ENGLISH! (All courses welcome =D) (2 Viewers)

wynnedoze

HSC
tamaranadine said:
lol.

I wanted to do wuthering heights as well, but its in the hsc so i can't!!!

so lame
you WANTED to do wuthering heights!! :O we had to do it in year 10. It got called Withering heights by everyone, and i mean everyone including our teacher!!

we have to do "reinventions". at the moment we have a sub cause our teachers in hospital, and she told us that it was weird doing reinventions, that everyone else did changes. man, that topic sounds so much easier.
We're reading life of pi

PrettyVacant

HSC
Advanced: "relationships" - The movie Out of Africa and the book The Great Gatsby
Ext 1: Pop VS High Culture. Some lame essays by Old people. =(

Heliotrope

HSC
Advanced: Modernism? - T.S. Eliot's poetry.
Extension: Gothicism - The Castle of Otranto.

Advanced - Reinventions - "Life Of Pi" by Yann Martel.
Extension 1 - The Art Of Storytelling - "The Penelopiad" by Margaret Atwood
NOT FAAAAIR.

Last edited:

booties4

HSC
Adv- Changin Perspectives, were reading Mao's last dancer.....at the moment were doing John Donne.

Ext- Literary theory: Mansfield Park.........its Odd

ccc123

HSC
LottoX said:
Oh, I read Frankenstein, it was so bloody boring as well. I hate how dreary they make the writing. Stupid Mary Shelley.
Omg, i'm reading Frankenstein as well. I hate how english teachers are always rambling on about how importnat it is to write SUCCINCTLY , and then they give us Frankenstein to read. Hey don't you recken Mary Shelly is really circumlocutory when she's talking about the weather or whatever, and then when a scene is actually significant she's really blunt; like in the scene where the monster was created; "He bestowed life upon the creature". 0_o

Itazura

HSC
Hmm...
Advanced: At the moment we're just looking at short stories. We're looking at Tim Winton's Scisson and moving on to something of Margaret Atwood's shortly.
Extension English: Umm, wow, shows how much I know about where the course is going. We're studying Satire for the year, as well as looking at how literature has evolved with time. We actual did a little background in philosophy (As our teacher believes it would be useful) and we recently looked at excerpts from Utopia.

Haha, someone was talking about Wuthering Heights, I'm using that for an English assessment at the moment. It's an interesting read in my opinion (Just avoid the song about it by Kate Bush, even if it is hilarious)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
cs01001 said:
How would you know? You don't even do Extension.

NOT FAAAAIR.
Mwahahaha. I know. :D

I don't know, I really disliked Wuthering Heights. It took me a while to get into it, because of the language and the way it jumps back and forth through time, and by the time I actually started to somewhat get into it, it just ended. I don't know, I can see why some people like it, but I couldn't. The characters were too unlikable (and not in an interesting, complex way) and the story itself was rather dull to me.

cogito.ergo.sum

HSC
I thought yr.11 would move along much faster than it is at the moment.

We're doing Frank for ext now and although i'll have to disagree about the language, i like the descriptive nature of the book, i have to say it becomes a bit too much by the end of the novel.

Does anyone have suggestions for texts which demonstrate change in various forms?? They don't have to be novels...

tan2

HSC
ADV - Change poems by Kenneth Slessor.

And now i need to find one related texts to his poems. I have found one so far! Any suggestions?

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
tamaranadine said:
you can't do wuthering heights because it is a hsc text
You can still use it for related texts, I think. So long as it isn't your class's focus study. (I'm probably wrong. Eh.)

slowjam10

HSC
Heyz

For Advanced we our AOS is Changing Perspective and we have just been through just about everything in the Stimulus Booklet and our novel is "Maestro' by Peter goldsworthy (so...so.....So grotty we have been told to get our minds out of the gutters ...my response was Cliche, they always tell us not to use cliched phrases but they use them all the time.

For Ext we are studying The Art of Dissent which is basically when one person differs from the rest of society, someone not a part of the status quo. For that we are studying poetry by W.H. AUDEN imparticular Miss Gee and we are bout to start One over the Cuckoo's Nest the film.

Ext is more enjoyable but also more work i wonder if i should keep it

Cheap Thrills

HSC
adv: changing perspective - 'maestro' by peter goldsworthy

ext: the tragic hero - 'oedipus the king' by sophocles, which was pretty cool, and the other day we watched star wars ep 3.

Last edited:

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
undalay said:
Advance - Identity, but we're not doing that until term 2 i think. Currently doing modernism poetry.

Extension - Utopia, so bloody interesting i'm doing more work that wasn't prescribed by the teacher.
Gattaca and 1984?

I wish I could do that again. That was an amazing unit. 1984 still stands as the best book I have ever read.

HSC
English Advanced -->'Change/Changing Self', and we're reading "The Crucible" - Arthur Miller.
English Extension--> I don't even know what the topic we're doing is called. My teacher confuses me. I get what he's teaching us...but he doesn't talk about topics or syllabus or anything...though we're reading "The Hours" - Michael Cunningham.

Are any of you planning on doing Ext. II in Year 12?

porquoispas

HSC
Advanced area of study- change.... text- washington square
Ext 1 AOS- romance.... text- rebbeca

van.tango

HSC
Life of Pi is a fantastic book, but it can get heavy when he starts really throughly describing the biology & science of living with the animals... just stick with it.
Eng. Adv. is change, text is Maestro by Peter Goldsworthy.
Eng. Ext. is the alien self, currently studying Frankenstein.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)