Economics versus Political Economy (1 Viewer)

wagga

HSC
KarmaKitten said:
Though it does make me a bit worried that young adults could so easily be swayed so quickly into their degrees.
Keep in mind these are 1st year subjects I'm talking about; every 1st year who has done World Politics and PE seems to think they know exactly how the world works.

HSC
wagga said:
Keep in mind these are 1st year subjects I'm talking about; every 1st year who has done World Politics and PE seems to think they know exactly how the world works.
this is also (v. annoyingly) true of first year ECON students :uhhuh:

Cool-dude

HSC
N/A
I thought Political Economy was in Table A, and Economics in B. So we can't do Economics as major?

Can i do Economics as first major and Political economy as second major or minor? or the other way around?

I want to do economic as first major and main but it is table B so im not sure if i can do it or not.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
there's not really any such thing as a 'first major' and a 'second major'. if you do two majors, they're not ranked against each other or anything.

in a BA and related courses, you can (usually) do up to two majors. at least one must be from Table A. the other can be from Table A or Table B. so you can do ECOP as your Table A major, and then you can take ECON or any other subject as your other major.

Cool-dude

HSC
N/A
Hey, I got one question about Political Economy.

On the website: http://www.usyd.edu.au/courses/?detail=1&course_sef_id=Bachelor_of_Arts_1009&section=units

It show us all the subjects we can do, and the online handbook for arts '09', (for political economy) has senior electives courses Eg. ECOP3013 Global Cities and Regional Economics. This subject was listed on the Handbook however on the website it does not include this sudject. Does this mean that the website is not updated?

Also some subjects that i wanted was listed on the website but not on the online handbook. Does this mean it was taken out?

spence

HSC
Hey, I got one question about Political Economy.

On the website: Bachelor of Arts - University of Sydney

It show us all the subjects we can do, and the online handbook for arts '09', (for political economy) has senior electives courses Eg. ECOP3013 Global Cities and Regional Economics. This subject was listed on the Handbook however on the website it does not include this sudject. Does this mean that the website is not updated?

Also some subjects that i wanted was listed on the website but not on the online handbook. Does this mean it was taken out?
The subjects in Table A in the handbook are the ones available this year. There is however a list in the handbook which shows all senior ECOP units, regardless of whether they are offered this year. I think senior units are rotated, so the ones not offered this year should be available next year (i think)

Cool-dude

HSC
N/A
hey Thanks for your reply.

Why do I need the department permission for enrolment of this course?

(Political Economy Exchange).

spence

HSC
hey Thanks for your reply.

Why do I need the department permission for enrolment of this course?

(Political Economy Exchange).
That's only applicable if you go on exchange. It's just a placeholder unit to go on your transcript, as the overseas course isn't listed

Cool-dude

HSC
N/A
Hey,

With our First Semester and Second semester , are we suppose to do all junior subjects first? (Majoring in two) Eg. Political Economy and Ancient history. And the in the Second year, then we do all senior units of study?

Can someone give me an example in there choosen subjects for the first year. (Barts).

spence

HSC
Hey,

With our First Semester and Second semester , are we suppose to do all junior subjects first? (Majoring in two) Eg. Political Economy and Ancient history. And the in the Second year, then we do all senior units of study?

Can someone give me an example in there choosen subjects for the first year. (Barts).
Usually yes. Although in some areas you may be able to do two junior subjects in one area in sem 1, meaning you can start senior subjects in sem 2. But generally, you'll do only junior subjects in first year.

So for first sem, you'd do ANHS1600 and ECOP1001, as well as two others.
Then in second sem, you'd do ANHS1601/1602 and ECOP1003/1004 and two others

Last edited:

Cool-dude

HSC
N/A
Two others? the senior subjects? because there are only 2 junior (Political economy) subjects.

spence

HSC
I mean just two other junior subjects (from other areas)

Cool-dude

HSC
N/A
But the two others, Can it be from table B or must be A?

Last edited:

shinninggum

wormy_000
HSC
Two questions here:

- In Political Economy, I'm doing Economic and Social Sciences (ESS) so I have to do ECOP1004 Economy and Society than ECOP1003 International Economy and Finance (only available for International and Global Studies students) in the first junior year. But is there a typo in the Arts Handbook, as all the 2nd and 3rd year courses need perquisites of ECOP1002 or ECOOP1003 and NOT ECOP1004. So how can I do this course as a major?

- What are the junior courses for International Business in Economics major (as part of Economics and Business Department)?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
I'm doing ECOP1001 this semester (lol)...

Is the text book necessary? The Frank Stilwell one

spence

HSC
Two questions here:

- In Political Economy, I'm doing Economic and Social Sciences (ESS) so I have to do ECOP1004 Economy and Society than ECOP1003 International Economy and Finance (only available for International and Global Studies students) in the first junior year. But is there a typo in the Arts Handbook, as all the 2nd and 3rd year courses need perquisites of ECOP1002 or ECOOP1003 and NOT ECOP1004. So how can I do this course as a major?
ECOP1004 used to be called ECOP1002 Economy and Policy, so that's why the handbook says that. And I'm pretty sure you can do ECOP1003 instead, its just recommended you do 1004

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)