English Extension II... 2007 (1 Viewer)

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
slinkysezzy said:
my class is down to three now - hey have any of you guys had major shifts? I think I want to go from critical to short story - but i don't know whether it's too late.....
I went from critical to short story halfway through term 4 last year.

Be hope

22 nautical miles to the sou'sou east of the equat
HSC
sp0ntane0us said:
my idea leans towards the sci-fi genre I guess. It's a futuristic, dystopian story... a satire... slightly Brave-New-World-esque.
Not sure EXACTLY what I'm writing. I have the idea, but now I just need to develop the plot.

god dammit!!!
i thought i was the only one:)hehehe...well, mine is a post environmental apocalyptic short story of speculative fiction!(yes, it WAS leaning towards the sci-fi, dystopian end of the scale, however, i am currently feeling inclined in a different direction:)
oh, help.at this moment i am procrastinating writing up my proposal due tomorrow morning at 9 am!

i still havent started writing in the characters myself, but i have huge folders with weeks of research.(procrastination) however im STILL confused about where exactly to set it in time.as in where during the apocalypse, after, a society that has developed hundreds of years afterwards??
i want it to be real.
well, tou ra and good luck.
annyong-hi kaseyo.(go in peace):)!!!

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Try it at the start of existence for a nice twist.

But just don't beat me in the course.

ssglain

HSC
this_is___me said:
I love your control of language, by the way. You write well -- I haven't seen that elevated style even among my own Ext 2 peers. Nice work. Your idea reminds me of our Utopian unit in Ext 1 last year; particularly the text of my own choosing: Logan's run. I think it'd help you with your concept, if you want to have a look. It's a movie made in the 60's, but it's pretty decent in terms of the values it represents and the message it conveys. You should check it out.

My concept ... pretty much ... with an epistemological and philosophical background, I pose the question of whether or not love is truly the apex of human emotion, or is it a shell of a deeper madness? Short story medium. Better expressed through characterizaton. Boo yah.
Actually, I am rather amused - at last someone appreciates my addiction to verbose waffling. Thank you for your encouragement, and I will definitely look into your suggestion.

You too have an interesting concept there. Write well and shed us some light on the enigma of human nature.

bringbackshred said:
Wow, i'm doing the whole Utopian/Dystopian thing, but as a satire - I hope there aren't that many people doing it, although I think there will because of the way society and the state of International Politics is at the moment.
Hehehe. That does seem to be the trend this year, doesn't it? I've never looked at the forums here before and haven't had many opportunities to discuss the EE2 MW with people from other schools so I was genuinely surprised to see the number of propsed short stories with this particular focus. I agree with you, and aside from what you've mentioned, I think the increasing awareness of the potentially harmful consequences associated with scientific/economic progress such as global warming and nuclear warfare also contributes.

---

I'm beginning to be strongly doubtful of my ability to deliver a satisfactory MW. I can't find the motivation to carry on. I guess I feel that my time would be spent more productively elsewhere. Has this phase been experienced (and hopefully overcome) by the rest of you? Any tips on more efficient time management and rediscovering the missing passion?

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Don't worry - i also have no motivation at the moment and I am considering a complete change of theme and medium. But I doubt that will happen. I'm sure we will all get over it.

What i'm doing to combat the onset of this is to do as much work I can for other subjects, especially Advanced English, where I am writing a section 2 narrative for Journeys. This has sort of given me a little more inspiration.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Holy crap. i thought I would be doing something half different to everyone else. Dang. Let's hope it's a BOS thing and not a state-wide EE2 thing.

princesskt

HSC
I was told on thursday not to get too caught up in research (hehe my bad) and to start writing.. but see i cant help it, i wanna do good in this and the themes my subject is about, i wanna do lots of research to make sure its all perfect in my story. i have to do it just right. anyone get me? or am i just retarded :p

ninoshka

HSC
bored6 said:
No idea what im doing atm..

Tossing up between magical realism story detailing a man with mental illness and what he percieves or homage to greek tradgey...
is anyone else focusing on mental illness in their short stories?? and how have you all gone about characterisation, ive found that dialogue of the mentally unstable cannot be logically verbalised...

my short story focuses on mental illness; bipolar in particular - whether this mindset is the most elated form of the human thought process, and noting its impact on relationships and perspective.

wow, people have classes of 9+ people? we only have 3. and do you all think that the march 18 extn II day would be worthwhile?

nice ideas, by the way.
:)

princesskt

HSC
i was gonna do something with mental illness.. but i thought i should shy away from it as its what i usually write about and i wanted to do something more challenging.. yea.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
princesskt said:
I was told on thursday not to get too caught up in research (hehe my bad) and to start writing.. but see i cant help it, i wanna do good in this and the themes my subject is about, i wanna do lots of research to make sure its all perfect in my story. i have to do it just right. anyone get me? or am i just retarded :p
I think exactly the same thing - that way i don't hae to go and rewite everything back to my level of knowledge at the end. But it won't help if I have nothign to rewrite at the end, I suppose.

Be hope

22 nautical miles to the sou'sou east of the equat
HSC
bringbackshred said:
Try it at the start of existence for a nice twist.

But just don't beat me in the course.
dont worry, i will beat you:). im getting a 50 and thats that. At the beginning of existence??...intriguing. I find it increasingly disturbing that so many of our fellow bos travellers are doing the same thing. i have to write something constructive. at the moment all i can seem to do are very abstract pieces of creative writing, nothing to do with my topic. aaarrgh. and i have to have something written by the 22 march, because Simon Higgins and Melaina Faranda are coming to my school to do workshops with us.!

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Be hope said:
dont worry, i will beat you:). im getting a 50 and thats that. At the beginning of existence??...intriguing. I find it increasingly disturbing that so many of our fellow bos travellers are doing the same thing. i have to write something constructive. at the moment all i can seem to do are very abstract pieces of creative writing, nothing to do with my topic. aaarrgh. and i have to have something written by the 22 march, because Simon Higgins and Melaina Faranda are coming to my school to do workshops with us.!
Well I'm getting 51, so there. *Pokes tongue out*

Kaleah

HSC
I'm at Gosford selective and hence had a heap of people dong ext 2 . . . we started with 40 I think but dropped to about half that just before the first assessment (the proposal), and that has dropped to 15 in the last week with the approach of the viva (tomorrow).

I love doing ext 2 I'm getting really into it, my topic involves the creation of alienation in Chinese society and the effect of familial bonds on that. It was only today that I actually thought of a concise way to phrase that.

If anyone wants any help though I'm more than willing, I just love this subject!!! The advanced course sucks though.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Kaleah said:
I'm at Gosford selective and hence had a heap of people dong ext 2 . .

Being a Selective school does not constitute having a large Ext 2 Eng. course candidature.
Ie. Sydney Boys.

sarolga

HSC
EWarner said:
Has anyone looked at the Young Writers Showcase books from previous years? Is everyone else planning to be so radically innovative and non-traditional? All these works have incredibly deep ideas and themes relating to humanity... Is everyone else planning on creating such deep works of literature?
Yes, Yes, Yes!!! I have read through some of them and am feeling somewhat indequate.... At least I am not the only one, it seems....

Amy Lou

Academic
HSC
:( I'm the only one doing ext2 at my school.
I have two teachers at my disposal but I miss having people to bounce off.

bflaaaaaaaaaaaz

HSC
N/A
heya i've almost finished mine it's okay and as you all would know i'm getting to the point where it's been edited so much that the original is unrecognisable from the latest draft. So. (there by the meaning of the words "I've almost finished" could be- I'm sick of writting so this is good enough)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)