english + history skills in other subjects (1 Viewer)

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Re: how many units do you plan to do for the hsc?

Aplus said:
Not really, I started tutoring like in Year 1 or 2.
Wtf? Were you failing or something? There's no other good reason to have tutoring that young.

selablad

HSC

Yeah, I don't know anyone who's had tutoring, except for a couple of Asian kids. So sorry if I seemed shocked by the kindergarten tutoring thing, tutoring in itself is a little alien to me...and in kindergarten!

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I wish I started tutoring that early or even in Year 4 for the OC. But me and my parents were unaware of these opportunity classes, and I was too busy gaming, enjoying my childhood. Then, they put me in tutoring for Mathematics in Year 6 to prepare me for the selective school exams. It was a bit too late, and as I went to a really shit primary school, with no good teachers, I had no chance. Then I moved :) and with my own effort atm, I'm attaining good grades ;). But I'm over the selective school hype years ago, nothing special :)

The point I'm making is what's so bad about starting tutoring early? I now wish I had the advantage to start early.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I don't believe there's anything wrong with tutoring at that age, but personally, I wouldn't send my child to tutoring until they were at least in Year 4 (for OC and preparation for Selective).

Aplus

HSC
N/A

black_kat_meow said:
Wtf? Were you failing or something? There's no other good reason to have tutoring that young.
No I wasn't failing. My parents just felt that school wasn't giving us enough work.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
what time do you people wake up? I don't wake up till 10 or 11. But you guys are on BOS so early in the morning. Do you go to sleep really early?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Usually a 10.30-6 night. My routine has only really changed by about an hour and a half or so (from what it is on a normal school night - which is 11-5).

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
foram said:
what time do you people wake up? I don't wake up till 10 or 11. But you guys are on BOS so early in the morning. Do you go to sleep really early?
Went to sleep at 12:30am, woke up at at 10:00am. I'm planning on waking up 6:30am in the morning everyday, but to do that, I have to reduce late night sleeps (damn IPL) :p

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Slept at 12 yesterday and woke up at around 6:30

selablad

HSC
I normally go to bed at around 10.30 and wake up at 5.30. This is during term, though; in the holidays it's more like 11 to 10.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
selablad said:
I normally go to bed at around 10.30 and wake up at 5.30. This is during term, though; in the holidays it's more like 11 to 10.
Thats more normal. The other people sleep for like 6 hours only. My holidays are wasted sleeping. :D

selablad

HSC
Pardon my ignorance, but what is the OC? And when do you have to sit exams for "Selective"? What is that? Why do you need to train from Year 4 for it?

Sorry, I just lost the entire thread due to not knowing that :(

selablad

HSC
foram said:
Thats more normal. The other people sleep for like 6 hours only. My holidays are wasted sleeping. :D
That's okay then. All these other people are crazy, haha. They're like my dad, he goes to bed at around 11 and wakes up at 3 in the morning to read and do work... :confused:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
The OC is a test for putting people into "smart classes" for years 5 and 6. The selective test is the test for people to get into selective high schools (smart schools), like James Ruse and Sydney Boys and Fort Street to name a few. My schools selective too, but I'm the only smart one in it. :D

selablad

HSC
Can I just say, you have A LOT of tests in NSW. All of those HSC ones, and did you have to write exams in year 10 too? And selective tests and OC test things...

I used to go to a school (not in Qld) that had "smart classes" as you say, but they didn't have a test, they just looked at, well, how good you were in your normal tests...

Sorry I just find that test thing weird...:)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Lol, thers the OC test, Selective school test, Scholarship tests( if you want to get into sydney grammar), School Certificat, and Higher School Certificate.

Everything is useless except fro the HSC and the Selective School Test.

selablad

HSC
Except for the OC one, I guess those seem pretty reasonable. I'd still prefer not to ever do them...high stakes tests are not my thing :(

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Logically I suppose if you are enrolled in an OC Class, your chances of entering a Selective High School would be improved.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I think that OC tests are pretty important, however, not 'detrimental' if you failed them (neither is Selective, for that matter).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)