• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Electrical engineering (1 Viewer)

Smartindian

HSC
I was wondering if I can do electrical engineering with 2 unit maths and not doing physics in year 12.

(I can probably teach myself extension 1 and 2 maths )

I was initially interested in software engineering but I changed my interests so I am wondering if it's possible to pursue electrical engineering.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes but electrical engineering is apparently one of the more maths intensive engineering streams so you'll probably have to learn very quickly, or else.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yes but electrical engineering is apparently one of the more maths intensive engineering streams so you'll probably have to learn very quickly, or else.
In first year you do quite a bit more math than other engineering degrees.

COMP1917 and ELEC2141/1112 for UNSW (and the computer/electrical related subjects in first year at other unis) increase the math workload a little as these require more math based skills and a few applications of Calculus, Complex Numbers and Vectoring.

However, the difficulty is the same as other engineering streams as the highest level of maths is studied in the common math subject.

Also, I would say that Physics is supremely helpful as about 50% of the HSC Physics course is related directly to electricity. If you choose the right option topic for Physics, you can make that 75%.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
It is extremely difficult to teach yourself extension two maths. I think you should use your remaining holidays to revise over HSC physics and a few topics of extension one maths to assist your transition into the engineering course you have chosen to study.

Smartindian

HSC
I should have thought ahead! That's what I am planning to do ( go over HSC physics and Ext 1 maths ). And I might get help from my friend (who did ext 2 maths) to learn some of the ext topics.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Just see how you go this year.

I guess by asking us you can't really do much at the moment. All that this thread can help you with, is on a decision to stick to electrical engineering or not.

If you have a deep interest in Maths and Physics then you could still have motivation to do the course.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I should have thought ahead! That's what I am planning to do ( go over HSC physics and Ext 1 maths ). And I might get help from my friend (who did ext 2 maths) to learn some of the ext topics.
I would advise you to just focus on these two subjects(physics and maths extension one)-you only have a few weeks left, learning physics, extension one and extension two at the same time simultaneously is near impossible particularly for a student who haven't studied these subjects and are doing mostly self-studying, focus on less subjects-do more for each subject:)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I would advise you to just focus on these two subjects(physics and maths extension one)-you only have a few weeks left, learning physics, extension one and extension two at the same time simultaneously is near impossible particularly for a student who haven't studied these subjects and are doing mostly self-studying, focus on less subjects-do more for each subject:)
I think OP is doing HSC now.

So this would help OP next year instead.

Smartindian

HSC
I am doing my hsc this year, and If I should consider electrical engineering.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do course research, look at what you learn, see where it leads you, etc.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
This is helpful.

I was stuck between choosing from about 6 different streams of engineering and I had to do a lot of research to single one out.

If you have any questions about electrical engineering, feel free to pm me so that you can make an informed decision on what you want to do in uni.

tashe

HSC
N/A
This is helpful.

I was stuck between choosing from about 6 different streams of engineering and I had to do a lot of research to single one out.

If you have any questions about electrical engineering, feel free to pm me so that you can make an informed decision on what you want to do in uni.
+1. Do your research early. This includes career information, course information and scholarship information.

You might want to look at the UNSW Co-op scholarship, if you do get in, your future will more or less be very secure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)