Econ majors (2 Viewers)

Killua101

HSC
Hi, can anyone explain the differences between the different majors of UNSW B.Eco (like economics, fin econ and econometrics)!!!
Thanks in advance

SirKeynes

HSC
I think first year should give you a good feel for it.
Major in Economics is like a continuation of Macro and Micro- a bit more theoritical, policies and startegies for economic functioning of the country (Macro) or individual industries/businesses (Micro).
Econometrics is a continuation if the STATS subjects. If you like analysing numeric data that is the one for you. Regression analysis, forecasting, etc. Alot if the jobs will be in this major.
Financial economics as suggested by the name is a combination of finance and economics (such that even the units are shared to some extent) it has to do with the pricing of financial instruments in the context of the economy's exchange rate, policies et al. This may also be more practical than economics.

I am sure you can find more details on the university's website. But you can't go wrong with agricultural economics :)

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
I have friends doing econometrics and they don't recommend it because it lacks rigour in mathematics. And if you want to really understand what's going on, you'll need the mathematics. Thus, you're better off doing stats.

SirKeynes

HSC
The maths in economics really does depend on your selection. Macro based subjects can be a whole bunch of essays albeit there are courses there with intense calculus.

Killua101

HSC
I think first year should give you a good feel for it.
Major in Economics is like a continuation of Macro and Micro- a bit more theoritical, policies and startegies for economic functioning of the country (Macro) or individual industries/businesses (Micro).
Econometrics is a continuation if the STATS subjects. If you like analysing numeric data that is the one for you. Regression analysis, forecasting, etc. Alot if the jobs will be in this major.
Financial economics as suggested by the name is a combination of finance and economics (such that even the units are shared to some extent) it has to do with the pricing of financial instruments in the context of the economy's exchange rate, policies et al. This may also be more practical than economics.

I am sure you can find more details on the university's website. But you can't go wrong with agricultural economics :)
Well im doing econ with actuarial and doing a stat subject isnt a prerequisite for me... so im not really sure if econometrics is a thing for me (wanting to do that as a major), any other ways i can gain an insight??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)