English exam help =(. (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Heyy guys,
I have my english prelim advanced exam this co,ing tuesday and i'm pretty stuffed. So okay, our exam comprises of two long responses:

1. Essay on the different readings on our inclass novel .([Two actual readings(eg. marxism,feminism) and one reading of our own.]

2.Interview on the representation of wolves( three in class texts and one of our own choosing).

So for the essay, I'm guessing you'll have to talk about how people can have different approaches of reading towards a text ( in my case, house of spirits)which means you gotta relate it to context.

The problem is.. i don't really get the idea of context?
Social,cutlural, political,hisotrical etc. Could someone explain what each of these mean ? and perhps give some examples?. Thanks

Also, what could you possibly have as your own reading? Our teacher didin't really explained it properly;she just gave us the notifications for it.

Zephyrio

HSC
Context and Readings

Really what this is about is how we interpret the events within the novel. So your thesis for this unit of work should be something along the lines of "Context affects the way we interpret House of Spirits".

Then you look at your readings and why they are possible because of the context you read your novel in. For example, because we as Westerners have been brought up to value women's rights and value gender equality, we can look at House of Spirits and say, hey, these women are treated really badly.

Your readings can include Marxist, Feminist, Cultural, Personal, Postcolonial etc.

summermagic

HSC
VuongstER_boi, the book's called "The House of the Spirits" might have helped if you read it.

Yeah and what Zephyrio says (hi Zephyrio!) is correct. Your own reading refers to your personal response to the novel. Your own reading is what you think the author is trying to convey through the novel.

For example, a Feminist will read the text and go 'hey, Allende is trying to highlight the fact that women are treated unfairly and has shown it through ____________ (techniques)etc. '
Your own reading needs you to go 'hey, Allende is showing us that ________________ (insert what you think Allende's trying to convey) and she has done this through _______________ (insert techniques) '. This here is your own reading.

Let's hope you read these messages of help in time.

Last edited:

VuongstER_boi

HSC
summermagic said:
VuongstER_boi, the book's called "The House of the Spirits" might have helped if you read it.

Yeah and what Zephyrio says (hi Zephyrio!) is correct. Your own reading refers to your personal response to the novel. Your own reading is what you think the author is trying to convey through the novel.

For example, a Feminist will read the text and go 'hey, Allende is trying to highlight the fact that women are treated unfairly and has shown it through ____________ (techniques)etc. '
Your own reading needs you to go 'hey, Allende is showing us that ________________ (insert what you think Allende's trying to convey) and she has done this through _______________ (insert techniques) '. This here is your own reading.

Let's hope you read these messages of help in time.
LOL hey summmermagic. I know who u r now. and nahh, i didn;t read it in time but i follwed the structure that u showed anyways so luckily. Did alright in essay but failed the interview. -__.-;; lol.

Ohh wells. tomorrow is physics...here i come!!!

piinkpriinc3ss

HSC
The time that the book was made, script was written or movie was produced all have an affect on the audience. This is what context is. The reasons of the way artists produce their work depends on the context which is the time frame that they are in. Shakespeare -vs- Steven Speilberg. Their productions and movie themes are different becuase of the time frames they were in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)