• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ECON 1002 (2 Viewers)

jpr333

HSC
I've read this thread thoroughly through 5 times and I'm quite sure noone gave a definite answer for part (a) part (b) confirmed yes but not (a).

kow_dude

HSC
Sarah168 said:
in atta style response...just put a 1 in front of Ca + I and you will get your answer :p
OMG.... nevermind. Atta has written it Y* = 1/(1-b)[ca+1] which looks like 1 divided by the denominator (1-b)[ca+1]....... but it is in fact [1/(1-b)] x [Ca + 1].... ffs

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
OK can anyone verify why the puzzle was there in the first place?

Im gettin mighty tired of doing this assig :\

kow_dude

HSC
I'm still trying to work out the puzzle as well. Rorix previously said that the puzzle could be someone who hasnt done economics would do. By comparing the the two different consumption functions, the difference in GDP is 625 and national saving is 50. That looks like a puzzle to me....lol

sarevok

HSC
sooo...any ideas about how is v related to the real wage? :p

jpr333

HSC
The puzzle from what I gathered is that consumption decreases therefore savings should increase since Y = C + S, but since it's autonomous consumption only and every thing else begin equal the equilibrum/income and therefore national savings decreases ??

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
kow_dude said:
I'm still trying to work out the puzzle as well. Rorix previously said that the puzzle could be someone who hasnt done economics would do. By comparing the the two different consumption functions, the difference in GDP is 625 and national saving is 50. That looks like a puzzle to me....lol
Why would you expect the two to be the same?

kow_dude

HSC
no of course not......

i dont know... i'm very tired at the moment!

sarevok

HSC
perhaps this puzzle has something to do with keynes' 'paradox of thrift'? which says that because people want to spend and less and save more, less is being produced, and there is less income...
though this hasn't been covered in lectures...

sarevok

HSC
I agree...in fact, it should be possible to prove the paradox of thrift through the multiplier

ok, so the decline in auto consumption should have decreased gdp by (1/1-0.8) * 75

in turn, this would reduce saving as well: by marginal propensity to save * [(1/1-08) * 75]

agreed??

Last edited:

jpr333

HSC
I considered this, except for the fact that a multiplier of 5 should decrease GDP by 375 and this doesn't match the figures in the qs so I left it out.

Oh and I think the multiplier doesn't work that way, it is defined as 1/mpc or 1/(1-mps) it can't double dip.

Last edited:

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Think about it - would Atta really put as an answer something none of us would have ever heard before even with textbook research?

kow_dude

HSC
011 said:
Think about it - would Atta really put as an answer something none of us would have ever heard before even with textbook research?
I would. It's the last question of the assignment. I would think it's the hardest question thus needing a bit of research :)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
I read that more as saying if you borrow ideas to supplement whats already been done in lectures that help us answer the questions.

Perhaps I should rephrase - i doubt he'd put something as one answer, that so few would actually come across even with strenuous research in books/net.

sarevok

HSC
jpr333 said:
Oh and I think the multiplier doesn't work that way, it is defined as 1/mpc or 1/(1-mps) it can't double dip.
no idea what you mean by that

011 said:
Perhaps I should rephrase - i doubt he'd put something as one answer, that so few would actually come across even with strenuous research in books/net.
the fact that it refers to borrowed ideas means research should be allowable. but what i thinking of how to answer this question was to derive the paradox of thrift through the equation. unfortunately i can't figure out how to do that.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
If the numbers dont support it, then it just cant happen in that situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)