Eng Ext 2 (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

televators said:
maybe your story was not as 'crash hot' as you thought...lets face it, this course was always going to be a lottery- my teacher 'guaranteed' all us 40+- but did i listen? the answer is no- the fact is people, teachers, despite maybe having marking experience for the course, will not be the ones marking your work... they could of had a completely contrasting view to your mentor, etc...even if 100 ppl thought it was a great story, it only takes that small panel to disagree

the same thing happened with some of my fellow ee2 classmates, however we knew that in this course their are never any guarantees, applying for a re-check would only land more egg on your face than there already is, especially if they totally shut you down
It might not have been 50/50, but it was definitely worth more than 29.

Can they deduct marks?

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
I've found that the people who try really hard in E2 English end up getting screwed, and the people that just take an example work from a friend in the previous year and just basically copy/edit that do extremely well.

As much as you don't like to think it is, the marking is 100% subjective. You might have written about a controversial or just plain crap topic.

That being said, I wrote about blowing up a school in my English 2 Unit Advanced (2003), and did better than I hoped.

televators

HSC
the marking criteria is so ambiguous- if that was one thing our teach made us review properly, it was that- i reckon ee2 should be made exclusive in the sense we should get markers comments, considering the high level of subjectivity that is apparent- its not like 10 thousand students do the course

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Well, I didn't do ext 2 english, but my friend did, and I thought I might just share you his story. Throughout the year, he's been so committed with his major work, and is the one subject he always focuses on every week. He's really smart in English too, and VERY imaginative.

Everytime his ext 2 english teacher checked his work, she filled him with so much praises (which is rare, because she's a really hard marker and is not easily pleased with people's work). Today, I checked the SMH and expecting my friend to be in the honour's list for the subject and, lo and behold, he didn't get top band for it. So, there you go...

persephone

HSC
i worked my butt off and got 42 for my exam mark. thank god my assessment mark, which made my overall mark 44. i worked my butt off for ext 2. it was my favourite and best subject. and ancient, the subject i care least about i get a band 6? where's the justice?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I wanted to drop it.
I hated this subject.

Purely because the poetry was about the fights between mum and dad and me. Culture clashes. I hated my concept but it was kinda therapy, to face the issues, you know? I made it postmodern, researched postmodern artists, I linked the relationship between God and Adam before Adam was given flesh and free will. God as the father, Adam as his creation (not his son). I interchanged the Christian God with Allah, Buhdda, The Lord and Lady.... the many faces of a parent - incredible amounts of characters. I also talked about the "otherness" of women blah blah blah.

I researched different languages that make up the migrants of Australia and used foreign words in my majorwork, which took a bit of time. The thing here is, I've said to my teacher that I wanted to drop the subject dozens of times, but he didn't take me seriously when I said I wanted to. I never got good marks in my assessments, proposal whatever. To think of it, it was 7/15's everywhere. It was hard to get motivated with negative feedback.

I left drafts to whenever I felt like writing, so it's all emotional and impulsive and real. I hated my teacher because I thought he didn't believe in me because he was angry with my reflection statement. He didn't think he knew what i was doing. Refining it over and over...

And I got good results. E4.

I think I deserved them.

Moral: who cares what they say, just hand the goddamn thing in.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Internal - ranked like 14/38 (which is fine), assessment mark - 46/50

Exam mark - 35/50 (I guess they hated it...), HSC mark - 41.

I'm kinda disappointed. I WAS expecting better. Everything was pointing towards a higher mark, but no. This includes critique from all my teachers, and outside professionals (note - plural!)

Oh well.

I guess, at the end of the day, since I can get into my courses without extra EE2 marks (I only did 10 units) that's the only reason I'm not appealling. I'm not happy, but I'm still satisfied...

EE2 is a lot more subjective that I thought it would be. I remember vaguely hearing things about EE2, but the reality of how subjective it can be never really hit until today. Perhaps I will leave a note for the 05's so they're not as clueless as I am. :D

deusexmachina

HSC
Subjectivity

Yeah, English Extension 2 is subjective - but there are a few sure fire ways of getting marks.

One: cover an original concept. Teachers are sick of Sylvia Plath critical responses, and they're VERY sick of angsty teenage short stories. Two: make sure the ideas come from your 2 and 3 unit courses (HSC or preliminary). Three: make sure it's grammatically and typographically perfect - they want varied, well-constructed sentences with all the words spelt correctly.

Above all, they're looking for an extension - that means your Advanced and Extension 1 course, but better. Keep that in mind.

super katie

BEHOLD!
HSC
I think people need to realise that they're not just competing against their class but against the rest of the state. Just because you're top of your class or appear to be fantastic at english within the conext of your grade doesn't mean you are necessarily as good as the rest of the students you're competing against. Your assessment mark or rank is not an accurate reflection of the type of mark you're going to get for your finished mw.

Fire_Hydra

ain't no other
HSC
super katie said:
50 for my MW :) completely stoked.

GO SUPER KATIE!! awesomely cool stuff...i got a very cool 49 external and....shock horror...49 internal...............overall v happy! CONGRATS TO EVERYONE!! from what i've read so far we've rocked the socks off jocks!!

luv yaz

hydra. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)