Elite school students get more special help in HSC (1 Viewer)

loz8888

HSC
what are your thoughts?

Elite school students get more special help in HSC
SCORES of elite private schools in NSW have won "special consideration" for their HSC students facing the gruelling exams, raising questions of whether they are gaining an unfair advantage.
Some of the schools have as many as a third of their HSC classes being granted dispensations from the NSW Board of Studies that include extra exam time, large print or assistance with writing.
Claims lodged to the board have ranged from students with disabilities and illnesses including diabetes to those with illegible handwriting and sweaty palms.
The elite eastern suburbs private school Reddam House won "special consideration" for 36 per cent of its students at the HSC in 2006 - almost six times the state average - and has consistently claimed more than a quarter of its students deserved special treatment in the statewide exams.
The official figures were provided in response to a question on notice by the Greens MP and education spokesman, John Kaye, who said they raised serious questions about "rorting" the approval of requests for assistance in the HSC exams.
"While there is no doubt many young people with disabilities or chronic diseases face unreasonable barriers in examinations, the figures show that a number of wealthy private schools have been able to obtain special HSC provisions for an extraordinarily high proportion of students," Dr Kaye said.
"It is hard to believe that 18 of the state's wealthiest private schools have more than twice the state-wide average proportion of HSC students deserving special provisions."
The president of the Federation of P&C Associations of NSW, Di Giblin, said she was concerned that some private schools might be milking the system.
"Our main concern with these schools is they are not being honest with their clientele in using their marks as a marketing tool," she said. "Public schools still cater for the majority of students with special needs."
Reddam House is among a cluster of schools - including Frensham in Mittagong, St Luke's Grammar in Dee Why, Masada, SCEGGS Darlinghurst, Scots, St Andrew's, Cranbrook, Knox and the Hunter Valley Grammar - with unusually high rates of "special considerations" in the HSC over the past three years, according to data from the Board of Studies.
Over the most recent three-year period the state average for all schools was 6.3 per cent. It varies by less than 1 per cent each year.
Special consideration allows students longer to finish exams, have rest breaks, or have other people write them - for instance if they have broken their arm or are physically injured.

They can also apply to sit at the front of an examination hall and use a computer, but under strict supervision.
Special provisions also apply for the hearing or visually impaired, and may involve the use of braille, headphones, coloured or large print exam papers, or taking breaks for medication.
The board assesses applications through a special examination provision panel, which includes doctors, educational psychologists and consultants for the visually impaired or hearing impaired.
In a statement yesterday the board said it received 4366 applications from HSC students last year, compared with 4314 applications in 2006.
"Almost 96 per cent of all applications for special examinations provisions were fully or partially approved," it said.
It would not comment on individual schools.
Among students who received special consideration last year was Erin Burt, who sat the HSC at Hurlstone Agricultural High School. Her mother, Jennifer Burt, said her 18-year-old daughter, who is now travelling overseas, claimed special consideration for her diabetes.
"The school did everything they could and allowed her to take food into the exam and have some extra time," Mrs Burt said.
"Her blood sugar went very low in one exam, and when that happens she becomes vague and disoriented.
"That's why they need some extra time. She had some orange juice and jellybeans to bring her sugar levels back up again."
The principal of Reddam House, Graeme Crawford, said teachers at the school worked very closely with individual students and were well placed to identify any potential need for them to apply for special consideration.
"The teachers become very fine tuned to any disability that may hinder a child's performance," he said. "We have a small cohort which drives up the percentage of special provisions."
Mr Crawford said applications for special provisions covered a range of disabilities including ADHD, ADD, broken bones, illnesses such as Crohn's disease, and writing difficulties.
The principal of St Luke's Grammar School, Jann Robinson, said the proportion of students who claimed special exam provisions varied from year to year. The Board of Studies figures showed it was 26.7 per cent in 2005, 25.4 per cent in 2006 and 7.7 per cent last year.
"I don't know why it was that high in 2005 and 2006. It is normally around 10 per cent," she said. "Because we are a school with a high reputation for pastoral care we do often attract students with particular needs, and that has probably pushed up our percentage."

Ms Robinson said students with a learning disability and those who had experienced a family trauma or been the victim of a physical assault were among those who had claimed special consideration.
The principal of SCEGGS Darlinghurst, Jenny Allum, said special provisions included simply alerting examiners to the need for a diabetic child to test their blood and bring jellybeans into the exam room.
"The purpose is to ensure students are able to demonstrate what they know and can do so that they are judged equally with their peers," she said.
The principal of Masada College at St Ives, Wendy Barel, said she was surprised by the figures and had no idea what the state average was.
"We just fulfil the requirements set out by the Board of Studies - occupational therapy, doctors' certificates and so on - and send in the applications. It's up to the Board [of Studies] to assess them," Ms Barel said.
The acting principal of Hunter Valley Grammar, Paul Tys, said the board imposed a "very rigorous process" for special provisions. He said it was unclear why his school - which was a regional and non-selective school - showed up in the top level of NSW schools where special HSC provisions applied.
An "individual needs faculty" of three teaching staff within the school were responsible for making the applications. "They ensure that students are adequately prepared for external assessment," Mr Tys said.
"They take very seriously their responsibility when they make application to the Board of Studies."

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...s-get-more-help/2008/05/25/1211653847168.html

Last edited by a moderator:

bling05

HSC
Anyone can apply, doesn't matter which school you go to. What a load of crap.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
loz8888 said:
The elite eastern suburbs private school Reddam House won "special consideration" for 36 per cent of its students at the HSC in 2006
Hahaha. Thats my school. :p

Its crap how many kids get special provisions, for things like hand tremors (as if that is even a valid excuse) or ADHD (take your ritalin or alternate therapy and you'll be fine). One kid even has special provisions because they had glandular fever some amount of years ago and now they need breaks so they can have something to eat throughout the exam. Like WTF?

But the amount of kids with special provisions this year is lower than 36%. It probably between 20 and 25% (which is still heaps higher than average).

xJennax

HSC
Wth....if they allowed things like hand tremors ect, wouldn't they allow anxiety in the axam then? If so lots of people could get special help.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Under the Disability Discrimination Act (1992) a disability is considered a disability if:
  • total or partial loss of the person's bodily or mental functions; or
  • total or partial loss of a part of the body; or
  • the presence in the body of organisms causing disease or illness; or
  • the presence in the body of organisms capable of causing disease or illness; or
  • the malfunction, malformation or disfigurement of a part of the person's body; or
  • a disorder or malfunction that results in the person learning differently from a person without the disorder or malfunction; or
  • a disorder, illness or disease that affects a person's thought processes, perception of reality, emotions or judgment or that results in disturbed behaviour
Anything that fits within those boundaries should be entitled into getting special provision.
Your point being?

Im not saying that all people who apply for special provisions. People with things such as dyslexia, diabetes, physical injuries (etc... there are heaps) do deserve to get special provisions and i'm not argueing that.

But people who claim that they need special provisions because they have bad handwriting piss me off. If you can't write after going to school for 13 years perhaps you deserve to do shit in your HSC. And people with bad handwriting can do well despite it - my friends brother did his HSC last year, and he was told by loads of people that he should apply for special provisions for bad handwriting, but he didnt, and he got a UAI of like 98.

dodgyv

CEO
HSC
wow thats such a long thread to read......but i agree i totally said something along those lines.

two types of school teaching
-teachers teach students the ability to learn and study but sadly some
-teachers teach student the only essential stuff for test (in this case HSC)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
xJennax said:
Wth....if they allowed things like hand tremors ect, wouldn't they allow anxiety in the axam then? If so lots of people could get special help.
They do let you have special provisions for anxiety, but your claim has to be backed up. Year 12 anxiety is not a valid excuse but people who have had anxiety for years can get special provisions for it. One of my friends has really bad panic attacks in exams, so sometimes she would leave exams halfway through even if she wasnt finished just so she could get out of the exam room, or would just sit with her head on the desk and not even attempt the exam. This has happened since year 7 and shes been to psychologists about it, so when she applied for special provisions she got them because all the teachers backed up her claim. However she does not get extra time, but is allowed to leave the exam room for a certain amount of time.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
The reason why your friend got special provison was not becuase of bad handwritting but becuase of hand tremors - there is a difference. Getting special provision is not given out based on whether a student is capablility of getting a high UAI. Intelligent people if effected by a disability should get special provison as well. Anywho I think you should read this
http://community.boredofstudies.org/...4&postcount=39
Okay. Please actually read my posts. I said that my friends brother did not get special provisions.

And to your link, I do know how special provisions work, and people are able to wrought the system. If you believe that the BOS examines every claim of special provisions in extreme detail then you are mistaken. Yes, not all claims are accepted, but there are kids who will take advantage of the system.

Paj20

HSC
i think we already all new this.. like some schools finish the hsc course in the prelim, then spend the hsc year doing practice questions... how is that fair??

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
Of course some students do take advantage because its either:
a) they deserve it or;
b) there is evidence to suggest they deserve it
The thing is, I have nothing against the people who deserve their special provisions. If someone has a valid reason (ie disability.. etc etc), then their special provisions puts them on an equal playing field (or as equal as the BOS can - obviously a few extra minutes or breaks may not make up for serious disabilities). However, there are some people who have special provisions who obviously do not need them, so by having special provision they have a huge advantage over all the other students who do not have them.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I see, how do you think BOS can improve there system, like in what ways?
I never suggested that the BOS change their system.

My point was purely, people take advantage of the system

2S1D3

HSC
midifile said:
Your point being?

Im not saying that all people who apply for special provisions. People with things such as dyslexia, diabetes, physical injuries (etc... there are heaps) do deserve to get special provisions and i'm not argueing that.

But people who claim that they need special provisions because they have bad handwriting piss me off. If you can't write after going to school for 13 years perhaps you deserve to do shit in your HSC. And people with bad handwriting can do well despite it - my friends brother did his HSC last year, and he was told by loads of people that he should apply for special provisions for bad handwriting, but he didnt, and he got a UAI of like 98.
That's so true, there's this guy in my English class who believes that his handwriting will cost him getting good marks in his next essay. He told me that he got a bad mark in his last test because of that, but when I read his last test it seemed perfectly legible. So as of now he has applied for special provisions and now is allowed to sit for an extra half an hour in any exam just for the fact that he has "messy" handwriting. There's another person who's in my Biology class that is in the same circumstance but he said he would rather improve his handwriting than get a consent for special provisions from Board of Studies...

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
When I heard this on the news I knew there would be a thread on BOS about it and I had a pretty good understanding about how it would turn out.

Similar threads to this on BOS has poped up each HSC and pretty much the same debate rages. People without a geniune need for special provisions and take advantage of the system which causes students to have this negative reaction and ruin it for those who have a geniune problems and disabilities and without special provisions they simply wouldn't be on a level playing field.

I think something students have to remember is that even if you think someone doesn't deserve it, you have no right to judge nor do you know their circumstances - you just don't know what people go through and the problems they have. It hasn't been unheard of that people that do have special provisions for them to lie to their friends about why they have it because they for whatever reason don't want their friends to know why they really have it.

If someone has special provisions then it's their right as a student to have it and know that they will be able to proform to the best of their abilities - just like you without it.

Just remember those arguing against it, you are in effort arguing a losing battle and it is a very sensitive issue to those affected. :)

Zephyrio

HSC
fOxYcLeOpTrA89 said:
at sceggs and st andrews the special consideration kids only get 5-10mins extra time and only about 3-10 kids per yr (maximum) apply for special consideration.
5-10 minutes is a long time, especially in an exam where you could earn a lot of marks in that little extra period.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Don't blame the elite schools, blame the shitty schools for not milking the system for everything it's worth - it's not that they're morally above that, it's just they can't be bothered to.

Money buys many things, one of them is dedication to student's learning and achievement.

~aussiegirl!~

08 sac baby!
HSC
my school has "special provisions" for all kinds of reasons
some people who don't apply for special provisions and get crap marks seem to blame it on the fact that they weren't provided these facilities like they usually are

bubbly89

HSC
There is absolutely nothing in the world stopping kids from public schools applying for special consideration. Its not like they look at the form and see the name of the school on it. It doesn't work like that.

The difference is that private schools hone in on your weakness and strive to correct them, they spend time teaching the kids about the system. Living in the country gives you an extra 5 bonus points for most unis, yet most kids don't apply for them... why? because they don't know as many schools don't put effort into that sort of thing.

If all of these special consideration is being granted, its not the school's fault, its the government board that approves them mind you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)