Economics (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
honestly I think it is one of the subjects that if you like, you will remember so much of the content as opposed to modern history for example where it is still super hard to remember everything even if u like it a lot. I think that economics is possibly the best thing you could do in high school and afterwards you will be a much smarter person in understanding why the world is the way it is and why the government does what it does. if u like it do it
In my opinion, the key difference between modern and eco is with modern, you dont need to know a lot of the content that well. With economics, the vast majority of the content is important and you need to know it. There is far more content in economics then modern.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, the key difference between modern and eco is with modern, you dont need to know a lot of the content that well. With economics, the vast majority of the content is important and you need to know it. There is far more content in economics then modern.
I think that Legal is one of the most difficult subjects in terms of Humanities. Modern/Ancient - know the content well. Economics/Business - find stats and think a bit logically. Legal - find obscure cases, read through a lot of acts, know the content well, technical terminology.

deswa1

HSC
With economics, if you think logically, its pretty simple. For example, instead of remembering all the factors that cause an increase in demand, think that if you were a consumer, what would cause you to increase your demand. In this case, lower prices is an obvious result. You can apply this sort of thinking to so much of the course.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think Eco is easier content wise than Modern as it is more black or white, but then again my school picks the most enigma personalities and national studies. But there's definitely a great depth to its content and more of it.

But Eco once you got the concepts the battle was mostly done. And as a 2014er, I assume by you asking this you have an interest in eco, and I think you should give it a go. Worst case scenario is you bail out at the end of Yr11, or it might surprise you and be a great subject for you. I mean even though I dropped eco, I don't really have much of a bad word to say about it, it was just a units number and uni pre requisite game mainly. What other subs are you thinking of doing Yr 10er :)

moustachio

HSC
I'm really into science, so I'm going with Chemistry and Physics.
I heard 3 Unit Maths and Physics go well together. But I'm probably going to drop down to Advanced Maths, I just need to see how it goes (looking at how assessments go).
I'm in Advanced English now, and I find that I'm do alright, so I'm choosing English Advanced.
I go to a Catholic School, so I'm going to take Studies of Religion I.
So I have an extra unit left, and I think, after reading all the helpful replies, that I'm going to do Economics, and this means I'll have an extra unit, but it should be fine.

These aren't down pat yet. I need to see how I go in assessments, and what other subjects have to offer. (I realise that it's extremely early, but holidays are a good time for thinking about these things)

Again, thank you for all the responses! It's really helped me. :)

gnrlies

HSC
Study economics because it you will enjoy it, not because it is easy or hard.

If you find it easy, it means you aren't challenging yourself by exploring harder concepts. If you find it hard then it means that you are learning and that is a good thing.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^^Hey your combo sounds good.

But I wouldn't let your Yr 10 marks dictate your choices, trust me it's a whole different ballgame in Yr 11/12. Definitely try 3 unit math, otherwise you might regret not trying it if you are capable of it.

HSC
keeping up to date with current infomation this is the most important thing in economics

Nope

HSC
does anyone happen to know a good place for eco tutoring? :)
I wouldn't recommend tutoring for Social Science subjects, since it simply is not needed unless you need to refine your essay writing skills, and even that can be done on this site with the help of some members.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
does anyone happen to know a good place for eco tutoring? :)
LOL IMO Eco tutoring shouldn't be necessary. The concepts aren't particularly difficult to grasp and linking them together isn't difficult either.

gnrlies

HSC
LOL IMO Eco tutoring shouldn't be necessary. The concepts aren't particularly difficult to grasp and linking them together isn't difficult either.
Well great for you~! Good to see that you have mastered economics and that you know everything you could ever need to know... Also good to see people adding value to other peoples post.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
To the above poster,
I've never done tutoring but if you're lucky to live in Syd, there's a whole stack of high achieving HSC Econ students that offer tutoring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)