english extension 1 is killing me!! (1 Viewer)

saskiazoezelda

HSC
if anyone has advice on how to crack the band 4 range in extension one please let me know its driving me insane!
i get around 19/20 out of 25 on every assessment, i'm ranked first in my class etc but i really need to get into the 22/23 area.
this is for the analysis btw but any composition advice is welcome too.
i'm doing pride and prejudice, browning's poetry, the mill on the floss and i need to find another related material before the trials, have only had to do three texts so far.

helllpppp =]

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
saskiazoezelda said:
if anyone has advice on how to crack the band 4 range in extension one please let me know its driving me insane!
i get around 19/20 out of 25 on every assessment, i'm ranked first in my class etc but i really need to get into the 22/23 area.
i'm doing pride and prejudice, browning's poetry, the mill on the floss and i need to find another related material before the trials, have only had to do three texts so far.

helllpppp =]
Look mate, we all know this is a thread to help boost your ego and to allow you to show off, so fuck off and stop posting.

saskiazoezelda

HSC
are you fucking serious?????

its not my fault your a fucking dropkick, i need help and i need a good uai which at this rate im not going to get. so if you have nothing helpful to say dont bother replying.

HSC
I would help, but im doing crime fiction: The big sleep, anils ghost and the real inspector hound! And i know what u mean about being in band 5 - band six is what we want hey! that guy was a drop kick i agree.

In your responses, it all depends on 3 things.
- the length of your response. A 5 page response will clearly be better than a three page response. Some teaches prefer 'quality over quantity', but the examples they give of people writing 10 pages of dribble are totally myths from the marking centre. If you have 5 pages to write on crime, how can it be shit?
- how often you tie your points back to the question. I think every point has to clearly address the question (but im a bit pedantic haha)
- sophisticated writing. I dont mean just fancy words, sophistication means depth, structure, convention talk (subverted, adhere and abberant) and making each sentence strong.

I hope this helped. I love english ext, its natural and wayyy easier than english adv! you obviously need to know the texts well, but thats obvious haha

:)

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
saskiazoezelda said:
are you fucking serious?????

its not my fault you're a fucking dropkick, i need help and i need a good uai which at this rate im not going to get. so if you have nothing helpful to say dont bother replying.
sup

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just focus hard in class. If you have time when you get home, review what you did in class, but I think just doing your homework for English is more than enough.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
saskiazoezelda said:

helllpppp =]
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but internally only rankings matter. (There are some other threads in the HSC/school forums that deal with this)

So i would focus on maintaining those excellent ranks of yours (i assume you are also first in the grade, you weren't specific) and then perform your best in the externals to score the highest HSC mark you can attain. As long as you are ranked first internally, you will always score the highest mark externally (which will likely be yours).

SimonLee13

HSC
Rhanoct said:
its not my fault you're a fucking dropkick, i need help and i need a good uai which at this rate im not going to get. so if you have nothing helpful to say dont bother replying.
epic.

HSC
Aerath said:
Just focus hard in class. If you have time when you get home, review what you did in class, but I think just doing your homework for English is more than enough.
Lol!!

OP: If you haven't asked your teacher yet, do that, since they are the ones marking you. I'd say you've got content down with those marks and need to tighten your expression, so perhaps give your essay to someone else [good] and ask them if they follow your arguments well, what could be said better etc. A fresh set of eyes usually helps.

DomHarris

HSC
christy...never said:
And i know what u mean about being in band 5 - band six is what we want hey! that guy was a drop kick i agree.
umm... the bands only go up to E4...

HSC
im sure that if your academic skills dont secure you a desired career and university degree, your charming people skills will more than suffice

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC

helllpppp =]
I hope you went ok in the end- I love extension one! Best. Subject. Ever. Honestly, way better then Advanced.

danieljoseph69a

HSC
i believe i have the answer for you,

usually essays or assignemtns which get the marks around your range are good, however, they may not exactly answer the question directly, or may lack proof eg quotes, techniques or conventions discussed etc to support your claims. remember extension english is quite easy to get good marks in.. im averaging about 21 to 23 out of 25 atm. the only reason i believe i am doing this well is because firstly you need to consider the question... does your answer completely answer it?? also, if you answer the question, be sure to link your texts and use planty of quotes, examples and techniques.. ohh and a big no no lol dont retell the story.. chances are they have already read or watched it, so you dont need to go into detail.. give brief accounts of certain parts of the text, and then spend the remainder of your essay or question explaining the links..

this subject is one people find very difficult because about 80% of advanced english students love reteling and then just giivng a few quotes or examples.. the difference between ext and adv is the amount of analysis you can cram into it

i wish you all the best for the year:headbang:

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
i believe i have the answer for you,

usually essays or assignemtns which get the marks around your range are good, however, they may not exactly answer the question directly, or may lack proof eg quotes, techniques or conventions discussed etc to support your claims. remember extension english is quite easy to get good marks in.. im averaging about 21 to 23 out of 25 atm. the only reason i believe i am doing this well is because firstly you need to consider the question... does your answer completely answer it?? also, if you answer the question, be sure to link your texts and use planty of quotes, examples and techniques.. ohh and a big no no lol dont retell the story.. chances are they have already read or watched it, so you dont need to go into detail.. give brief accounts of certain parts of the text, and then spend the remainder of your essay or question explaining the links..

this subject is one people find very difficult because about 80% of advanced english students love reteling and then just giivng a few quotes or examples.. the difference between ext and adv is the amount of analysis you can cram into it

i wish you all the best for the year:headbang:
You must have a very warped idea about what advanced kids are capable of... even standard kids get out of the retelling trap... wft dude?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)