• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ENG ADV PEOPLE! Teacher wants me to move from ENG STD TO AVD, Should I? (2 Viewers)

allira92

HSC
then please explain why so few people achieve band 6 marks in standard english?

and it's 'you're' wrong
not necessarily i could have been implying that you owned the wrong lol my bad .

the reason so few people get band 6's in std eng is partly because the first paper is common to both courses. there are other reasons too but i cannot recall them off the top of my head.

Last edited:

imsopostmodern

cool as a kuhncumber
HSC
not necessarily i could have been implying that you owned the wrong.

firstly, scaling refers to your UAI.the reason so few people get band 6's in std eng is partly because the first paper is common to both courses. there are other reasons too but i cannot recall them off the top of my head.
lame attempt at a cover up. it very obviously reads as 'you are'.

how exactly does commonality between courses affect the fact that few standard people achieve band 6's? and i'm curious as to these other reasons.

if scaling was indeed the same, then why do not a higher portion of people undertake standard english instead of advanced?

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
As one who, many years ago, was advised to take what you would now call Advanced English because I was intelligent and would cope with it, I chose to the Standard or General Course.

My reasoning was that I didn't want to to do lots of analysis and I hated Jane Austin. I had found my niche in the General Course and there was lots in there that appealed to me.

Now, I don't know exactly how the course have changed but if you are doing well in Standard and enjoying it and getting on with the teachers (and getting the top rank) you are the MOST likely in your class to get the Band 6 if anyone is.

The moral to my story was that I was told ALL 2 Unit General English Marks were scaled down. Well, my friend and I, who both went on to do Electrical Engineering at University, both said to the school that we knew we had no need of the advanced skills in English as we were Science/Maths people.

Both our marks, for the first time in the school's history, were scaled UP. Thereafter, the school counselled people to choose whichever English they felt they wanted to do.

So, what do you want to do? Don't focus on the end result, focus on the current journey.

bby

HSC
do adv english. standard wont get you anywhere. no offence to those who do it, but you all know its true.

allira92

HSC
how exactly does commonality between courses affect the fact that few standard people achieve band 6's? and i'm curious as to these other reasons.

if scaling was indeed the same, then why do not a higher portion of people undertake standard english instead of advanced?
here are your answers

ENGLISH ADVANCED AND ENGLISH STANDARD ARE ALWAYS SCALED IN THE SAME WAY - because they contain a common AOS (Paper 1 is common across the two courses).

HOWEVER, English Standard students tend to bomb out in Paper 1, and then get decent marks in Paper 2. This causes the course candidature to become "shitter" than the course candidature for English Advanced. The two courses are STILL scaled exactly the same, but because the English Standard candidature is less able, they are awarded fewerr high marks and only about 30 - 40 Band Sixes. I believe there are about 2,500 Band Sixes in English Advanced every year from approx. 25,000 students, i.e. approx. 10%.

All that I said above has absolutely nothing to do with why Advanced is worthwhile. You are always enecouraged by your teachers to choose the course best suited to your ability. If you were not in English 1 or English 2 (the top Year 10 classes), then I recommend that you "drop" down to Standard. If you have a passion for English - do Advanced, or possibly even Extension 1 - which has much more interesting themes and topics that Adv.

James :)</SPAN>
The English Standard and Advanced dilemma

Deciding whether to take Standard or Advanced English is one of the hardest decision to make.

*English Standard AND Advanced are scaled in the exact same way. When someone says "Don't do standard because it has very poor scaling", it is ENTIRELY wrong.

If 2 identical RAW marks in Standard English and Advanced English will scale to the same scaled mark.

Standard and Advanced English are scaled as one course despite what others say.

But now you will ask "Why is it on the list of scaled means, Advanced and Standard english are different when you said they are scaled the same?"

The answer to this is simple. They are reported separately. i.e. They combine the candidature of English Standard and Advanced and scale it as a single subject, they are then separated and the scaled mean is determined and reported. It just so happens the scaled mean of Standard is typically lower than Advanced. This doesn't mean it scaled any better or worse than Advanced.

Is it possible to get band 6 in Standard English?

Yes it is very much possible it. Most teachers and students would say the board of studies doesn't allow students to get band 6. This is untrue, and has been proved in 2003 where one student attained a band 6.

But why so little people? It just so happens the students undertaking Standard aren't as acedemically good enough to attain that band.

still believe i made an incorrect statement in regards to scaling???

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
advanced english isnt difficult, its the same about of work as standard basically

maplestory

Autoplay Member
HSC
Okay, I got my english half yearly and turns out I came 1st in my year :) woo
So now my teacher wants me to move up to AVD since I came 3rd in comparison to the adv peeps
but I just need to know if I should keep to the top of STD
instead of bottom or average ADV, im guessing?

Is it worth it?
And how much harder is AVD compared to STD?
Does it require much more work?

Anyone studying Emma and Clueless?
Advive puh-leaseee :wave:
well, in my opinion, why dun u juz stay in STD?
i m an ADV student but i m changing to STD to get lesss stress in HSC ..
wad do u think?!

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
not necessarily i could have been implying that you owned the wrong lol my bad .

firstly, scaling refers to your UAI.the reason so few people get band 6's in std eng is partly because the first paper is common to both courses. there are other reasons too but i cannot recall them off the top of my head.
You are wrong. I won't go too far into it but
a.) scaling doesn't refer just to your UAI, but also to the process of aligning marks, which happens to the individual subjects
b.) that Yoda guy was right, Standard does scale worse than Advanced.

When you say that something scales worse than something else, what you are really referring to are the points at which each subject begins to scale up/down, or just stay as is. Standard will scale up in less cases than Advanced, and scale down in more, and thus it scales worse.

EDIT: Ignore that last part. I just read it and it makes very little sense.

allira92

HSC
When you say that something scales worse than something else, what you are really referring to are the points at which each subject begins to scale up/down, or just stay as is. Standard will scale up in less cases than Advanced, and scale down in more, and thus it scales worse.

EDIT: Ignore that last part. I just read it and it makes very little sense.

that last bit sort of made sense, i was just going off what i've read from other people. i can see what you're saying although i am more confused now lol

joseph123

HSC
Okay, I got my english half yearly and turns out I came 1st in my year :) woo
So now my teacher wants me to move up to AVD since I came 3rd in comparison to the adv peeps
but I just need to know if I should keep to the top of STD
instead of bottom or average ADV, im guessing?

Is it worth it?
And how much harder is AVD compared to STD?
Does it require much more work?

Anyone studying Emma and Clueless?
Advive puh-leaseee :wave:
well it is totally up to you... but if i were u ide go for it! adv english scales so much better, especially if you can maintain a good result and rank.

p.s. i'm studying Emma now (we're watchin clueless after the book). its really boring but i heard the movie's better lol

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
well it is totally up to you... but if i were u ide go for it! adv english scales so much better, especially if you can maintain a good result and rank.

p.s. i'm studying Emma now (we're watchin clueless after the book). its really boring but i heard the movie's better lol
They scale the same......

allira92

HSC

They scale the same......
lets not get into this ...again...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)