Engineering Studies? (1 Viewer)

maths94

HSC
My school offers engineering studies and l myself which to undertake Engineering in UNI wen it gets time for me to do the HSC. I am thinking to do English Advanced so l i will hav to drop a [2U] subject in Yr 12. I asked one of my friends which one to drop Physics, Chemistry, Economics or Engineering studies. He replyed engineering studies, what a shock it was to me. He replyed you do not need to do engineering studies in school/HSC to take it into UNI. He also replyed saying that engineering has a hard work-load and that it gives off a bad scaling. So should l drop engineering? and why? Also what other subject should i drop instead of engineering and why?

Last edited:

LoneWolf1990

HSC
You don't really need Engineering Studies for Engineering in Uni, you could may as well drop that

iEdd

HSC
I replied:

I've found having done Engineering Studies quite helpful at uni. At least for basic understanding of things like forces, vector drawings, types of materials and material selection, writing reports, etc. Sure, it's not required, but that's because it would be unreasonable to require a subject that not every school offers. You would be reasonably screwed without physics (or have to do a bridging course), chemistry helps a lot too. Probably should drop economics, as it won't really give you a head start in your degree. However, if you think you enjoy economics too much to drop it, then maybe you should consider B.Eco instead of B.E.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
why is that?
Engineering studies, from what I have seen does give you an introductory idea on typical engineering concepts such as Free-Body diagrams, very important in Engineering at university.
Also friction is taken into account as opposed to HSC Physics.
Material selection is also very important in the design courses in engineering at university.

Although stress-strain diagrams and experiments are not hard to understand if I knew about it earlier in the HSC then at university it would be quicker and easier to understand.

Basically I believe HSC Engineering Studies would give people some introductory background to the content at university but then what you need to know will be taught at uni.

HSC
N/A
Why do you NEED to drop something in yr12 because you are doing Advanced english?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)