• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ECON 1002 (1 Viewer)

sarevok

HSC
brogan77 said:
my calculated y is 24166
mate i think you missed a decimal place there :p

if you havent worked out how to do national saving yet, think leakages = injections

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Bahah you guys are a crackup.

Any more ideas for Q3? Are economists wrong after all? partly wrong? (does that even make sense)

Lainee

HSC
llamalope said:
OMG... so glad my mid semester was an essay

(stream 6)
Freaking yes... I can't remember learning half of that stuff in our stream. Good thing with Catherine is that whenever we encounter a lot of dense theory she tells us not to worry about it too much as we won't be examined on it. <3

HSC
011 said:
Bahah you guys are a crackup.

Any more ideas for Q3? Are economists wrong after all? partly wrong? (does that even make sense)
this question is gay. the stimulus and the question dont really relate.
i said theyre not wrong though

sarevok

HSC
011 said:
i said they're right and the stimulus could be explained by increased inflation, changes in Ca and b etc etc

kow_dude

HSC
sarevok said:
i said they're right and the stimulus could be explained by increased inflation, changes in Ca and b etc etc
Isnt it decreased inflation that stimulates people to consume more (cheaper goods)?

HSC
011 said:
.... at first you'd expect GDP to increase if people consume less, because they will save and invest more (and GDP = C+I+G+NX). But infact what's happened is that GDP has decreased....

Is that it? Sounds good.
Any takers?
can you explain this a bit?.. im not sure why people would save/invest more if they consume less....like...what theory was that part of keynes?, neoclassicals? solow? :confused:

Oh..and..
is autonomous consumption independent of income??

Last edited:

sarevok

HSC
kow_dude said:
Isnt it decreased inflation that stimulates people to consume more (cheaper goods)?
ummm maybe i'm not sure??

i mean fisher equation i = r + ei ... the high interest rates the article is referrign to may be the nominal rates increased by inflation, but r hasnt changed, so ppl still consume the same

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
ToO LaZy ^* said:
can you explain this a bit?.. im not sure why people would save/invest more if they consume less....like...what theory was that part of keynes?, neoclassicals? solow? :confused:
That was an assumption. Albeit a slightly dangerous one.

HSC
011 said:
So you say the puzzle is that, at first you'd expect GDP to increase if people consume less, because they will save and invest more (and GDP = C+I+G+NX). But infact what's happened is that GDP has decreased, because of the multiplier effect, and infact the equilibrium GDP follows your equation, so that a decrease in b would RAISE gdp as expected, but a decrease in Ca actually LOWERS GDP.

Is that it? Sounds good.
Any takers?
but a change in Ca doesnt affect b.

Rorix

HSC
011 said:
So you say the puzzle is that, at first you'd expect GDP to increase if people consume less, because they will save and invest more (and GDP = C+I+G+NX). But infact what's happened is that GDP has decreased, because of the multiplier effect, and infact the equilibrium GDP follows your equation, so that a decrease in b would RAISE gdp as expected, but a decrease in Ca actually LOWERS GDP.

Is that it? Sounds good.
Any takers?
If you think that it would make sense that GDP would rise with falling consumption, then I guess that could be a puzzle. There are more obvious 'puzzles' though. I think by puzzle Atta means something that someone who did not know any economics would understand.

Atta and his ambigious questions. :mad:.

HSC
Rorix said:
If you think that it would make sense that GDP would rise with falling consumption, then I guess that could be a puzzle. There are more obvious 'puzzles' though. I think by puzzle Atta means something that someone who did not know any economics would understand.

Atta and his ambigious questions. :mad:.
do you have any ideas on what the puzzle could be?
i know that the % fall in GDP > % fall in national savings...but i dont know where that leads to, if anything.

Rorix

HSC
Atta asks you to compare national saving both before and after the shift in consumption. What would, intuitively, if you hadn't done economics before (or maybe you still think so intuitively) would you expect national savings to do after a fall in autonomous consumption?

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
Atta asks you to compare national saving both before and after the shift in consumption. What would, intuitively, if you hadn't done economics before (or maybe you still think so intuitively) would you expect national savings to do after a fall in autonomous consumption?
That's exactly what we've been saying is it not? Expect it to increase, but it decreases. I can't find any simpler puzzle than that.

sarevok

HSC
do they actually want us to solve the puzzle or just state what it is?

Rorix

HSC
011 said:
That's exactly what we've been saying is it not? Expect it to increase, but it decreases. I can't find any simpler puzzle than that.

You've been suggesting that a fall in consumption will generally have an expansionary effect on the economy, and that it's suprising that national income falls with falls in autonomous consumption. If that makes sense to you, go ahead and write it.

And sarevok, I believe you're supposed to present some reasoning for why what you supposedly didn't expect to happen has happened. Personally just graphing a S = -a + MPS(Y) curve seems like there wouldn't actually be a puzzle here, but that's Atta for you.

jpr333

HSC
So what did people actually get for q4(a), i got 642 but it looks wrong and i'm not too sure about my methodology. Actually i missed the last tute cause i was sick, is it relevant to this if so im screwed.

Last edited:

kow_dude

HSC
jpr333 said:
So what did people actually get for q4(a), i got 642 but it looks wrong and i'm not too sure about my methodology.
Refer to previous posts.

I'm almost too embarassed to ask, but in regards lecture 10 slide 9,
how did Atta get:

(1 - b)Y = Ca + I

to

Y* = 1/(1-b)[Ca + I)

.... and Y* is equilibrium income right?! o_O

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
kow_dude said:
Refer to previous posts.

I'm almost too embarassed to ask, but in regards lecture 10 slide 9,
how did Atta get:

(1 - b)Y = Ca + I

to

Y* = 1/(1-b)[Ca + I)

.... and Y* is equilibrium income right?! o_O
in atta style response...just put a 1 in front of Ca + I and you will get your answer :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)