ENGL1025- what the? (1 Viewer)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
What do people think of this subject so far? The things the lecturer discusses don't seem entirely (or at all) relevant to the course.

For those who have a better grasp of where this subject is heading, could you possibly explain it briefly? At the moment, it seems very wishy washy. I'm very much an "english" student, but I'm not enjoying it much so far.

neafoo

HSC
haha i got the same problem... i dont know what hes talking about... but it could be my fault... i mean we watched cops in a lecture yesterday... but i didnt know what we were looking for in it? what are we trying to get from analysis?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I completely agree, I have no idea where he's been going with both the lectures so far. I have a feeling it'll improve once we actually start the texts.....hopefully

Megan5

HSC
Yeah, to be honest, I'm not enjoying this subject much either, which is really frustrating. It just seems all over the place, with no real direction.
Like he went on and on about modernity and what not, only to say that it's not really what fiction, film and power is about.
I don't know, hopefully tutorials will give us some more information on it all.
Oh, and by the way, didn't he say something about their being film screenings every monday night at 6pm, starting tomorrow? Or was I just hearing things?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Man, it is SUCH a relief to hear that people feel the same as I do about the course so far. I agree that hopefully the course will make more sense once tutes start.

Megan5, you are right. From 6-8 tomorrow is the screening of the film Double Indemnity.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
I'm gonna have to rent it out, it's way too much work to go to uni on a day when I have no lectures/tutorials

neafoo

HSC
i think ill just watch it there tonight, i dont have a membership to any video rental stores or anything =[

gelina

HSC
dagwoman said:
Man, it is SUCH a relief to hear that people feel the same as I do about the course so far. I agree that hopefully the course will make more sense once tutes start.
Agreed.
I spent most of the time in lectures trying to make sense of what he is saying and how it relates, instead of writing (seeing as you're supposed to take down the key notes - which I had no idea of)

Maybe whatever he has written in his lecture plan (practiced speech) makes sense to him, but not to me.

No doubt, a cool guy though :confused:

Anyone in a tutorial tomorrow 1-2 at Woolley?
[Edit: Nice. My tutes on Wednesday 1-2 anyway. Hah. Losing track of time]

Last edited:

neafoo

HSC
i had a tute today with the lecturer dude. still lost =[
then i watched the movie.

company_sin

HSC
Who is your lecturer?

And, from my experience, first-year English units are by no means coherent; instead, they tend to be a huge bundle of ideas which haven't even the most tenuous connections between them.

neafoo

HSC
looking in the reader i think he is Dr Stefan Mattessich
i think its his first year, he just got here from america i think.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
gelina said:
Anyone in a tutorial tomorrow 1-2 at Woolley?
[Edit: Nice. My tutes on Wednesday 1-2 anyway. Hah. Losing track of time]
Yes, I'm in tute at 1-2 Wednesday, Wooley N384

company_sin

HSC
Ah, Stefan!

He came across from America halfway through last semester to convene the second half of the Postmodernism course.

I find him an... interesting teacher. He's amazingly intelligent and what he has to say is great and often really interesting. Sadly though, what he has to say rarely has anything to do with what the lecture ought to be on.

At least he's friendly which is something I can't say for some of the more competent members of the faculty.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
company_sin said:
I find him an... interesting teacher. He's amazingly intelligent and what he has to say is great and often really interesting. Sadly though, what he has to say rarely has anything to do with what the lecture ought to be on.

At least he's friendly which is something I can't say for some of the more competent members of the faculty.
That pretty much sums up my thoughts on him, too.

walrusbear

HSC
i really liked stefan mattessich

although his lecturing style probably isn't suited to 1st year english
the courses lack cohesion to begin with, and the sometimes unstructured lectures he gives aren't so suitable

but damn hell
he's incredibly interesting

company_sin

HSC
walrusbear said:
although his lecturing style probably isn't suited to 1st year english
the courses lack cohesion to begin with, and the sometimes unstructured lectures he gives aren't so suitable
Well, be grateful that you're being prepped for advanced English units in which nothing is spoon fed to you via lectures.

But I agree. He - like many staff members in the English department - is definitely not suited for first year English.

gelina

HSC
Yay. 1-2 tute tomorrow. I'm tired as hell.

Let's hope I'm wide awake for tomorrow's lecture to try and make more sense of it.

& agreed about Mister Stefan. I don't even know why I'm doing English.
I think it was a prereq for something.

Anyway, as long as I get a credit. :p

fredbob777

HSC
so are the reader/course notes any good for this course? or are they just more incoherant ramblings like the lecturer???

and there doesnt seem to be any online content which is a shame

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
I'm really beginning to hate this subject. The rambling seems unstructured and, more importantly, seems to have little if any relevance to the point of the subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)