Ending a Creative on a sad note. (1 Viewer)

roryclifford

HSC
Hi guys,

Just wondering if it's a bad idea to end a piece of creative writing on a bad note? Like, for Belonging I start my story off with my character not belonging, he experiences a reflection to a time when he did belong, and then back to the present there is a stark contrast to when he did belong so it ends with him coming to the realisation that places and people change. So in the end, he does not belong.

Let me know your thoughts on a negative ending.

HSC
Uni Grad
If it works with your story (sounds like it does) and relates to the question (you might have to modify it somewhat) then there's no reason I can see as to why it would be a problem.

Bobbo1

HSC
it could leave a sour taste for the examiner - which wont make a direct impact but could be psychologically influencing their mark....just my 2 cents

roryclifford

HSC
If it works with your story (sounds like it does) and relates to the question (you might have to modify it somewhat) then there's no reason I can see as to why it would be a problem.
it could leave a sour taste for the examiner - which wont make a direct impact but could be psychologically influencing their mark....just my 2 cents
Thought so Pheonix, I mean I will be ready to change it if need be but I feel it works atm.

And Bobbo, that's exactly the concern, I guess I should just nail it and it should be fine, wish the HSC did not involve pleasing markers

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Thought so Pheonix, I mean I will be ready to change it if need be but I feel it works atm.

And Bobbo, that's exactly the concern, I guess I should just nail it and it should be fine, wish the HSC did not involve pleasing markers
A marker won't mark you down for a sad ending.

I personally like bitter sweet endings, but that's just me.

Zeroes

HSC
I think most sad stories do badly because they turn into teenage angst, if you write something sad but still sophisticated (sounds like yours would be) then it should be fine.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think most sad stories do badly because they turn into teenage angst, if you write something sad but still sophisticated (sounds like yours would be) then it should be fine.
>A gurl was walken to skewl with her BF
>and they were crossind the road, she said
>”BBZ will you luv me 4ever?” he sade “NO….”
>da gurl cryed and ranned across the road b4 the green man cam n sine and geme
>boy was cryin, and went to pik up her body, she was ded
>he wispered to her corpse
>”i meant to say, i love you 5ever (DAT MEAN HE LUV HER MORE DAN 4EVER)
>LIK DIS IF YOU CRY EVERYTIME

yours

HSC
Think what would be evocative for a middle-aged woman - most likely your marker. (Yes, I know there are a lot of younger teachers, but consider that it's a lot easier to be a marker if you're an older teacher, since you've probably done it before). Also, the senior markers are almost certainly not young.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
My teacher said you can end your story sad as long as it don't involve everyone dieing

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
My teacher said you can end your story sad as long as it don't involve everyone dieing
You can have someone die, just it's a very often done ending, and needs to be done well. My story has someone die, but it was a twist ending set up at the start.

yours

HSC
You can have someone die, just it's a very often done ending, and needs to be done well. My story has someone die, but it was a twist ending set up at the start.
'Done well' - to be more specific than this, don't kill the protagonist if it's in 1st person. Also don't turn into a ghost. Markers absolutely hate this.

roryclifford

HSC
No that's my plot idea! Now everyone will take it :(((

Seriously though you should become a chain-mail writer, could take you far

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
it's... it's... JUST SO BEAUTIFUL! *sheds a tear*

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
it's... it's... JUST SO BEAUTIFUL! *sheds a tear*
Would've thought that story wasn't postmodern or nihilistic enough for you. ;)

With your idea for a story there, I reckon that's a good idea. It shows your knowledge in the Area of Study, of the fluidity of the concept of belonging, and if it's done well you should do well. As for negative stories and endings, a lot of the stories that I write for English are really bleak, showing little hope or prosperity in the future with characters that are often outcasts or generally people who don't and won't belong and end on an ambiguous note. Theoretically, my teachers and the markers should hate it but what I do it load it with a lot of descriptions and patterns of imagery that contribute to the symbolic meaning of the writing and I somehow manage to get 12.5-13.5/15. I'm still baffled by it, especially since the plot, characterisation and everything else downright sucks. Now, I'm not saying to sacrifice everything for patterns of imagery, but if you manage to have a few patterns of imagery that adds to the story's meaning or "textual integrity" so to say, then you should be able to increase your marks that way.

roryclifford

HSC
Would've thought that story wasn't postmodern or nihilistic enough for you. ;)

With your idea for a story there, I reckon that's a good idea. It shows your knowledge in the Area of Study, of the fluidity of the concept of belonging, and if it's done well you should do well. As for negative stories and endings, a lot of the stories that I write for English are really bleak, showing little hope or prosperity in the future with characters that are often outcasts or generally people who don't and won't belong and end on an ambiguous note. Theoretically, my teachers and the markers should hate it but what I do it load it with a lot of descriptions and patterns of imagery that contribute to the symbolic meaning of the writing and I somehow manage to get 12.5-13.5/15. I'm still baffled by it, especially since the plot, characterisation and everything else downright sucks. Now, I'm not saying to sacrifice everything for patterns of imagery, but if you manage to have a few patterns of imagery that adds to the story's meaning or "textual integrity" so to say, then you should be able to increase your marks that way.
Yeah, I have always only managed about 10 / 15 and the feedback was 'A lack of imagery and description' so I agree with you on that note, I have packed my practice full of metaphors and descriptions and overall it reads better. Thanks for your reply :)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
a gurl expected a proposel frm his boyfriend but instead her bf got her a teddy bear. da gurl became angry and throwd da teddy bear on the road. da boi went 2 pick up the teddy bear n den got hit by a car and dyed. @ da funerel the gurl criyed so hard dat she squeezed the teddy bear n the teddy bear spoke. it sed "will you marrey me???????? da ring is inside me!!!". send dis to 20 ppl if u cried :'( </3

roryclifford

HSC
a gurl expected a proposel frm his boyfriend but instead her bf got her a teddy bear. da gurl became angry and throwd da teddy bear on the road. da boi went 2 pick up the teddy bear n den got hit by a car and dyed. @ da funerel the gurl criyed so hard dat she squeezed the teddy bear n the teddy bear spoke. it sed "will you marrey me???????? da ring is inside me!!!". send dis to 20 ppl if u cried :'( </3
So dis gurl actualy guy az wel? h3he lawl

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi guys,

Just wondering if it's a bad idea to end a piece of creative writing on a bad note? Like, for Belonging I start my story off with my character not belonging, he experiences a reflection to a time when he did belong, and then back to the present there is a stark contrast to when he did belong so it ends with him coming to the realisation that places and people change. So in the end, he does not belong.

Let me know your thoughts on a negative ending.

As long as what you're trying to portray with your story goes well with the stimulus provided, then it might be very great to end your story that way. If the stimulus is very limited and wants you to show that belonging is required for happiness, then you might be in trouble. It's all up to how well you've composed it and if it fits the stimulus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)