Economics HSC Exam Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

notme123

HSC

ArtOfSmart did their own video and answered all the HSC Eco questions - haven't watched it, but they usually have a decent idea about what is going on tbh.
actually decided to watch the video and realized everyone I know got that tollway question wrong. that question is just terrible. an externality is an unintended side effect, that's what they were testing. but for something to be an externality it has to be a side effect in the first place. a,b or c can all be argued as not being externalities because they may not happen. yes, I believe d is the most correct answer because it mentions users but the hsc uses item analysis to back up their answers, and let me tell you d is not the most chosen answer and this question will most likely be a write-off.

zbolland

HSC
actually decided to watch the video and realized everyone I know got that tollway question wrong. that question is just terrible. an externality is an unintended side effect, that's what they were testing. but for something to be an externality it has to be a side effect in the first place. a,b or c can all be argued as not being externalities because they may not happen. yes, I believe d is the most correct answer because it mentions users but the hsc uses item analysis to back up their answers, and let me tell you d is not the most chosen answer and this question will most likely be a write-off.
like they said in the video though, the most far fetched and most vague answer is C. this question won’t be a write-off, if anything, they will give two answers, but C is definitely the answer. it is the only one that makes sense.

notme123

HSC
like they said in the video though, the most far fetched and most vague answer is C. this question won’t be a write-off, if anything, they will give two answers, but C is definitely the answer. it is the only one that makes sense.
ok explain why a and b dont make sense
for me, a makes sense because a bypass will make cars less idle and thus less noise pollution on streets. b makes sense because a bypass will mean less cars are caught up at traffic lights on local roads, hence less traffic. i dont see how a highway can create more traffic.

sab13562

HSC
for me, a makes sense because a bypass will make cars less idle and thus less noise pollution on streets. b makes sense because a bypass will mean less cars are caught up at traffic lights on local roads, hence less traffic. i dont see how a highway can create more traffic.
I think it's B, because if there are tollways, then traffic will decrease significantly locally and therefore, B is not an externality. A is incorrect though, as tollways will increase noise pollution, I just read it on many websites such as this:

having a home near expressways may impact the quality of life of the residents because of increased exposure to noise and air pollution.

As for C, it is very debatable as some studies prove that it depreciates house prices while others prove that they cause property appreciation.

And D is completely wrong, as it is an intended consequence, and externalities are unintended side effects.

So I reckon there will be two answers for this MC, that is, B or C, but I'm leaning more towards B.

notme123

HSC
And D is completely wrong, as it is an intended consequence, and externalities are unintended side effects.
no d is correct because since its intended, its NOT an externality which is what the q is asking. this is what they tried to test but they did it poorly. they couldve chosen a better question for example: which of the following is not an externality for creating a port near a city:
A: more boat noise pollution
B: more oil pollution in oceans
C: increased trade flows to the city
D: increased incomes for workers on site

answer is obviously c cuz c is intended thus not an externality

Jojofelyx

HSC
Hey guys, we can't change answers now, can we? Its in the hands of the higher ups at the economics marking. Poopy question :\

notme123

HSC
Hey guys, we can't change answers now, can we? Its in the hands of the higher ups at the economics marking. Poopy question :\
you can always email them but idk if it would work. they shouldnt be putting kids future on the line tho. more thought and care shouldve been put into this exam. all my teachers colleagues didnt like this exam, all sections

sab13562

HSC
no d is correct because since its intended, its NOT an externality which is what the q is asking. this is what they tried to test but they did it poorly. they couldve chosen a better question for example: which of the following is not an externality for creating a port near a city:
A: more boat noise pollution
B: more oil pollution in oceans
C: increased trade flows to the city
D: increased incomes for workers on site

answer is obviously c cuz c is intended thus not an externality
Oh my, D completely went over my head, and twice! 😅😅😅😅 you're right its D. Then again, you could argue the other points as well. As you said, poor word choice.

sab13562

HSC
you can always email them but idk if it would work. they shouldnt be putting kids future on the line tho. more thought and care shouldve been put into this exam. all my teachers colleagues didnt like this exam, all sections
I hated the last section most. The essay options were terrible, and threw me off real bad 😕

zbolland

HSC
you are definitely over-thinking it. under the assumption that removing traffic lights leads to more traffic being built up:

A: traffic lights are removed = traffic is built up (traffic lights prevent traffic lmao) = more cars accumulating = noise pollution from cars

B: removing traffic lights = more traffic on both the tollway and local streets. this is the easiest one to eliminate and cannot be true at all.

C: if we set aside definitions, a tollway with no traffic lights will create noise pollution and traffic (as per above) = decreased value of local properties and land. why would anyone want to invest in a city where traffic and pollution is rampant? it’s not an externality (hence the answer is C) as the value of land does not increase as a result of this decision, instead it falls.

Last edited:

zbolland

HSC
if you take a step-back and re-read the question, despite it being vague, you will realise that C’s supposed positive impact is so so so far fetched that it cannot possibly be true and as i’ve proven above, is untrue.

zbolland

HSC
NOTE: THIS IS THE ‘MOST CORRECT’ ANSWER

alternatively
, if we assume that the removal of the traffic lights allows for more free flowing traffic and allows more cars to pass through.

A: more cars passing through = more noise pollution from cars (easy to explain)

B: local streets will build up because cars will be more free flowing on the tollway, creating traffic on local streets where traffic lights still exist.

C: even tho there is less traffic on the tollway (under the assumption above), noise pollution has increased as per above and local street traffic has increased. the value of land will decrease for obvious reasons. who wants to live somewhere where pollution and traffic exists lmao? there is no externality here!

D: removal of traffic lights = more free flowing traffic = decreased travel time on the tollway.

Last edited:

sab13562

HSC
[
alternatively, if we assume that the removal of the traffic lights allows for more free flowing traffic and allows more cars to pass through.

A: more cars passing through = more noise pollution from cars (easy to explain)

B: local streets will build up because cars will be more free flowing on the tollway, creating traffic on local streets where traffic lights still exist.

C: even tho there is less traffic on the tollway (under the assumption above), noise pollution has increased as per above and local street traffic has increased. the value of land will decrease for obvious reasons. who wants to live somewhere where pollution and traffic exists lmao? there is no externality here!

D: removal of traffic lights = more free flowing traffic = decreased travel time on the tollway.
Honestly I overthank this question way too much. Thanks for clearing it up!

zbolland

HSC
as i’ve proven, even if the removal of traffic lights on the tollway leads to more free-flowing cars and less traffic) as cars don’t have to stop at the lights) OR if the removal of traffic lights leads to even more traffic (due to the lack of lights allowing cars to go through), the answer comes out to be C in both cases lol

zbolland

HSC
[

Honestly I overthank this question way too much. Thanks for clearing it up!
dude everyone did, don’t worry. i think they will give more than one answer to the question tbh, but i am very sure that the final answer is C.

sab13562

HSC
dude everyone did, don’t worry. i think they will give more than one answer to the question tbh, but i am very sure that the final answer is C.
Good to know. Yeah, I also think that more than one answer will be given.

notme123

HSC
B: removing traffic lights = more traffic on both the tollway and local streets. this is the easiest one to eliminate and cannot be true at all.
i dont get these explanations they dont make sense. i dont think theyre literally removing traffic lights, its a new highway created that removes the use of 24 traffic lights

for the first one yes existing traffic will still exist but i dont think it increases.
second one i dont know what you mean tbh

sab13562

HSC
i dont get these explanations they dont make sense. i dont think theyre literally removing traffic lights, its a new highway created that removes the use of 24 traffic lights
God now I'm lost 😅😅😅. Im sticking to B at this point.

notme123

HSC
think about it like this
if you have 100 cars in total starting from point a, 50 want to get from point a to point b on the other side of 24 traffic lights, the other 50 need to use the traffic lights to move within town, the bypass will reduce the usage of traffic lights from 100 to 50 cars, creating less traffic in local streets.

whatever we cant change it now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)