• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

english hate (1 Viewer)

u-borat

Banned
HSC
I hate the Board of Studies.

For forcing us to conform to their interpretations of various texts, and choosing in general some lame texts as well.

Like for example...the Revenge Tragedy module is so completely crap. They expect us to say that certain texts 'subvert' the genre, when in fact...they were never intended to be read as RT texts.
Asinine.

Nasonex

HSC
N/A
The point of English being compulsory, it to make us question its value and existence

fareezuh

HSC
lyounamu said:
Then what does ranting about losing bf/gf achieve? Some people love whinging (including I) and it is your freedom whether to respond to that or not. Please don't put someone down for whinging as long as it is not excessive. Little whinging gets rid of stress. :)
agree 100%

p.s i was an ESL person came to aus in 2000 bout now do ext1
so i must say i love it but that could also be cause i hate maths even though i did it all my life all my teachers have always been crap.
so the moral of the story is read read read and use lots of eloquent words to impress your teacher esp in assignments,
good luck

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
xJennax said:
I love english, it's one of my best subjects...now maths on the other hand..
I always found maths easier than English!

Liking English depends on the texts u study. I think English is gud (sometimes just 2 much h/w)

Muz4PM

HSC
Maths is strenuous, thank goodness I escaped 3 unit.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
Hysterik said:
Sorry, but if you think that English is just memorising quotes it's pretty obvious why you don't like it. Not attacking you anything, but it's starting to piss me off that people attack English because you have "memorise essays and quotes". I never memorise quotes, they're completely irrelevant. English is about analysing a text and being able to recall textual detail rather than just "quotes". And memorising an essay does shit all.
That makes no sense.
The whole point of quotes is to back up your argument/analysis...Thus they're pretty much required IMO...

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Yes, but the point s/he was making (I think) is that you aren't supposed to memorise quotes for quotes, you're supposed to understand the significance + context of the quotes, so that rather than just 'this is shown when x says y', you can actually achieve some depth.

About prepared essays, I dunno, I'm a bit divided over them. Obviously you don't write an amazing essay and just copy it out in the exam no matter the question, but I think writing prepared essays gives you a general framework with your ideas and such, so that, essentially, you can try and weave the question into your response, maybe excluding some of what you prepared and adding newer, more relevant material to the q.

ps: i don't think any of what i wrote made sense, doing too much shit at once DIUUU

u-borat

Banned
HSC
In an ideal world, English would purely be about your own interpretations and analysis of texts...but in reality...its all about playing the game. And getting those marks.:)

HSC
u-borat said:
In an ideal world, English would purely be about your own interpretations and analysis of texts...but in reality...its all about playing the game. And getting those marks.:)
You can do both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)