Elite schools hit parents' wallets again (1 Viewer)

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
SMH

PARENTS at Sydney's richest schools are struggling to keep pace with the cost of a year's education, which in one case has rocketed to almost $22,000 after another fee increase of more than double the inflation rate.

A Herald survey of 44 of the state's elite secondary schools has revealed fee rises as high as 15.5 per cent and an average of 6.5 per cent. The inflation rate to September was 3 per cent.

It is the fifth year in a row that private schools have lifted their fees by at least twice the inflation index, a move principals say is required to account for the increase of about 5 per cent in teachers' salaries next year and the cost of complying with insurance and workplace laws.

The most expensive education in NSW and possibly Australia is provided by Shore, which charges $21,804 for year 11. It was the first school to top $20,000 last year and has lifted its fees by a further 5.8 per cent.

Only one school - Pittwater House - cut fees for some students, and at least 14 schools lifted them by more than $1000. The biggest rise, $1500, was introduced at SCECGS Redlands.

Fees at The King's School and Sydney Grammar are hovering around $19,500 and will cross the $20,000 mark next year if increases continue at the same rate.

Murray Williams, whose son is going into year 11 at SCECGS Redlands at a cost of $19,800, said parents were tired of the "same massive fee rises and bullshit excuses.

"The problem for people like me is that we got the kids into schools when it was reasonably affordable, but with the compounding rises it's now very expensive - and you can't just drop your kids out a year from the HSC.

"It used to be that we slaved to pay off the mortgage, but the fact is that mortgage repayments today are truly petty cash alongside this stuff. With two kids costing $20,000 each and a third at $18,000 - all after tax - plus trips, books, uniforms, sports, you have to earn $140,000 before getting out of bed."

Full article

I would have to agree that some of these Elite schools are really good in all aspects of school life, however, since costs are so high, I dont think its worth sending ur child to an elite school wich in some cases would offer the same education as some non-elite schools, at much lower costs. Besides if the non-elite schools (or not-so-elite schools) werent providing the best education for the students, there would be a load of left over cash to spend on tutoring, text books etc...

$20,000 is alot of money, is it really worth it?

nwatts

HSC
I don't think you're in the right mindset of those who send their kids to these kinds of schools. They send them there because they can. They have $20k a year to spend on their kid's education, so they spend it, under the illusion they're getting the best education money can buy. It's not a case of "is it worth it?" for the majority of parents in this situation.

The person quoted in SMH is very clearly not a spokesperson for the majority. The journalist writing this piece has found someone to support the slant of their article and thrown them in.

If I had to think about spending $20k a year on education, I'd enrol my kid into somewhere far cheaper. But if I was in the economic situation that meant $20k was no amount of money to be concerned over, I'd send them to Sydney Grammar or similar.

nwatts

HSC
miss_gtr said:
If they have the money, go for it.
20k a year isn't that bad for a good education.
It's more money than a year of university. I think it's a rather obscene amount of money, considering selective schools tend to perform brilliantly, and carry very minimal fees.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yea but to get into a selective school your son needs to start off with great marks...
I imagine at these $20,000/year schools they improve students marks quite a bit.

physician

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Yea but to get into a selective school your son needs to start off with great marks...
I imagine at these $20,000/year schools they improve students marks quite a bit.
Yes,True, that could be the case.

Arent some of these high fee paying schools slective of their students though?

or do u just take out the cash, and in u go?

nwatts

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
If they can't get the marks to begin with, I'd question how much their education was worth to begin with, and consider whether or not university/tertiary education was their forte. I don't particularly like the idea of pushing a kid to their absolute extreme to perform through sending them to a private school. If they aren't already above-average intelligent, I'd be happy to stick them in a school where they can take vocational subjects and enjoy themself.

7th Sign

HSC
this isnt a real private school call

""same massive fee rises and bullshit excuses"

sounds like a lowie from blacktown if you ask me :|

nwatts

HSC
miss_gtr said:
You make a good point.

Yes Nickles, I do think its worth it. Yes some selective schools produce stunning results... But, not to sound like a snob, I prefer private school education.
As do I, and if we end up having kids, I'd make sure they went to a private school - unless it became strikingly evident it wasn't their area at all. However I'd draw the like at $12k a year, because I know of schools who produce very, very good results and charge this or much lower.

7th Sign

HSC
miss_gtr said:
Getting into a selective school isn't 100% free, It does cost you a bit.

my sis goes to a public selective school they make all the kdis pay like $550 each year complusory school fees lol

my schools "school fees" were liek 50 bucks hahaha

but her school is like top 20 in the state :(

physician

HSC
miss_gtr said:
Of course we always have some kids who go to uber expensive schools fail, I don't know if its rumour/myth/whatever, But supposedly there are cases where Ruse kids get like 50ish uai.
Interesting... (I wouldnt think it possible...lol)

btw, whats the fees like at James Ruse anyway?

nwatts

HSC
physician said:

Government schools aren't legally allowed to charge compulsory school fees. Perhaps selective schools are, I'd have to read up on it, but from what I've read/been told about public education (which selective falls under), it's that no parent is required to pay fees.

I have a brother in a public school, and my parents pay his ~$300 a year in fees, but it is made very clear that these fees are not required - they do subsidise excursions, uniforms, schoolbooks etc, but are not required.

nwatts

HSC
miss_gtr said:
I have two cousins who get pushed so hard by their mum, they've taken countless numbers of tests to get into selective schools, they get tutored like every afternoon and ontop of that they have to do ballet lessons, piano lessons and other useless activities. Anywhose, They go to MLC (Methodist Ladies College) and after all the countless tutoring and extra homework etc, they are still dumb as dog shit. But I guess its all for the mother's sake, so she looks good infront of her friends "oh my daughters go to MLC, They do ballet lessons, piano lessons and they just took up mandarin classes too rah rah rah.." They don't even like any of the lessons they take and they suck at school, But hey... If she wants to fork out 20k for their education and they end up failing, suck shit.
Haha.. I can see we're on the same level. :p

nwatts

HSC
miss_gtr said:
I still wear the pants. Honey.
Not after a month of being whipped in the dungeon. I call it, "The Dungeon of Pantless Submission".

physician

HSC
miss_gtr said:
My school is like poorly ranked (PROBABLY OUT OF THE 300 now) And my school fees cost a couple of grand a year, times that by 4 and one child at uni (of whom they are also funding) ..............I guess this type of thing makes you question is education worth all that?
Pritt much the same as my school, the fees is a couple of grand, and we are "not so highly ranked" as well, however, most students came out with decent UAI's, and in addition to that, most teachers are great, I even hope to stay in touch with most teachers for as long as I can. I guess what I liked most about my school was the environment, an environment much better than that of many other schools around my area...education might have not been the best, but I must say, I had a pritty interesting high school life!

Oh and it was a private school btw.

Although this can also be the case for both students who go to a school charging 20K or a school charging $0.

nwatts

HSC
miss_gtr said:
Shut up or another month of whipping.
Nick come and the fucking bugs away from me. They are EVERYWHERE.
The bugs are my minions. They appear when little girls are being naughty.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
physician said:

Usually $500 worth of "voluntary contribution" along with a $400 building fund. The head of Ruse liked to build a new building every year.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
miss_gtr said:
Of course we always have some kids who go to uber expensive schools fail, I don't know if its rumour/myth/whatever, But supposedly there are cases where Ruse kids get like 50ish uai.
yes but at least he was a nice guy :)

well at least they dun spend 20k/yr at ruse..

neo_o said:
Usually $500 worth of "voluntary contribution" along with a $400 building fund. The head of Ruse liked to build a new building every year.
he got one named after himself yet?

Last edited:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
miss_gtr said:
so they pay like $900 a year??
yep.. i hear some parents pay extra.. up to 5K/yr.. as a donation.. tax-deductable

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
...if only these elite schools can stop focusing on syphoning off money for extravagant building projects, corporate golf days, or new cars and houses for executives, or buying new property...AND USE THEM WISELY...IE concentrate their funds on providing BETTER EDUCATION, then i think the fees hardworking parents will pay will be considerably lower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)