• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

English Ext 2 Advice (1 Viewer)

etoile rouge

HSC
I'm doing English Ext 2 for year 12 but I need people to tell me what its all about.
This is what I know:
-We do a major project (I'm doing the story writing)
-there are 3 assessments
-we keep a log book

Now, things I don't get:
- it has be a development on Extension 1 or advanced english. Can someone explain this clearly.
-Do we submit the log book to the markers?
-I read something about concepts. What concepts?????!!!!!!
- I also read this MP requires HEAPS of research but I can't think of why that would be necessary if you're doing a story.

And:
-What are the markers looking for? How can I get the best possible marks?

If you have any really good advice can u please post them. Please. I'm really starting to worry about all this.

alex.leon

not an ATARd
HSC
I'm doing English Ext 2 for year 12 but I need people to tell me what its all about.
This is what I know:
-We do a major project (I'm doing the story writing)
-there are 3 assessments
-we keep a log book

Now, things I don't get:
- it has be a development on Extension 1 or advanced english. Can someone explain this clearly.
-Do we submit the log book to the markers?
-I read something about concepts. What concepts?????!!!!!!
- I also read this MP requires HEAPS of research but I can't think of why that would be necessary if you're doing a story.

And:
-What are the markers looking for? How can I get the best possible marks?

If you have any really good advice can u please post them. Please. I'm really starting to worry about all this.
<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:24pt; height:24pt'/><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--> Thanks
Alright, to try and answer all your questions.

• Yes, your major work is supposed to be an extension of your knowledge attained either in your Preliminary HSC or HSC Advanced/Extension 1 courses. That doesn't mean, however, that the link between these courses and your major work has to be strong. Although it is required, the link may be extremely tenuous and not to the detriment of your work. You don't even have to address this idea until you get to writing the proposal.<o></o>
  • Yes, the logbook is submitted to the markers. Whether they read them is a whole other story. It is widely thought that a marker will only read your journal if they a) don't understand your work OR b) think your work might be plagiarised.<o></o>
  • What is a concept? Hmm, well...I guess it is an idea. An ideology or way of thinking that acts as the foundation of your major work. To me, a concept is a starting point- an idea that you can refine and retune that acts as a drive, or an underlying reference point to your major. Go and read some Reflection Statements in the BoS showcase- usually the concept is introduced in the first paragraph.<o></o>
  • Yes, I would say that any medium requires lots of research. The thing is, your major work isn't just a nice la-dee-da story. The course requires you to analyse and research in depth the area you're covering. Say, you wanted to do a story about...monkeys. You're expected to research everything about monkeys as to enrich the expressive honesty in your story. To take myself as an example, I wrote poetry about consumerism- this meant hours upon hours of researching types of poetry, other poets, as well as the ins and outs of consumerism as a social theory. Let me just stress- the Ext 2 course is more than just a creative endeavour. Most people would concur that without that layer of depth- you won't achieve solid marks.<o></o>
  • Nobody knows really what the markers are looking for. However, a great place to start is to look at the 2008 notes from the marking centre... http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2008exams/pdf_doc/english-extension2-notes-08.pdf -- I would think that that document would answer most of your questions
Hope I've helped. Happy writing!

etoile rouge

HSC
Alright, to try and answer all your questions.

• Yes, your major work is supposed to be an extension of your knowledge attained either in your Preliminary HSC or HSC Advanced/Extension 1 courses. That doesn't mean, however, that the link between these courses and your major work has to be strong. Although it is required, the link may be extremely tenuous and not to the detriment of your work. You don't even have to address this idea until you get to writing the proposal.<O></O>
  • Yes, the logbook is submitted to the markers. Whether they read them is a whole other story. It is widely thought that a marker will only read your journal if they a) don't understand your work OR b) think your work might be plagiarised.<O></O>
  • What is a concept? Hmm, well...I guess it is an idea. An ideology or way of thinking that acts as the foundation of your major work. To me, a concept is a starting point- an idea that you can refine and retune that acts as a drive, or an underlying reference point to your major. Go and read some Reflection Statements in the BoS showcase- usually the concept is introduced in the first paragraph.<O></O>
  • Yes, I would say that any medium requires lots of research. The thing is, your major work isn't just a nice la-dee-da story. The course requires you to analyse and research in depth the area you're covering. Say, you wanted to do a story about...monkeys. You're expected to research everything about monkeys as to enrich the expressive honesty in your story. To take myself as an example, I wrote poetry about consumerism- this meant hours upon hours of researching types of poetry, other poets, as well as the ins and outs of consumerism as a social theory. Let me just stress- the Ext 2 course is more than just a creative endeavour. Most people would concur that without that layer of depth- you won't achieve solid marks.<O></O>
  • Nobody knows really what the markers are looking for. However, a great place to start is to look at the 2008 notes from the marking centre... http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc_exams/hsc2008exams/pdf_doc/english-extension2-notes-08.pdf -- I would think that that document would answer most of your questions
Hope I've helped. Happy writing!
Cool! Thanks so much! You've really helped. Now I can actually look forward to it all! Thanks:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)