• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Electron configuration + Valencies of transition metals (1 Viewer)

Carl5

HSC
The electron configuration is confusing when it comes to elements with a large number of electrons. In class, we only ever practiced on the first few elements, but I'd like to move onto the more difficult configurations.

Also... the valencies of transition metals... how do I work them out?

Please and thank you ahah...

MetroMattums

HSC
Generally, transition metals have a valency of 2+. Don't assume it's true for all metals though, because if they give you something like copper (IV) chloride then the copper has a valency of 4+.

In terms of electron configurations, all you have to know are the first 20 elements. After that they don't stay in the same 2, 8, 8, 2 configuration as one of those rings (I'm not sure which) can actually hold more than 8 electrons. So don't worry about it.

Carl5

HSC
Generally, transition metals have a valency of 2+. Don't assume it's true for all metals though, because if they give you something like copper (IV) chloride then the copper has a valency of 4+.

In terms of electron configurations, all you have to know are the first 20 elements. After that they don't stay in the same 2, 8, 8, 2 configuration as one of those rings (I'm not sure which) can actually hold more than 8 electrons. So don't worry about it.

Alright!

Thank you very much :D!

DNETTZ

Camp-italist Fatcat
HSC
The electron configuration is confusing when it comes to elements with a large number of electrons. In class, we only ever practiced on the first few elements, but I'd like to move onto the more difficult configurations.

Also... the valencies of transition metals... how do I work them out?

Please and thank you ahah...
Most are completly random but tend to be 2/3/4 as stated above. (given by later chemistry - just learn a few values)

They should tell you their valency in Roman numerals for tests, as they are NOT part of the prelim course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)