Employers biased against some Uni's (1 Viewer)

nahi11

HSC
They're pretty diverse fields. Do you know which one in particular?
The first to cut from the list would be aeronautical engineering simply due to job demand in Aus. Med depends on UMAT I guess. Psychology requires less ATAR than LAW. So it depends on the ATAR I get.

nahi11

HSC
The top ATAR mark bonus marks dont get excluded

Hence you can get in with 93, and you said you might get 94

Problem solved.

Also, FYI for med, at the current state we are so short in numbers it doens't matter
Sorry didn't exactly get what you're saying.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Tbh I initially put UNSW as my first preference, but got into UWS which was my 2nd preference.

Having spent almost a semester doing my course at UWS I say with the utmost sincerity that I would have put it as my 1st preference if I knew I would be enjoying it this much.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Sorry didn't exactly get what you're saying.
Using a iphone sorry

If you go to UNSW and you have the Highest ATAR from your school (Of all the kids who go to UNSW- do you don't need to be dux) you get an extra 5 ATAR points plus $4k

So basically you can get in any course with 5 lower points. (And you said you could get 94, hence problem solved)

Also Harrissony, why did you neg me

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The statement in the OP is credible. Lets take a scenario where you have two candidates (whose personalities are both likeable), one from Yale university (one of the best in America) and the other from Oklahoma Community College - it wouldn't be a hard decision for most people to make. It is the same with UNSW or USYD versus University of Western Sydney, Charles Sturt University, Notre Dame University, Southern Cross University etc...

UNSW/USYD are regarded as more competitive and better institutions by industry.

Although if you want to do medicine or whatever it is better to do it (at UWS if you have to) than to not do it at all.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Don't do aeronautical or space eng. As above the industry is almost non existent here in Aus.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
The statement in the OP is credible. Lets take a scenario where you have two candidates (whose personalities are both likeable), one from Yale university (one of the best in America) and the other from Oklahoma Community College - it wouldn't be a hard decision for most people to make. It is the same with UNSW or USYD versus University of Western Sydney, Charles Sturt University, Notre Dame University, Southern Cross University etc...

UNSW/USYD are regarded as more competitive and better institutions by industry.

Although if you want to do medicine or whatever it is better to do it (at UWS if you have to) than to not do it at all.
I can assure you that medicine is equally credible in all unis and regardless of what uni you go to, you are equally likely to get employment.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I wasn't saying medicine wasn't credible, infact I saw saying the opposite of it. A medicine degree from UWS is far better than having no medicine degree.

However commerce, engineering, even arts etc at USYD/UNSW/UTS is much better regarded than at Southern Cross University for example. Anyone that argues otherwise is deluded.

Go look at the Big 4 bank economic departments and see how many graduated from UNSW/USYD as compared to UWS. It will heavily favour UNSW/USYD.

derrick rose

Banned
HSC
N/A
The first to cut from the list would be aeronautical engineering simply due to job demand in Aus. Med depends on UMAT I guess. Psychology requires less ATAR than LAW. So it depends on the ATAR I get.
You really should concentrate on finding out what you are interested in, rather than having a very diverse short-list of extremely competitive courses based entirely on their high ATAR requirements.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This has been done to death.

No, employers aren't biased. Your performance in the HSC doesn't reflect what the type of person you are after you graduate university. If there was a toss-up between essentially identical candidates, they may take it into consideration but they generally have ways to eke out some sort of differentiation to avoid this.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Have you considered looking at UNSW's AAA scholarship? If you want to do law and don't get the ATAR, then do another course that interests you and then go for postgraduate Law (JD). But yes, for Law don't go to UWS. Go to USyd, UNSW, MQ or UTS. Even if you get a lower ATAR, aim for a transfer or JD (grad law).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Employers can be biased though?
If they actually practice the bias being considered in this thread, whoever is in charge of Human Relations should be fired. It's a very shallow way of scoping out the grad market.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Of course they practice it. It won't be official policy although if all the senior partners in a law firm went to UNSW or USYD then it is less likely they will hire from UWS and instead will hire UNSW/USYD grads...

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Of course they practice it. It won't be official policy although if all the senior partners in a law firm went to UNSW or USYD then it is less likely they will hire from UWS and instead will hire UNSW/USYD grads...
Generally because the USYD/UNSW graduates are more intelligent than the ones who went to UWS. An average student at a top university won't do as well as a successful student at a lower university.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I agree with your statement there. It does depend on the individual.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
I think they would factor in a lot more important stuff before they consider what uni you went to (i.e. what ATAR you got in year 12, based on subjects that may or may not have been relevant to your degree)

DforDANNY

HSC
Uni Grad
It's not what you know but who you know. Seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)