English *Adv or Genral (1 Viewer)

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
i am not the best english student... english isnt my 1st language (arabic is). i try in english now but as a child i never did because i started late so it was difficult 4 me...
i am tryn 2 do advanced but im not sure... would i do better in genral or advanced...
i am a public speeker and debater so i can wite speachs no worries... but when righting essays i can get confused and nervous and i forget things...
is it worth doin advanced and the changing if i dont do well in yr 11 and how would genral english effect my UAI

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
judging by his conversational english i dont think ESL is a viable option, i spoke a language other than english but after hard work im fine, just keep trying!

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
doesnt ESL require you to be in aus for less than 5 years?

put it this way, advance english has alot of essay writing involved and in exams they require you to write at least 4 pages inorder for you to cover the essentials.

advance and standard english both have the same ranking. Remember my friend if you do these subjects well then you shouldnt really worry about the scaling.

santaslayer

HSC
The very fact you are posting this message makes me believe you should do standard. :)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JamiL
i am not the best english student... english isnt my 1st language (arabic is). i try in english now but as a child i never did because i started late so it was difficult 4 me...
i am tryn 2 do advanced but im not sure... would i do better in genral or advanced...
i am a public speeker and debater so i can wite speachs no worries... but when righting essays i can get confused and nervous and i forget things...
is it worth doin advanced and the changing if i dont do well in yr 11 and how would genral english effect my UAI
i think you should consult your teachers/ head teachers and get their advice

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by dark`secrets
doesnt ESL require you to be in aus for less than 5 years?
:uhhuh:
well vietnamese was my first language, but i was born here. i was going to standard since english was the worst subject for me, but i gave andvanced a go. theres nothing wrong with giving advanced a go and then dropping down to standard later on. my friends did and theyre still doing well in standard. the teacher recommeneded me to do standard, but i did advanced in year 11 and boy, did i prove him wrong :p i was ranked 28/90 :p (yes, i am proud of that rank :p) you never know, good things might turn out for you ;)

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
i cant do esl i was born n have lived in australia my whole life but i was rasied in and arib family and that was my 1st language... i used 2 have 2 do esl in primary school it is my worst subject 2... i dont want 2 drop this year because my teacher is realy good an i think i can learn alot off her... and since standard (not genral) is similar 2 adv i can use a lot of it... i talked 2 my teacher at the begining of the year... but i would rather a students perspective because most of you have experianced it (the HSC)

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
I think you should do whatever you feel is best. It might sound lame, but perhaps you should keep doing advanced, or in the event of you taking standard next year you should try your hardest to go well. Thinking beyond the "HSC", improving your english skills will help you later in life. It also depends on what you're looking to do...lol, perhaps you could go to an Arab country and teach english :).

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Standard. :)
Advanced means you're competing against people who've developed their skills over a long period, and against people like students in NSGH and SGH.

Nothing wrong with standard anyway, and it gives you a chance to do Fundamentals of English.

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
doesnt matter i was born here and my native language is cantonese, :) and im doing advance english.

honestly, give it a try, beside you are only in yr 11 :) if you dont like it then you can drop. but remember to always be true to yourself and if you stick to advance english it means no slacking off what so ever. it takes alot of commitment.

= Jennifer =

HSC
Originally posted by Estel
Standard. :)
Advanced means you're competing against people who've developed their skills over a long period, and against people like students in NSGH and SGH.

Nothing wrong with standard anyway, and it gives you a chance to do Fundamentals of English.
i agree

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
listen cuz,
I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through but i probably wouldnt have had i not experienced it myself. Arabic is also my first language and i had all my past english teachers review my situation and i came to the decision that standard english was for me.

list of pros and cons i wrote out before
pros:
Standard
*same scaling as advanced
*the majority of the candidature is filled with people who i classify as mediocre
*LESS HOMEWORK
*You can have a laugh in class when you need to relax

Advanced
*more intelectually stimulating
*you can participate in class discussion without anyone calling you a Zeb (so you dont have to get up and belt them)
*Hot Girls (all the hot chicks are in that class because there writing is fancy and they decorate there essays LOL :D)

and you do the cons...

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by JamiL
thx for all the input.. it is realy helpful....
its nice 2 get opinions from people who have gone through it...
do tell us your decision :)
Originally posted by sam04u
*Hot Girls (all the hot chicks are in that class because there writing is fancy and they decorate there essays LOL :D)
Originally posted by SpoRTsGaL
er... he goes to an all boys school... well there might be some girly guys there... but its an all boys school.
owned :rofl:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)