• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Email from Nick Saunders (1 Viewer)

slip

HSC
not only do i go to the uni, but both of my parents work there. i can tell you that most of things you guys have said in this thread.

the debt has nothing to do with researchers not getting grants etc... ill give you a few simple reasons

in the past five years the university staff has increased over 30% that would costs millions each year

the second major reason is that last year the government pass legislation requireing universities to declare assessts etc more realistically, for reason im not allowed to get into this basically ment the uni had to go back and declare alot of debts that they had previously hidden.

the staff cuts will be from all areas where they think maximum efficiency isnt being acheived, high and low level jobs, all level jobs.

and im sure these staff cuts will effect you far less then they will effect the families of the 450 people to be made redundent... 300 may have said they are interested in being given a redundancy package, that doesnt mean they want to leave, it just means they think they will end up losing there jobs so they are going to get in before they are fired with out compensation and take the redundancy pakage offered.

an area like newcastle in not going to come up with another 450 positions for these people.

winicat

HSC
jumb said:
Researching fine arts? What do they do, just stare at pictures all day?
head lecturer (ross woodrow) always seems to be in france or italy .. he shows us slides of paintings, etc and goes "i took this 3 years ago .. or maybe it was 5 .. i'm not sure, i photograph it every time i go" and it's, like, "dude! i just wanna go the once!!!"

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
winicat said:
god, i haven't heard anything so .. stupid .. in a long time -- someone should practice what she preaches

i'm all for the free buses in town .. means i can get from home (first stop) to anywhere in CBD without having to pay :) .. so fun lol

also: one of my lecturers said something about them getting, like, 6 months off every 3 years and 12 off every 6 or something and they get paid to go research or be residents places. i'm talking about fine art type peoples here ... i dunno if those are the right numbers, but that's what she reckoned was wrong with the debt.
that would be sebatical leave

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
bigthecat said:
Obviously there are some places where cuts will be more logical (The massive plethora of gardeners at Newcastle comes to mind, perhaps they can sack some of those bloody spiders while they're at it)..

Logical... maybe.. But have you realised that all of those gardeners have developmental problems (i think some have down syndrome) and this is the only real opportunity they have of holding a job and contributing back to society. It would detriment them greatly if they were to lose their jobs... Anyway, they are probably on a minimum wage... maybe they are voluntary.. Maybe it's centrelink's way of getting them to 'work for their benefits'...

However, i do agree with the sacking of those blooming spiders!! Their webs are getting lower and lower and soon i'll walk smack bang into the middle of one (and i'm pretty short!).. lol .

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
yeah whatever i knew i was wrong but couldnt remember wat was right

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Ranger Stacie said:
i walked into one of those big spiderwebs at uni by accident the other day
Suck eggs. I usually try to throw things in the web so they get caught. That way, I always laugh when I walk past. It's especially good when you do it from the path from university drive to the maths building there.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
PrincessSJ said:
at the risk of sounding sooo 6th grade.....

you meanie!!!
You've picked up a few bad habits from prac teaching, it seems.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
this forum has really gone to shit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)