seriously regreting choosing Business. I also found it boring but it wasn't difficult. Just know and use the terminology and you can bs your way to good marks.

It's entirely up to you. Choose what you want to do.

I wasn't much help was I? Oh well. :wave:

kikkogirl

HSC
OMG, I too am in this situation I chose Biology due to pressure from peers and now I want back!
I know economics is really good, I too have looked at some economics textbooks and have already learnt Opportunity Costs, example being able to study for a few hours say, means I can't go to the shops to buy new clothes!
Average costs, a bit of how supply and demand works. (elastisticity!)
Economics is way better than Biology, First year of biology looks dodgy...
I hope I can get my classes changed. :)

Anyway, someone try and sway me back so I don't have to write a letter to request change of subjects. The principal looks so evil.

Last edited:

whatdafork

HSC
Do both the subject and drop Physics haha

Then you'll have the same subjects as me for prelims

Don't worry about the fact that you didn't do Commerce in years 9/10. I also didn't do Commerce, but chose Economics anyway. You'll struggle a bit in the first few weeks and feel kind of shit when everyone else gets stuff like what the 5 sector model is while your sitting there going wtf. But eventually, everyone pretty much ends up at the same level of understanding anyway. When I first started the prelim course, I really wanted to drop it because nothing seemed to make sense, but if you persevere then eventually you'll understand it and find that it gets really interesting. Might I also add, that this girl who did economics at my school a few years back also didn't do Year 9-10 commerce, and she ended up coming first in the school for the subject. So don't let the fact that not having done commerce deter you from doing the course.

Hehe, I also love biology equally as much as economics. It's the easiest of the sciences if you aren't the numbers sort of person and pretty interesting at some sections. The good thing about Biology, is that some of the stuff you learn in prelims and even Year 10 passes on to the HSC course, so it's just a matter of relearning the information. Oh and you get fun pracs in biology....who wouldn't want to view their finger under the microscope lol.

D

dzzlng_07

yeahh... i've done the first terms work for physics and i aint all that great at it. but im keeping to it since its "important".
i chose bio as a "fun" subject because all my other subjects are all pretty loaded, so that way, i can relax in bio.
i want to choose eco because its more important and i think i'd take it more seriously than bio.
so its like this, if i choose bio then ill probably 100% be dropping it. if i choose eco, i might consider keeping it if im good and drop another subject- like physics :confused:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
frootloop said:
If Economics is anything like Business Studies I would say don't do it! But that's entirely my opinion. :p Keep in mind that I had a horrible teacher... so, I ended up seriously regreting choosing Business. I also found it boring but it wasn't difficult. Just know and use the terminology and you can bs your way to good marks.

Business studies is NOTHING like Economics. Sure there are one or two things that you learn in both courses, but the style, structure, and demands of the two couldnt be more different.

Skater_bum

HSC

i think bio will be more interesting unless you like more statistic based learning

Last edited:

thecan

HSC

Economics has NOTHING to do with commerce its not funny. The SC commerce course 04/05 was pretty much just general knowledge. You should have no problems with picking up Economics if you have an interest in the subject and choose to take it.......I am

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
dzzlng_07 said:
yeahh... i've done the first terms work for physics and i aint all that great at it. but im keeping to it since its "important".
i chose bio as a "fun" subject because all my other subjects are all pretty loaded, so that way, i can relax in bio.
i want to choose eco because its more important and i think i'd take it more seriously than bio.
so its like this, if i choose bio then ill probably 100% be dropping it. if i choose eco, i might consider keeping it if im good and drop another subject- like physics :confused:
what do you mean by important?

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
Ok im doing the 3 sciences now and i regret not choosing economics. Firstly Eco scales way better than bio, even better than phys and chem. Also Economics is one of those courses where its not all that hard to get into, like its most reading like biology, but a much easier course.

When you do the 3 sciences like i am now, they get a bit boring after a year, like doing all 3, if i only did 1 or 2 it wouldnt be so bad, though im confused with what to drop, chem or phys, god dammit!!.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)