eng/science (1 Viewer)

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Hey guys, i want to know the job prospects from doing a double degree in Computer Engineering and BSc. Mathematics. I have seen the UNSW handbook site with this double degree. Im pretty sure with computer engineering but i would like to do research later on, so a BSc. would be useful i think? Do you guys know anyone that does a double degree in eng/science ? Im also interested in the The Centre for Quantum Computer Technology at UNSW, so any info regarding opportunities there would be useful, i have contacted them though. :)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
If you want to do that, you are better off with a physics degree rather than maths.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
okay thanks for that. Do you think there are disadvantages by doing doing a double degree which has similar qualities as opposed to like eng/commerce. Are there many who do eng/science?

gman03

HSC
If you like science, do science. If you like commerce, do commerce. If you like both, do commerce/sci.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
yeah, i like your degree combination as well. What kind of job are you hoping for?

gman03

HSC
I am looking primary at research of embedded system design + software development on top of my design (kinda like mobile phone or game console, whichever I can handle). I do enjoy programming + designing hardware, thou I get frustrated sometimes.

As for your degree selection, it depends entirely up to which area you want to persue:

Science:
* Computer - programming
* Maths - chaos theory, statistics etc.
* Physics - Go Quantum!

Commerce (just to list a fre):
* Finanace
* Accounting
* Marketing?

So yeah you will need to narrow it down, Having too many options *incase* you might need it in the future is actually not that effective..

Good luck

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
STx said:
okay thanks for that. Do you think there are disadvantages by doing doing a double degree which has similar qualities as opposed to like eng/commerce. Are there many who do eng/science?
You keep asking how many do this and how many do that. University is so flexible that it really doesn't matter. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about how obscure it may be. Heck some people do Medicine and Maths together...

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
redslert said:
You keep asking how many do this and how many do that. University is so flexible that it really doesn't matter. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about how obscure it may be. Heck some people do Medicine and Maths together...
I see now, thanks for that

ace

is retired
HSC
§eraphim said:
Actuarial Studies/Seng would be a wise choice.
You'd be very busy. Also, may need to (will need to) overload in order to get all the acturial requirements (and obviously you'd want to get those)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
All the actuarial exemptions can probably fit in now you don't have to do micro 2 or acct 2b.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
hmm, probably not actuarial though. But if i did computer engineering, what would be a wise commerce major for a double?

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
^? Also how far does the level of maths go in comp.eng ?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
No one is going to tell you what is a 'good' major becuause there is no such thing. Do what you want to and not what someone tells you to. We can only advice on what things can lead to and none of us will bother going into detail about every major.

What do you mean by level of maths?
There's maths in all engineering, but the difficulty will depend on what courses you choose to do.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
ok, what kind of theory do you learn in the hardest maths course? And how hard do you think it is actually?

gman03

HSC
STx said:
ok, what kind of theory do you learn in the hardest maths course?
Out of curiosity, how will that affect your choice of university degree?

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
gman03 said:
Out of curiosity, how will that affect your choice of university degree?
well i was just interested to know, thanks for the link redslert

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
hmm, i've been getting advice from quite a few people that Computer Engineering has few jobs, not in demand..etc And that I should consider Biomedical Engineering instead...which i am not interested in.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
the highest level first year maths course is actuary (math1151), and its mainly error terms, approximations and they do probability in first semester. for math1131 (normal maths) and math1141 (higher maths) they're pretty similar and basically just 4u maths all over again with vectors and matrices thrown in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)