Economics (1 Viewer)

moustachio

HSC
Hey fellow BoredOfStudiers!

Is Economics a hard subject? What "skills" does a student need to competently possess in order to do well (survive) in the subject?

Thank you!

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I heard that it is a bit more challenging compared to Business Studies.

deswa1

HSC
It depends. Are you interested in economics. I really enjoy the subject and I've grown up reading the papers and knowing what's going on in the economy so I find it really easy. Other people in my year find it hard because they don't like it and find that there's too much content to remember. Basically, if you're interested in economics, you'll be fine.

moustachio

HSC
If you were to do extremely well in Year 9 and 10 Commerce, would you do fine in Economics?

deswa1

HSC
They're two totally different subjects. Having said that, if you did well in commerce, your mind probably thinks in the right way for economics as well. I did really well in Commerce and I'm doing really well now so maybe there is some correlation but I know some of my friends also did well in commerce and struggled in economics.

barbernator

HSC
You need to be able to relate cause and effect basically.

In so many of the topics that you study, Fiscal policy, Monetary policy, Balance of Payments, Exchange rates, there are just dichotomous effects and you basically need to understand, and explain the drawn out effect of a change within the economic market. i.e. Appreciation and opposed to Depreciation of the AUD. I find with many of the essays, in fact all parts of economics, you just have to talk about two sides of a coin.

barbernator

HSC
btw, i have a presumptuous tip on deswa getting 99.95 atar... so trust him

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
If you were to do extremely well in Year 9 and 10 Commerce, would you do fine in Economics?
Year 9 and 10 Commerce tends to have more Business Studies and Legal Studies content rather than Economics content.
However, as long as you are interested in the Economy, you should do fine.
Yes, it is harder than Business Studies in a sense.

moustachio

HSC
Do you cover any basic economics-type topics in Year 9 and 10 at all? I enjoy Commerce, and I'm torn between Business Studies and Economics. I came on these forums to sought some help, and help I got! Thank you for all the responses!

enoilgam

HSC
*Moved to economics forum*

I havent done business studies, but I know people who have done both and they say that business studies is basically a watered down version of economics. Having done economics, it is a pretty difficult subject with a significant amount of content to be learned. However, I reakon its totally worth doing if you're into business and social science type subjects, because the stuff you learn applies to real life (interest rates, etc).

Ealdoon

HSC
N/A
I heard that you feel great as well when you finally understand an economics concept :)

HSC
I did shit in commerce, but im killing economics right now because i find it interesting and logical. So I suppose if u find economics logical, no its not a hard subject

Magical Kebab

HSC
I myself being a science/Maths minded person is enjoyingeconomics. I hate social sciences, but got 95% in my last Eco assessment just because I enjoyed it. If you want to understand how the world works from a human point of view, do it.

Aidejay

HSC
I myself being a science/Maths minded person is enjoyingeconomics. I hate social sciences, but got 95% in my last Eco assessment just because I enjoyed it. If you want to understand how the world works from a human point of view, do it.
I second that :D But i got to admit, economics is a challenging subject.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
My experience, it's a "hard" subject depending on what you compare it to you and the skills. If you have a decent memory and decent essay writing skills, it should present no troubles as a subject. It is a much harder subject than business (although that sub just seems common sense to me because my family run businesses).

I did extremely well in Yr 9/10 commerce (99% every semester yr 9 and 10 lol) and I'd say there is little eco content in it, more geared towards legal and business. But if you do really well in commerce you probably have the brain so to speak to pick up economics easily.

So moral of the story is, if you are great at commerce, have an interest in eco and don't slack off like I did, it will be a great subject for you. But I feel it is one of those subjects where the teacher can make a huge difference.

In Yr 11, I found it easy at first (first test or two were pieces of cake) but we didn't have a good teacher, he spent most of the time just talking about non school things (hiliarious, but not good for school). We had not much notes, but I didn't study very much at all for the yearlies (night before FTW) and still cleaned up 2nd overall in eco. I would say it's a good subject. At the start of Yr 12 I agonized over dropping it because the teacher who takes it in Yr 12 is absolutely amazing, and apparently now it is some of my friends favourite subject. They get a lot of work done now and it's very structured. I dropped it because of a sheer units thing (wanting to try his ext and ee2), that other subbies that I probs performed worse in would be useful for uni as I am going to study science and I suppose it was soured a lil in my mind from the agonizing prelim year, I found it a bit dry. But considering the natural ability and results I had in it and its lovely scaling, it probably would have been a safer bet for me if I had kept it. But that is hard to speculate as the eco cohort was smaller than my other subs and lawl, half the class dropped out when I did.

RishBonjour

HSC
Once again, it ALL depends.
some find it challenging, others find it relatively easy
Try it, and If you find it interesting keep it. As a few others said, it does have a LOT of content so if you aren't into it, it will be hard
But the main thing is, the majority of the content link together so you don't really have to memorise THAT much.

IMO, Its one of the best HSC courses.

inJust

HSC
Economics is my easier subject by far. I can bludge and not study and still pull out a 90 for my half yearlies. It's all logically, and I'm not even a maths/sci person but it's common sense to me. From personal experience, I find legal much harder due to remembering cases and examples, even though legal is deemed an "easier" subject. I just find it easy though so yeah. Depends on yourself actually.

chrisman9519

HSC
honestly I think it is one of the subjects that if you like, you will remember so much of the content as opposed to modern history for example where it is still super hard to remember everything even if u like it a lot. I think that economics is possibly the best thing you could do in high school and afterwards you will be a much smarter person in understanding why the world is the way it is and why the government does what it does. if u like it do it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)