Economics versus Political Economy (1 Viewer)

CHOWduh

slightly stressed..
HSC
So I'm thinking of giving Economics (ECON1001) a second chance next year after having a break from it since HSC this year. However I've been told if I'm not a fan of equations and math-related problems, Political Economy may be better suited as it looks at the sociological impact of the economy?

Can anyone give me some pros and cons on either subject?

Thanks.

spence

HSC
I'm doing both and personally prefer ECOP, ECON is pretty mathsy, and from what I've heard once you get into second year the maths is intense

wagga

HSC
ECOP1001 is good, but it is all downhill from there, plus it is basically a bunch of neo - Marxists desperately trying to indoctrinate the younger generation. If you actually intend on getting a job do ECON (if you can't do both).

HSC
wagga said:
ECOP1001 is good, but it is all downhill from there, plus it is basically a bunch of neo - Marxists desperately trying to indoctrinate the younger generation. If you actually intend on getting a job do ECON (if you can't do both).
Yeah I know...one of my ECOP tutors chastised me for not talking about the class basis of neoliberalism in an essay...

wagga

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Yeah I know...one of my ECOP tutors chastised me for not talking about the class basis of neoliberalism in an essay...
Yeah, I remember writing an essay for ecop1001 with a mate, we researched the whole thing together, so were using very similar materials, yet I deliberately wrote a very left wing essay and got 18/20, whereas he did not and got 12. Having read both, I would have rated his essay ahead of mine by some margin.

HSC
Urm...I don't think all of the political economists at usyd are marxists. Frank Stilwell, Bryan rafferty, Gabrielle Meagher and Dick Bryan (from memory) are more institutional economists - in the tradition of Galbraith and Veblen - than Marxists.

Political Economy is code word for lefty economics - which includes, but is not limited to, Marxism

I know that UNSW has a political economy faculty, which I'd assume has the same political orientation as USyd, but I'm not sure

uder

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
So the economics faculty would be more right wing?
They teach mainstream economics. There is little explicit political content compared to political economy. But yes a lot of the theories they teach are a part of a neoliberal ideology.

bustinjustin

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Urm...I don't think all of the political economists at usyd are marxists. Frank Stilwell, Bryan rafferty, Gabrielle Meagher and Dick Bryan (from memory) are more institutional economists - in the tradition of Galbraith and Veblen - than Marxists.

Political Economy is code word for lefty economics - which includes, but is not limited to, Marxism

I know that UNSW has a political economy faculty, which I'd assume has the same political orientation as USyd, but I'm not sure
Actually 'Political Economy' is also code for Keynesianism at other unis (and just that). Apparently that's what it's like at At UNSW, they apparently don't go much further than Keynesianism (people apparently walk away from ECOP at UNSW ... as milton friedman fans!). ECOP at Usyd is much, much wider in scope, there are very few departments that teach what they do. Depending on the unit, apart from neo-marxism (or macro and micro, and fiscal vs monetary in ECON), in ECOP you'll encounter post-keynesianism, post-Ricardian, the french 'regulation' (eng: normalisation) school, spatial political economy (or economic geography), ecological political economy, and perhaps most importantly, institutional political economy (or institutional economics). And you'll also encounter feminist political economy (and for those of you who hate this, if it's taught, it's usually only for a week or so).

The main upshot of all of this is not that it sets out to be"leftist" economics, but its heterodox - they really do try to teach you as many schools of thought as possible. And certainly, in the classes I've been in anyway, there have still been people who've walked away remaining as neoclassical fans (whose support for the orthodoxy has actually grown even stronger after having a taste of what else is out there). That said, I've done pre-honours classes, which are in a completely different league to the 'pass' classes.

ECOP is an intellectual pursuit more than anything else, but in terms of career outcomes, I think most go on to the public service, journalism, research, think tanks, etc (rather than UBS or the like). It depends on the individual of course, but there are actually ECOP grads out there at the likes of JP Morgan, etc.

As much as ECOP may seem like leftist 'indoctrination' to some, the irony is that it explicitly teaches you to look out for political agendas and values behind economic discourses. At the very least, ECOP lecturers are upfront about their political values - unlike other departments, they don't make any token efforts to appear completely, irrefutably "scientific" (the feasibility of which in, the field of "economics", is one of the many conceptual debates that is perhaps more explicitly covered in ECOP. It's one of the more philosophical reasons why you don't rote learn half as much mathematical formulas in ECOP as you do in ECON).

At the same time, there's another irony to it all. One of the lessons that I've probably gleamed from ECOP is that change often comes from within the orthodoxy. And the orthodoxy is ECON. It's one of the reasons why Keynes is heaps more famous than the other schools mentioned earlier - Keynes was part of the orthodoxy of his time. If I could start again (and I had more mathematical ability), I'd probably force myself to try do a bit of ECON just so I could more confidently engage with the so-called orthodoxy. At the same time, there's a famous quote from Joan Robinson along the lines of - "I don't do math, therefore I think". So I have absolutely no regrets.

Last edited:

wagga

HSC
bustinjustin said:
The main upshot of all of this is not that it sets out to be"leftist" economics, but its heterodox - they really do try to teach you as many schools of thought as possible. And certainly, in the classes I've been in anyway, there have still been people who've walked away remaining as neoclassical fans (whose support for the orthodoxy has actually grown even stronger after having a taste of what else is out there). That said, I've done pre-honours classes, which are in a completely different league to the 'pass' classes.
The problem is (admittedly I've only done 1001 and about to finish 1003), that my tutors made their own ideology (neo - Marxist in both cases) all too apparent; and that neither cast as critical an eye over Marxist/Institutional opinions as they did over neo - liberal opinions.

The best tutor I had was in Geopolitics; the whole semester I couldn't really work out where he stood, as if an argument lacked substance, he would come down hard on it, no matter what perspective it was, whereas in ECOP most of the vitriol was reserved for opinions my tutors disagreed with.

KarmaKitten

HSC
I had a great tutor. He came from an neoliberal background but was able to critically analyse both neoliberal and marxist/dependency interpretations.

Its a bit sad that a lot people are getting such biased tutors for ecop, i'm sure it turns a lot of people of the subject. I've actually noticed more of a marxist leniency in students. In my tutorials, if anyone ever expressed a somewhat neoliberal thought or opinion, it would immediately get smashed down.

wagga

HSC
KarmaKitten said:
Its a bit sad that a lot people are getting such biased tutors for ecop, i'm sure it turns a lot of people of the subject. I've actually noticed more of a marxist leniency in students. In my tutorials, if anyone ever expressed a somewhat neoliberal thought or opinion, it would immediately get smashed down.
Yeh, I get what your saying, but I think the anti - liberal bias amongst students has become more apparent the further I get into the course; therefore I get the impression that the ideology of many of the tutors is rubbing off on a lot of the students; rather than their opposition to liberal ideals being pre - conceived prior to starting the course.

KarmaKitten

HSC
wagga said:
Yeh, I get what your saying, but I think the anti - liberal bias amongst students has become more apparent the further I get into the course; therefore I get the impression that the ideology of many of the tutors is rubbing off on a lot of the students; rather than their opposition to liberal ideals being pre - conceived prior to starting the course.
That's an interesting point and probably a pretty fair assessment. Though it does make me a bit worried that young adults could so easily be swayed so quickly into their degrees. I always go into subjects with an open mind, but of course having my own beliefs and convictions, but i am always willing to adapt or learn new things.

bustinjustin

HSC
wagga said:
The problem is (admittedly I've only done 1001 and about to finish 1003), that my tutors made their own ideology (neo - Marxist in both cases) all too apparent; and that neither cast as critical an eye over Marxist/Institutional opinions as they did over neo - liberal opinions.

The best tutor I had was in Geopolitics; the whole semester I couldn't really work out where he stood, as if an argument lacked substance, he would come down hard on it, no matter what perspective it was, whereas in ECOP most of the vitriol was reserved for opinions my tutors disagreed with.
I think perhaps, in the defence of tutors, when it comes to their political ideologies, they're damned if they don't reveal them (and students are presumably smart enough to pick up on it), but they're also damned if they do reveal them, given the likelihood some students might hold it against them. I personally prefer tutors to be clear about the politics, it makes it easier to understand where they may be coming from (and ironically, I think its easier to critique them then). But of course, each to their own.

That said, I completely agree that when tutors seem overly biased, and overly critical of views other than their own, it can ruin one's experience of that class. And of course, as you mentioned, this can be somewhat overcome with teaching methods (as in your example, where the tutor seemed to kept the class guessing). In ECOP for instance, some of the best facilitators of discussion in tutes I've found, have been the lecturers themselves: Damien Cahill in ECOP3911 (a self confessed Neo-Marxist, who regularly paid credit to the orthodoxy where due, spent equal time facilitating discussion on the limitations of the left (be it Marxism or feminism), and let self-confessed conservatives easily speak their views. It was also incredibly civil and intelligent, best classes I've had to date), and also Elizabeth Hill ECOP2911 (who is, unfortunately, in India doing research 'til 2009). These however, were pre-honours classes, and may have had more room for such discussion.

I think perhaps the overly-leftist image of ECOP is also partly a product of the times. One of its purposes is to be critical of the orthodoxy, and the orthodoxy happens to have been Neoclassicism. But of course, no one on either side of the spectrum is perfect, there's something to be critiqued about everything, no matter what the course. So if it's been the case that a tutor's bias and teaching style have made it uncomfortable for people to speak out against their views, well then they suck (edit: big time)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)