Effects of an Entirely Labor Australia? (1 Viewer)

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
It seems quite possible after the very recent NSW election results that the Coalition may lose Federal governance to Labor.

Now, A'm not saying this is good or bad, but i wanna hear what people think of the effects of an entirely Labor Australia. For example, do you believe that government at all levels may become complacent, just because they've got power everywhere?

-P_D

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I'd like to see states fighting for their powers should Rudd take them, but I doubt that'd happen. The Commonwealth will assume powers from the states without a fight.

Though with a completely Labor Australia (remembering that's not something to be overly afraid of, countries that aren't federations are stuck with the same problem all the time), I think the states and the Commonwealth would work better to create rules for federation in the twenty-first century. More cooperation means more can be done. This is also true should all state governments be coalition with a coalition commonwealth.

However, there won't be much the Commonwealth could do until July 2008, anyway. Libs/Nats have control of the Senate at least until then.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I think it would create the following problems:

Nullus

And the following benefits:

Less resource wasting and better co-operation between the states.

BritneySpears

Banned
HSC
Australia will become another welfare state with most people relying on foodstamp-centrelink and various government handouts and subsidies. Just look at how they tried to fund their broadband program. They simply don't understand macro-economics. labor supporters and leaders think the gov't can print money as much as it wants and give freebies to its supporters.

imaginarylife

HSC
BritneySpears said:
Australia will become another welfare state with most people relying on foodstamp-centrelink and various government handouts and subsidies. Just look at how they tried to fund their broadband program. They simply don't understand macro-economics. labor supporters and leaders think the gov't can print money as much as it wants and give freebies to its supporters.
I'm sure if even you realise this, then senior politicians with economics degrees would also realise this.

I like the idea of an all-Labor government, mainly because it would mean John Howard would no longer be prime minister.

Optophobia

HSC
P_Dilemma said:
It seems quite possible after the very recent NSW election results that the Coalition may lose Federal governance to Labor.
Nope. People are happy. Sort of.

Rudd doesn't have what it takes. His voice - it's smug, posh and gay sounding.

While Howard's voice is stupid sounding, it has somebody standing behind it.

Rudd seems to have any opinion on everything. Even on Australia's involvement in cricket in zimbabwe. He's fallen into the same trap that Beazely did. Doing things and saying thing simply because he thinks its what an opposition leader would do, and people are quick to pick up on this. Much like when they view ads on TV... They always view them as being Ads, with the ultimate goal of getting money. The moment people start viewing him as saying things simply to get votes, he loses support.

And.. above all of what's wrong with him.. He's from Queensland.

Last edited:

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Total political power to either party would be detrimental, hence why it has only occurred for a very brief period.

As for the prospects of an ALP dominated Australia, it definitely raises questions about the role of unions (let us not forget the accord), the welfare state, risks to the extensive progress made in relation to tax reform (reducing the direct tax burden) and workplace relations reform.

At least it gives the Federal Coalition more campaign ammunition as they are aware that Australian people by their very nature are reluctant to provide one person or party with too much control.

circusmind

HSC
Optophobia said:
Nope. People are happy. Sort of.

Rudd doesn't have what it takes. His voice - it's smug, posh and gay sounding.
Howard is a fairly unimpressive speaker as well. That is not going to be an election-deciding issue.

Rudd seems to have any opinion on everything. Even on Australia's involvement in cricket in zimbabwe. He's fallen into the same trap that Beazely did. Doing things and saying thing simply because he thinks its what an opposition leader would do, and people are quick to pick up on this.
This sounds more like Howard, who has utilised talkback radio to be more "in touch" with present issues than any other PM. Howard is always the man with the opinion, on everything from cricket to history.

Much like when they view ads on TV... They always view them as being Ads, with the ultimate goal of getting money. The moment people start viewing him as saying things simply to get votes, he loses support.
Huh?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
circusmind said:
Howard is a fairly unimpressive speaker as well. That is not going to be an election-deciding issue.
Dude, the only reason howard keeps winning elections is because of his public speaking skills. the way he is able express the right emotions, body language and his EYEBrows!.

Rudd is just boring old piece of rag.

Bring in Julia Gilliard!.

circusmind

HSC
HotShot said:
Dude, the only reason howard keeps winning elections is because of his public speaking skills. the way he is able express the right emotions, body language
I've only ever seen Howard express nervousness, sometimes tinged with a hint of righteous indignation. John Winston Howard is a hell of a misnomer.

and his EYEBrows!.
They are.....entrancing, no?

Bring in Julia Gilliard!.
Too left-wing for the present climate. Labor needs someone conservative enough to woo back the Howard battlers they've been sorely missing since 1996. Rudd is their man.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
we would pull out of iraq

Australian/US relations would be shot to shit

we would have a shitty PM and probably a few others things

if it wasnt for those though, i would be voting ALP

BritneySpears

Banned
HSC
imaginarylife said:
I'm sure if even you realise this, then senior politicians with economics degrees would also realise this.

I like the idea of an all-Labor government, mainly because it would mean John Howard would no longer be prime minister.
Any responsible politician with economics degree will also realize that it is not economically feasible nor affordable to provide super-fast broadband with optical fibre connection to the node to 98% of australians. They have been playing populist policy all along but most australians are not stupid enough to be fooled by 3rd world country style politics played by labor party. And that is why john Howard is here to stay, for another term until labor realize worker Unionism and may day are soo cold war era :D

jimmayyy

HSC
P_Dilemma said:

Now, A'm not saying this is good or bad, but i wanna hear what people think of the effects of an entirely Labor Australia. For example, do you believe that government at all levels may become complacent, just because they've got power everywhere?

-P_D
1. i disagree. in fact, i think it will work the opposite. i cant see the majority of people in australia wanting a labor monoply. i do, however, think they might regain control of the senate and get a bit of a swing if they're preferred plans come to fruition and the smaller parties play ball

2. i shuder to think what would happen if they won. unions in every profession, defence that cant run on time, people waiting 5 years for their post....horrible.

TwoNiner

HSC
circusmind said:
Hahahah. Bullshit.
Uh uh. True shit.

Labor loathe the yanks, or so it would seem. So if they got in power I wouldn't be surprised if Ruddy and Bushy had a tiff with each other, resulting in our nations going their separate ways...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
TwoNiner said:
Uh uh. True shit.

Labor loathe the yanks, or so it would seem. So if they got in power I wouldn't be surprised if Ruddy and Bushy had a tiff with each other, resulting in our nations going their separate ways...
But at the same time Hilary would get in and we could surrender together :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)