Engg1000 thoughts and tips (1 Viewer)

purpleapple

HSC
N/A
What is everyone's experience with Engg1000 and what do you guys think of it as an engineering course?
It doesn't seem to teach you much stuff you need for any particular field of engineering, but is it useful for meeting new people and improving group work skills?
Is it particularly helpful for the later design-oriented courses you do, given that Engg1000 is supposed to be an intro to engineering design and innovation?

According to a teacher in the engineering faculty, apparently no-one has ever switched out Engg1000 for something else under the Elite Students Scheme (which allows you to switch out no more than 2 core courses and so on given a good enough explanation etc), do you guys think if possible it is worth switching it out for a more useful/relevant course to your field?

I have heard about things like it's considerably better to do in semester 1 because of possibly less international students, more topics to pick from. Some also said the marking is terrible in semester 2, can anyone elaborate on that please? Any other tips/recommendations in general?

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
you don't learn much content wise but you get to make something based on design principle's and what not

but overall it's a pretty decent course tbh

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
My experience was horrible. I only had to deal with one international student but the experience was still horrible due to the project nature. Also, nothing on professional engineering practices was really taught. The marking scheme in semester 2 was pretty bad too.

AllTogether

HSC
Choose an easy project like the civil engineering ones. Not only is there no peer assessment, you also get to choose your own group.

purpleapple

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the replies guys :)

The marking scheme in semester 2 was pretty bad too.
They had a different marking scheme?? lol why would they do that :')

Choose an easy project like the civil engineering ones. Not only is there no peer assessment, you also get to choose your own group.
Hmm none of my friends are doing UNSW engineering... any tips on spotting out people who might be inclined to put in the effort and contribute? :p

XzaM

HSC
It was horrific when I did it last sem since I planned on transferring into eng. Group was full of international students and I basically had to do all the work, barely scraped a distinction which I consider a shit mark, especially considering the time I had to put in. Peer assessment was a nightmare.

Not sure if it's different in semester one but I'd advise highly against the mech project, apparently they changed the specifications and made it harder last sem; in final testing only 5 out of 20 or so groups got over 50%, only 2 groups made it to the end of the track and no one got close to 100% (highest was 70% I think). It wasn't scaled against other streams either, I think their reasoning was if you did badly in testing you have more to write about in your final report or some BS like that. Additionally, when I had an issue with the submission page for my technical stream (which is organized separately to your main project) I had to email 3 different lecturers over the span of a month to get a response; it was terribly organized and I honestly didn't learn a single thing in the entire course. I could go on forever but I think I'll stop my rant here.

EDIT: Despite the submission issues I had, I do recommend the computing technical stream as it's pretty easy to do well in it even if you don't know a thing about programming; the lecturer basically gives you the answers to the labs and you get to mess around with an Arduino. Not sure if it's the same for the other technical streams.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)