Engineering/Commerce Question? (1 Viewer)

Seomate

HSC
Okay so I planning to do an Internal Program Transfer [IPT] at the end of first year, which means I need a WAM of 75+ for me to be able to transfer. However, I don't want to do Physics PHYS1121/31 as I'm not that good in Physics (one of my lowest marks in HSC) and I probably won't get a high enough WAM for me to transfer. Since this is the case, I replaced PHYS1121/31 with ECON1101 (a second year course) so that I would be doing ECON1101 in first year instead of second year and hence, delay Physics for second year (which by then I'll hopefully won't be doing due to IPT).

But then I looked at the UNSW Handbook and I noticed that PHYS1121/31 has a co-requisite of MATH1131/41 (which I am planning to do).

I guess my question is that, if for some reason I'm not able to do the IPT and end up stuck in Engineering/Commerce for a second year, would I still be able to do PHYS1121/31 in second year even though I completed MATH1131/41 in my first year?

EDIT: The courses I have chosen are:
- PSYC1001
- ECON1101
- MATH1141
- ENGG1000

and I am majoring in Electrical Engineering.

CSEStudent

HSC
N/A
Okay so I planning to do an Internal Program Transfer [IPT] at the end of first year, which means I need a WAM of 75+ for me to be able to transfer. However, I don't want to do Physics PHYS1121/31 as I'm not that good in Physics (one of my lowest marks in HSC) and I probably won't get a high enough WAM for me to transfer. Since this is the case, I replaced PHYS1121/31 with ECON1101 (a second year course) so that I would be doing ECON1101 in first year instead of second year and hence, delay Physics for second year (which by then I'll hopefully won't be doing due to IPT).

But then I looked at the UNSW Handbook and I noticed that PHYS1121/31 has a co-requisite of MATH1131/41 (which I am planning to do).

I guess my question is that, if for some reason I'm not able to do the IPT and end up stuck in Engineering/Commerce for a second year, would I still be able to do PHYS1121/31 in second year even though I completed MATH1131/41 in my first year?

EDIT: The courses I have chosen are:
- PSYC1001
- ECON1101
- MATH1141
- ENGG1000

and I am majoring in Electrical Engineering.
Yes, because you would have finished MATH1141. Co-req basically means that you have to do the requisite course (MATH) at the same time or before PHYS

Jay123

HSC
Hey guys, if we have already enrolled in a class, is it possible to swap it for the same class in order to change the time?

QZP

HSC
Hey guys, if we have already enrolled in a class, is it possible to swap it for the same class in order to change the time?
Yes. Drop the course and then re-enroll into it so you can re-select class times

QZP

HSC
k.

... so what's the difference?

D94

HSC
N/A
What's the difference? O:
Drop means you unenrol from the course. Swap retains your position - you only change your time slot.
In the time you Drop a course, someone else might have enrolled into it and that might be the last spot.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
k.

... so what's the difference?
If you drop, you lose the original spots you had set in stone.

I did a quick swap yesterday for a tute, but because I was already in the full lecture stream I could pick it again any way (which has been full for a long time now).

Also, if it fills up while you are changing it and you can't enrol, if you chose the swap function then you would just get redirected that the swap was unsuccessful and you will keep the original course that you were trying to swap.

It is just so much safer using the swap function. If I used drop yesterday to change my tute time, I would have said good bye to my good time table. So yeah, swap is definitely the way to go.

Reactions: QZP

Seomate

HSC
Hey guys, since I want to do the Internal Program Transfer after my first year (meaning I need a WAM of 75%+), would it be more beneficial for me to go to MATH1131 or MATH1141?? And also, since that is the case, would it be a good idea for me to replace PHYS1121/31 with ECON1101 for sem 1?

Jay123

HSC
Made a bad last minute decision for UAC prefs haha :(
LOL, dw i'm in the same boat. I was pretty pumped to do comm/eco, but my mum forced me into comm/engo. I thought i'd give it ago, since i dont mind engineering, but i know i would have much preferred comm/eco. Everytime i say "transfer" my mum says "go live somewhere else"...

kalstar

swag
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, because you would have finished MATH1141. Co-req basically means that you have to do the requisite course (MATH) at the same time or before PHYS
this

If you drop, you lose the original spots you had set in stone.

I did a quick swap yesterday for a tute, but because I was already in the full lecture stream I could pick it again any way (which has been full for a long time now).

Also, if it fills up while you are changing it and you can't enrol, if you chose the swap function then you would just get redirected that the swap was unsuccessful and you will keep the original course that you were trying to swap.

It is just so much safer using the swap function. If I used drop yesterday to change my tute time, I would have said good bye to my good time table. So yeah, swap is definitely the way to go.
this

Hey guys, since I want to do the Internal Program Transfer after my first year (meaning I need a WAM of 75%+), would it be more beneficial for me to go to MATH1131 or MATH1141?? And also, since that is the case, would it be a good idea for me to replace PHYS1121/31 with ECON1101 for sem 1?
MATH1131 obviously, and depends, choose the easier course.

Seomate

HSC
LOL, dw i'm in the same boat. I was pretty pumped to do comm/eco, but my mum forced me into comm/engo. I thought i'd give it ago, since i dont mind engineering, but i know i would have much preferred comm/eco. Everytime i say "transfer" my mum says "go live somewhere else"...
I understand your pain dw! Except I wanna get out of Comm/Engo LOL. Gonna try my hardest to do an Internal Program Transfer after first year :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)