english + history skills in other subjects (3 Viewers)

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
Re: how many units do you plan to do for the hsc?

what i wrote sounds a bit sexist, so i'll clarify what i meant.

It's not that boys are smarter than girls. If you take the average intelligence of boys and girls, they'll basicly be the same. However, the distribution of male intelligence varies much more than the distribution of female intelligence. So what you see is that the majority of idiots are male, and the majority of geniuses are male too, where as most of the females like in the more average intelligence range. Apparently, its to do with intelligence being an X-recessive gene.

Also, girls are better at english, and boys are better at math/science. Of all the famous scientists and nobel prize winners, all of them are male, with the exception of one woman. Looking at all the famous authors, countless numbers of them are women.

However, because all the stupid males will drop out of school before yr10, only the average and smart ones are left, whereas most of the females will be around roughly average intelligence. So if english was not compulsary, then the average and smart males will out perform the average females. It's not because males are superior... although males would be superior if you killed all the dumb ones. :D

bored of sc

HSC

foram said:
as in, the board of studies key words (analyse, explain....) i don't even know all of them.

Before it was englisfied, in chemistry, if there was a 4 mark question, with 4 key words, and you wrote 4 things answering the question, you would get 4 marks.

not anymore. if you did that, you may only get 3marks, or 2 marks... :(

Some stupid people got their hands on the syllabus and englishfied everything, even physics. That stupid person must have been a woman, only a woman would do something so horrendous, just so girls can get better marks outside of english. We should just mathify everything back to the norm, but somehow the departement of education got infected with english nerds, so we can't change anything.

Why does the only subject that is compusary happen to be the one that girls are proven to be better at? And why do the subjects have to englishfied to favour girls? I see a lot of anti-male sexism in the department of education. They should just make 4U math compulsary, and the physics syllabus should be reverted back to 80% math. then boys will clearly out perform girls.
I respect what you have to say but English is the most important subject - language is the main form of communication and texts are the different mediums through which our ideas are communicated effectively. I agree with you that english is shit - like how they make us do ridiculous things in the subject like writing essays about God knows what but being able to express yourself using words is absolutely paramount in this material, commercial, technologically driven world we live in.

Also, proof is finality - proof is irrefuttably true. You can't say that girls are proven to be better than boys at english because this is not always the case. For the current year 12's at our school the same male student is holding the number 1 ranking in each of advanced, extension 1 and extension 2 english. It is true that girls tend to be better at english - but even this is a generalisation.

Every subject is 'englishfied', you should just except that. If they made 4 unit maths compulsory I predict there would be <10% of all participants getting 50% or above.

Don't worry, I am sure you are smart enough to survive the HSC - you will probably do really well - maybe even in the really 'englishfied' subjects :) .

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

They should have make SC english compusary but not HSC english. English at the SC level is more than enough. Also NSW has the hardest english HSC equivalent exam in the WHOLE OF AUSTRALIA! That shows how much the NSW Department of Education has been infected.

EDIT: Also, males generally have greater greymatter density in the frontal lobe of the brain, making them better at logical thinking. Females have many (9?) parts of their brains devoted to emotional experiences, men have only (2?) or (4?). I forget which one, but women are much more emotional than men because of the way their brains are structured. The male mind and the female mind are very different, which makes them generally better at different things, e.g males being better at math, and females being better at english.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC

foram said:
They should have make SC english compusary but not HSC english. English at the SC level is more than enough. Also NSW has the hardest english HSC equivalent exam in the WHOLE OF AUSTRALIA! That shows how much the NSW Department of Education has been infected.
yer, we were talking about this is maths at school - like if you get a decent SC english mark (70+) then you don't have to do english in the HSC. But if you get a bad english mark in SC then you have to a basics english course in the HSC. So therefore english would be an elective in the HSC - and like 4 people in the state would do it (lol).

huhwotsthis

HSC
I do believe English is important, but I don't believe journeys/belongings should be the whole course. Kids at my school can't even spell, and they're expected to tackle journeys.:( I know I would not choose English if it wasn't mandatory. Btw, I don't think it's compulsory in WA. Anyone verify this?!?!?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

foram said:
as in, the board of studies key words (analyse, explain....) i don't even know all of them.

Before it was englisfied, in chemistry, if there was a 4 mark question, with 4 key words, and you wrote 4 things answering the question, you would get 4 marks.

not anymore. if you did that, you may only get 3marks, or 2 marks... :(

Some stupid people got their hands on the syllabus and englishfied everything, even physics. That stupid person must have been a woman, only a woman would do something so horrendous, just so girls can get better marks outside of english. We should just mathify everything back to the norm, but somehow the departement of education got infected with english nerds, so we can't change anything.

Why does the only subject that is compusary happen to be the one that girls are proven to be better at? And why do the subjects have to englishfied to favour girls? I see a lot of anti-male sexism in the department of education. They should just make 4U math compulsary, and the physics syllabus should be reverted back to 80% math. then boys will clearly out perform girls.
someones a bit paranoid

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Now those are a couple of whacked up posts. :\

agua.fuego

HSC
But the whole thing about "englishfied Science and Maths" - that's what we'll get in the HSC (if someone's already said this, sorry for redundancy). I don't think that it has anything to do with so girls can do better than guys or vice versa; it's more that when we come across it on the HSC we'll actually look at those words and go, "OK, know what it means, lets go."

Mind you. I don't even do Science, I stuck with the English-y and Humanities subjects, but you come across those terms in everything.

agua.fuego

HSC

foram said:
It's to do with the fact we speak English. And they want us to know we can deconstruct the poster on the wall while we're sitting on the bus on our way to whatever job we do. :p

But you'd get that everywhere, you'd go overseas and you'd study - like my dad, in Chile when he lived there - Spanish, and literature as a part of Spanish culture and all that. Can't really explain it too well. But OK. That's what I bring to the forums.

Also: Heaps of the literature Nobel Prize winners have been male. Pablo Neruda, Harold Pinter, José Saramago, Seamus Heaney, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Patrick White, Derek Walcott... Not saying it to be catty or anything, just mentioning.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Er - making 4 Unit maths compulsory is sort of a really wicked way of failing 70% of the State.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Aerath said:
Er - making 4 Unit maths compulsory is sort of a really wicked way of failing 70% of the State.
and it wont scale as well if the whole state done it

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

kaz1 said:
I'm sure it will scale just as well if 50% of the state gets 0 in it.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

foram said:
I'm sure it will scale just as well if 50% of the state gets 0 in it.
Yeah, which means that chances of 4 Unit Maths being compulsory are similar to that of George Bush winning November's election.

No offense - but that's a really stupid, selfish and self-centred idea.

"I'm really good at Four Unit Maths. If I'm going to fail in English, I should make the entire State fail with me - why not make the subject I'm good at compulsory?"

selablad

HSC

But why should English be compulsory? For the sake of those (poor souls) like Foram, who aren't good at it, you should just make it an elective subject. I mean, every subject has skills which apply to other subjects as well. For English it's essay writing and communicating your thoughts. On the other hand maths teaches you to think logically and prove that all you are saying is true, so maybe it should be compulsory. I mean, if you are going with the "gives you skills in other subjects/areas of life" thing.

agua.fuego

HSC

Aerath said:
agree completely. there's a reason i dropped maths completely :uhoh:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC

agua.fuego said:
agree completely. there's a reason i dropped maths completely :uhoh:
You did WHAT!! /me dies

agua.fuego

HSC
I do English, not maths. Sorry if this kills you more, but I dropped Science too. I'm sticking with the humanities.

I've got good subjects though, it feels a bit weird without maths, but in a fantastically awesome way. I've got basically no subjects that I sit and mope in, because that's what Maths and Science did to me. I was like, "Look. I've got the answer. I don't need to prove it. That's what the answers section's for." With Science, after seeing some disturbing tapeworm video where someone deliberately ate a tapeworm, I was distraught. I couldn't think of Science in the same way. I used Science periods for Textiles (which annoyed my teacher; when I'd finished my work I'd be doing illustration for my folios and he hates textiles) or for writing my story.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Many people dropped Science at our school. (About 20). :p
Even the guy who came first in Science from Years 7-10 dropped it.

agua.fuego

HSC
Aerath said:
Many people dropped Science at our school. (About 20). :p
Even the guy who came first in Science from Years 7-10 dropped it.
yeah, I was coming 3rd in year 9, and was pretty high year 10... but dropped it.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

kaz1 said:
yeah.... making 4 unit compulsory is not a way to go. But they actually do it in some Asian countries... like Korea...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)