English Supplementary Material Topic: Change (1 Viewer)

tichondrius

HSC
Uni Grad
Our topic for extension english is Change, more specifically "change of self". I have an up and coming assessment task for the topic and I can't find a damn supplementary material that suits the topic :mad1: . We've been told we can't do ANY prescribed text from ANY english course, that includes all that we did in our junior years (stage 4/5) and all that are BoS subscried.

Noteable ones that I've been told not to use:

- Cats in the Cradle (song)
- One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (book)
- The Picture of Dorian Grey
- Mary Shelley's Frankenstein

We aren't allowed to double dip with Extension 1 english and my teacher said that we will score extra points for comparing our core text (A.B. Facey's A Fortunate Life") with something of a different text type.

This means I'm looking for a poem or a song. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance

Tich~

P.S. - First Post!!

Fuzzy Juzzy

have a cigar
HSC
I'm doing Change - but a focus on 'changing perspectives'. I guess a lot of the texts would still apply though. Check out The Logical Song (by Supertramp). I love that song, and it's pretty much about change and gaining knowledge and getting confused and such. Just waffle on and you should be good. Grab the lyrics from the net and have a look at them, it's not hugely deep and meaningful, which should be good.

Also worth a look: Redgum - I Was Only Nineteen (also a song), and if novels are in the picture, Looking For Alibrandi (this is our core text). Apparently a lot of songs by Bruce Springstein (no doubt I spelt his name wrong there) are excellent for change (or so our teacher says). We had a brief look at 'My Hometown' and 'Glory Days' in class, and they seemed pretty relevant.

Good luck.

moco

HSC
im using man in the mirror, by michael jackson

lisa1989

HSC
hey do you know any good reltaed texts for changing self?

laukai

HSC
If it is films you are after: I know of three very good ones, meaning they are excellent films which you enjoy watching while you work:

Billy Elliot
About A Boy
Donnie Darko

If it is poems: that i am sure of

Gwen Harwood (most of her poems will do) - In the Park(personal fav that is all)

Bruce Dawe (I know this guy personally!!!) - Life Cycle
- Drifters
- Homo Surburbiensis
- Doctor to Patient

If it is novels:

DONT EVER USE - Johnno(you will srsly die from reading it, so boring well i think that...)
- Picture of Dorian Gray (for me... i could get nothing about change from it)

Goods one would be - Maestro(hard to get the techniques but many changes to talk about)
- Pride and Prejudice

there are more... but i suppose they are the ones i scored high in... and i find interesting to read...

IceOnFire

HSC
cast away is quite a good film for changing self. The main character in it changes both mentally and physically.

shade8219

The Fob of SBHS '07
HSC
none of the prescribed BOS booklets..?
how about 'A Fortunate Life' by A.B Facey
that's self of change

elinithaxx

HSC
hey i'm in yr 11 and doin advanced and doing a topic close to change - "changing perspective"
We're doing texts 'Chocolat', 'Crucible' and hcs Stimulus Text 2a and 2b. We have to link all the texts together in relation to the topic Changing p. and have to look at the themes, and techniques used to show how peoples perspective change.
Our practice essay question is
"Experience Changes our perspective"
Discuss with close reference to the texts studied. In your answer you should consider the intention of the composer and the techniques emplyed by them to explore that issue.
(if anyone can help with this please don't hesitate too thanks)

Here are aspects of change that may help you

Aspects of change - Catalyst- speeds/ process of change
-conflict. ecternal/internal
-moment of truth/turning point
-Causes and effects(consequences)
-nature of change
-Gains/losses
-imposed on vs sough after
-attitudes towards change - resistance vs embrace
-How are the aspects delivered through techniques

ALSO some texts you could consider

CHOCOLAT(JHONNY DEPP MOVIE)
CRUCIBLE -ARTHUR MILLER
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE

can't think up any others :p soorrryy

i hope that helps you out a bit.. goodluck!!! :D you'll be fineee

Ciao

Last edited:

benita30

HSC
im in advanced english year 11 and also doing changing self.
But i need a catergory B text such as a painting, print advertisement, cartoon, drawing, photographic image, sculpture, picture book.

Does anyone know or have any particular images or artists that i can look up? Please :)

terungaa

HSC
identity rite? i've found a couple but they dont really fit the thesis for my speech. try searching the forums for leunig. youll get some cartoons that have been done before (but some for different modules.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
My top choices:
book: Death of a salesman (its a play though)
song: father and son by cat stevens is really good
poem: Father and child by Gwen Harwood
short story: The story of an hour by kate chopin
movie: to sir with love

thats all i can think of, hope it helps :D

bored of sc

HSC
jellybelly59 said:
anyone have any poems regarding the inner darkness of the soul or moral corruption?
yer, John Donne's 'Batter my Heart, three person'd God; for you' it is about how Donne has a damned soul and suffering terribly with the burden of sin and thus, he wants God to dominate/take control of/"bend" him back to a restored, morally correct state; he wants God to accept him and renew his darkened soul but in order to achieve this a violent process must take place (breake, blow, burn, knocke, batter etc) - there numerous references to sex/rape, marriage, love, blacksmiths, trinity (father, son and holy spirit) and Donne uses conceits to compare God to a blacksmith (God can bend Donne however he wants) and Donne to a conquered town (a ruined town, in which something fresh and good is needed to renew it - that something new is God - the blacksmith)

P.S it is very sophisticated language and very hard for me to understand cause its Shakespearean lyric :(

X-terc

HSC
N/A
YAY FOR CHANGE!!

Not. -_-

Book: Im still deciding Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen or My Daughter's memory keep by Kim Edwards
Image: Still undecided! Anyone have any good images on change?
Film: Regarding Henry
Newspaper/Magazine Article: I still need to search for one!

Any help or suggestions? Greatly appreciate it!:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)