we have 5 doing ext 2!
our school is so crap!
need sum, help, whats the first thing to do
wen writing my story?
where do i start?
x x x any help greatly appreciated..

Dave2007

HSC
My school as about ~30 out of a year of 180.

I'm doing a sci-fi radio drama, in case its not stated elsewhere :) Also actively looking for ppl who want to help me.

To emsyb: The thing that helped me most was getting a double page in my journal and on one side write a list of all the various text-types you can write in with afew lines in between each. Then on the other side write a list of all the genres you like or have experience in and leave afew lines in between each.

Then underneath all these write a list of pros and cons, ideas and random thoughts towards each genre and text type. This will give you a good idea of what you want to do.

Then on the next page, choose one of the text-types and one genre from your the previous page that you think is good, then with this crossed-over selection write one paragraph on what youd do with that particular combination of genre and text type. Do that for about four different things.

Then the best and most interesting one, pick that.

Then start researching the genre and text-type from there

Keep filling out your journal as you read and ask people for advice

Then write a first very basic draft (just spill it out) of your script, essay, short story whatever, and ask everyone you know for feedback, and put it all in your journal. The proposal also helps put this in perspective. And then, bang! your half done. Just gotta polish it up into a good MW.

sarakelly89

HSC
Hi my name is Sara and I go to a small school on the mid north coast. I am doing 4U English and I am a little late getting started on my Ext2 major work. I am thinking of writing a few short stories on teengage pregnancy, exploring the different experiences of several teenage mothers. I would really appreciate any feedback!

EWarner

HSC
N/A
Has anyone looked at the Young Writers Showcase books from previous years? Is everyone else planning to be so radically innovative and non-traditional? All these works have incredibly deep ideas and themes relating to humanity... Is everyone else planning on creating such deep works of literature?

mallie89

Almost free!
HSC
I keep meaning to look at the Young Writers Showcase.. and I keep forgetting miserably.
But from your post I get the idea that they're scary and deeeeeep.

kloudsurfer

HSC
mallie89 said:
I keep meaning to look at the Young Writers Showcase.. and I keep forgetting miserably.
But from your post I get the idea that they're scary and deeeeeep.
Oh they are. They really really are. Most of them anyway.
Though I was surprised by a couple that were in there that were just simple but well written stories.

slinkysezzy

HSC
We have 4 people doing ext 2 at my school - thats down from 10 last year!!!! The english co-ordinater was extremely cut!

The break down of that it
2 short stories
1 Film
1 Critical

Parklife

HSC
There's only three in my class (including myself) and we're all doing short stories.

jamesw07

HSC
There are about ten students in my E2 class of which about half are doing short stories and then the rest divided between critical response and digital works.

I have chosen to do a short story and my ideas are very well formulated. My journal only has sixteen pages of writing/typing in it though. My research is also very weak with only a brief online library visit and a few recently read novels under my belt. I am not sure how to go about research either and I need to start my proposal now. Anyone have inspiration for my research? I could explore the whole psychology of my ideas, how to write short stories...etc but is that what I need to do. It seems pointless when I have the idea and just want to write. How much research is actually (REQUIRED) to get all possible marks in my proposal.?Does it matter if alot of my research occurs throughout the writing of my short story? Do the words of my mentor(s) count as research?

My idea is secret.

princesskt

HSC
well at my new school.. again there's only me and another girl doing it.. but we're both doing short stories..

cucum3rs

Queen Of The World
HSC
emsyb said:
hey guys how many ppl in ur classes?
we have 5 doing ext 2!
our school is so crap!
ill tell you a little secret about my extension 2 class.
theres two people in it - including me.

my extension idea is more imaginative fiction-ish. its about the death of a priest and his path to self discovery in a purgatory type place after his demise. everyone elses' ideas sound pretty freakin good though.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
sarakelly89 said:
Hi my name is Sara and I go to a small school on the mid north coast. I am doing 4U English and I am a little late getting started on my Ext2 major work. I am thinking of writing a few short stories on teengage pregnancy, exploring the different experiences of several teenage mothers. I would really appreciate any feedback!
What school are you from? I'm up here on the MNC as well.

rositamadeline

questionable
HSC
lady Arre said:
just wondering how many of you are thinking of short stories for next year, amnd which genre et cetera. do any of you know exactly what your writing yet?

i do.
a historical fiction revenge tragedy. my friend mentioned something on it at the beggining of term and i have been obsessed with the idea ever since.

what about you?
I'm doing mine now, I'm writting three stories about the destruction of women and one of them is written in the historical fiction genre (which i have finished my first draft of) It was lots of fun to write but kind of stressfull as well because of facts having to be right and finding people that can give you the finner points of the history of whatever period you are writting in ( i wrote mine during the vietnam war) so it ismore realistic.

HSC
The concepts here are very interesting! I'm doing a short story regarding how one person can so profoundly affect another; but it has a philosophical
and epistemological focus to it -- I thought the ideas would be better expressed through characterization rather than say, a critical response.

ssglain

HSC
My school has around 16 people in EE2 out of 180-some. I suspect the number will drop down by a handful as decisions are starting to be made after six weeks of contemplation.

Funnily, I notice that the sci-fi/dystopian/futuristic projection cross Brave New World/Nineteen Eighty-four transformation seems to be very popular among fellow candidates. I fear that I am on the verge of falling into mainstream. I'm composing a hybrid fiction-social critique with focus on the adverse cultural/social impacts of economic/technological prosperity. In particular, the paradox of a society, set on a steady cruise towards a seemingly utopian illusion, in which the possession of freedom also entails the suppression of its exercise.

Just wondering, did anyone else here attend the ETA seminar on AOS and EE2 in the Sydney Convention Centre (or some such place in Darling) late last year?

HSC
^^ No, but I really wanted to go! Did you go?

I love your control of language, by the way. You write well -- I haven't seen that elevated style even among my own Ext 2 peers. Nice work. Your idea reminds me of our Utopian unit in Ext 1 last year; particularly the text of my own choosing: Logan's run. I think it'd help you with your concept, if you want to have a look. It's a movie made in the 60's, but it's pretty decent in terms of the values it represents and the message it conveys. You should check it out.

My concept ... pretty much ... with an epistemological and philosophical background, I pose the question of whether or not love is truly the apex of human emotion, or is it a shell of a deeper madness? Short story medium. Better expressed through characterizaton. Boo yah.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
ssglain said:
My school has around 16 people in EE2 out of 180-some. I suspect the number will drop down by a handful as decisions are starting to be made after six weeks of contemplation.

Funnily, I notice that the sci-fi/dystopian/futuristic projection cross Brave New World/Nineteen Eighty-four transformation seems to be very popular among fellow candidates. I fear that I am on the verge of falling into mainstream. I'm composing a hybrid fiction-social critique with focus on the adverse cultural/social impacts of economic/technological prosperity. In particular, the paradox of a society, set on a steady cruise towards a seemingly utopian illusion, in which the possession of freedom also entails the suppression of its exercise.

Just wondering, did anyone else here attend the ETA seminar on AOS and EE2 in the Sydney Convention Centre (or some such place in Darling) late last year?
Wow, i'm doing the whole Utopian/Dystopian thing, but as a satire - I hope there aren't that many people doing it, although I think there will because of the way society and the state of International Politics is at the moment.

slinkysezzy

HSC
my class is down to three now - hey have any of you guys had major shifts? I think I want to go from critical to short story - but i don't know whether it's too late.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)