• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

educational access scheme? (1 Viewer)

chiseen

HSC
Hi, Iam currently in yr12 and I have only recently found out about the educational access scheme or EAS, I was wondering if it is too late for me to apply for this if not, how I can go about applying for this. Any information on this will be greatly apperciated, thanks.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
see your careers advisor and check out the different ways diff unis accept people under the broadway scheme

it allows people who are particularly disadvantaged to have a leeway of 5 uai points sort of like the domestic placement scheme (i.e. scoring 90 allows you to do a course which is 95).

oh and its not too late to apply i don't even think the forms are out yet :p they are due sept 30 2006 for our yr

sleepplease

HSC
chiseen search it .. there have been so many threads about this that may help you! :)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
yeah they have but they're all from the years before (at least in my searches)

one thing though i picked up from the threads of the hsc'ers 05. there are people who had a leeway of up to TEN uai points with major unis like unsw accepting people (for one person i saw at least .. i think it was casmira) with a uai 6 points lower than that year's cut-off

how can they really say one person 'deserves' more uai points than another. say how could you compare a guy who was rendered a paraplegic halfway through his AOS hsc exam for reasons unbeknownest to him and a rural girl student who lost both parents, her sheep dog and some chickens too in a blazing bushfire (she suffered second degree burns too). i know i'm using extreme egs but that's the point .. if they're both exceptionally 'unfair' and immensely disadvantages the students how can one person have say a 10 point uai leeway while another receives 6?

sleepplease

HSC
hey bobness ..yes i have teh same problem justifying EAS to myself. i concidered applying but kida think.. everyone has problems right? and teh degree to which these problems affect you is relative to your circumstances.
for example: i live with a critically sick family memeber so sure this stresses me but the stress i feel is one i have lived with all my life so i am USED to it.. so the impact it has on my life might equal the impact that another person suffers if tehir dog dies.
see.. realtive?
thats why i personally cant do it, but it really is a personal decision and i knwo several people who used EAS and thats fine.
soph

H

housemouse

If you dont need it, dont apply it.

Some of my friends tell me that I should apply for it since I have to go to school every day one hour early just to do extension subjects. But I dont think its really disrupting my education.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
well i was only off by a day ..

hell no you can apply for EAS if you have to arrive to school early to do extension subjects. just confirming :eek:

otherwise i too would jump on the bandwagon

ViRtUaL

1/cosC GSXR1000
HSC
sleepplease said:
for example: i live with a critically sick family memeber so sure this stresses me but the stress i feel is one i have lived with all my life so i am USED to it.. so the impact it has on my life might equal the impact that another person suffers if tehir dog dies.
see.. realtive?
soph
yep, personally i'm in the exact same position.
i got called up during class in term one by the counsellor (much to my bewilderment), and then she told me about how someone from the department of education had called her and told her about my predicament (nobody in my school knows about this), and then she recommended i apply as well. now i'm kinda facing a moral dilemma coz i'm doing well at school, since like in the quote above i've become used to the family member's condition over so many years, so i cant really justify to myself that i'm as disadvanteaged as some of the other applicants, but in order to get into medicine, due to its exceptionally competitive nature, i might have to fall back on eas, since i am more than eligible to apply.
still havent decided yet.

sleepplease

HSC
ViRtUaL said:
i got called up during class in term one by the counsellor (much to my bewilderment), and then she told me about how someone from the department of education had called her and told her about my predicament (nobody in my school knows about this), and then she recommended i apply as well. now i'm kinda facing a moral dilemma coz i'm doing well at school, since like in the quote above i've become used to the family member's condition over so many years, so i cant really justify to myself that i'm as disadvanteaged as some of the other applicants, but in order to get into medicine, due to its exceptionally competitive nature, i might have to fall back on eas, since i am more than eligible to apply.
WOW thats me exactly.. same with med, with uai aim, with councellor calling me, with school not knowing.. same!!!

thats a rather scary coincidence.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
lol i know this sounds cynical but i think quite a few people would be in your boat .. 'high' (comparatively) uai aim, counsellor, med (just because its the fav uni course aim for asians)

except the school not knowing bit :eek:

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
ViRtUaL said:
You're doing really well. :)
Extremely well.

In regards to EAS. Well around here in Newy we get some sort of points scheme - if we choose to attend a regional uni, an extra 5 uai points.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
luscious-llama said:
You're doing really well. :)
Extremely well.

In regards to EAS. Well around here in Newy we get some sort of points scheme - if we choose to attend a regional uni, an extra 5 uai points.
Ah, thats not EAS exactly - its a regional bonus scheme so that means with some unis you can use both in entry. Which is why its important to make the distinction between them.

As regards EAS and the OP, this sticky, despite its age, contains all the general info you really need. Specific details will come to light slightly later on in the year when forms are released along with deadlines. If after all this there is something you don't understand then I can probably answer your questions however I strongly urge you to read the sticky I have linked to as it contains alot of useful information.

housemouse said:
If you dont need it, dont apply it.
Absolutely true. There are a limited number of EAS places at each uni, and for each one taken someone else who is in need misses out. So think carefully when putting your name down for EAS. If you are in need, go for it, if you aren't then don't.

sleepplease

HSC
bobness said:
lol i know this sounds cynical but i think quite a few people would be in your boat .. 'high' (comparatively) uai aim, counsellor, med (just because its the fav uni course aim for asians)

except the school not knowing bit :eek:

bobness must you burst my bubble of excitment? i like coincidences :(

... and im not asian btw :p

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
OMFREAKINGGOSH a top hat! if i apply a marxist interpretation to this then obviously it can be seen that you my friend are in fact part of the bourgeoise.

Actually with all that money why don't you apply for domestic fee places instead?

module b in eng adv is wrecking with my head :eek:

riot_girl88

HSC
bobness said:
OMFREAKINGGOSH a top hat! if i apply a marxist interpretation to this then obviously it can be seen that you my friend are in fact part of the bourgeoise.

Actually with all that money why don't you apply for domestic fee places instead?

So i take it that your doing King lear as well.

sleepplease

HSC
bobness said:

no no no! its a straw hat.. a battered, crumpled straw hat :( :( :(
i chew grass to ward of hunger :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)