Enrol to Vote Week (1 Viewer)

Stott Despoja

HSC
N/A
Enrol-to-vote advertising push begins

As part of national Enrol to Vote Week, starting tomorrow, schools will encourage 17- and 18-year-old students to get on the roll.

Figures show about half of all 18-year-olds are not enrolled to vote. In addition, most 17-year-olds are unaware they can enrol so they're ready to vote in elections when they turn 18.
An advertising campaign that few would criticise.

If you haven't already done so, be sure to enrol soon.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Yeah Dan and I packed those asshole enrolment forms to every school in NSW so you better enrol!

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Optophobia said:
hmm. Government concerned about getting young people to enrol.

They're starting conscription soon, aren't they.
\
lol ur right da governement only cars about big business off 2 irak 4 oil

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Optophobia said:
hmm. Government concerned about getting young people to enrol.

They're starting conscription soon, aren't they.
?

This isn't really out of the ordinary. One of the AEC's functions is to encourage people to enrol, and since rolls will be closing early this year they're starting the enrolment push earlier.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Voting is overrated. There are too many stupid people out there for my vote to count so why even bother.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
Good point. The add was pretty good though, like implying your right to vote is as valuable as gold. Still i think its a bit of a waste of money... couldnt they spend that shit on more hospital beds instead?

Atilla89

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Voting is overrated. There are too many stupid people out there for my vote to count so why even bother.
You do realise the thousands of Australian soldiers died to give you your freedom to choose your leaders? Not voting or putting down a dodge vote would be doing them a diservice.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Atilla89 said:
You do realise the thousands of Australian soldiers died to give you your freedom to choose your leaders? Not voting or putting down a dodge vote would be doing them a diservice.
That is a ridiculous comment... you are a moron.

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
I think atilla89 meant 'defend' the right to vote.
I don't know what is really meant. Just ask him to clarify it.

xXeMoxXxCoRexX

you can't be half as emo
on a grassy knoll, overlooking the dregs of the lu
HSC
Voting should be restricted only to the elites

By that I mean lawyers, business executives, academics, judges, politicians, union officials, journalists, artists/writers and celebrities.

The average person has no business in the affairs of something as complex as running a country.

Giving them a sort of collective political power has only lead to an increase in consumerism and materialism, where once very-poor-but-happy working class people have become indulgent, self obsessed middle class 'aspirationals' that are ruining this world and greatly reducing the chances of the marxist revolution about which I dream so frequently.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
xXeMoxXxCoRexX said:

By that I mean lawyers, business executives, academics, judges, politicians, union officials, journalists, artists/writers and celebrities.

The average person has no business in the affairs of something as complex as running a country.
I can only assume based on your posts in that other thread you are saying this to try and annoy people but I for one seriously believe it.

The average person is a moron and has no business having any input, let alone an input equal to people who are far superior to them.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I can only assume based on your posts in that other thread you are saying this to try and annoy people but I for one seriously believe it.

The average person is a moron and has no business having any input, let alone an input equal to people who are far superior to them.
Possibly. But by principle, preventing an average person to vote would be horrendous.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
Possibly. But by principle, preventing an average person to vote would be horrendous.
So we let them make horrible decisions with the potential to destroy the country, that is a much better option.

You don't let little kids play with knives just because they think they should be able to. It may be unfair, but life is unfair.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
So lawyers, business executives, academics, judges, politicians, union officials, journalists, artists/writers and celebrities aren't average.

Who is average again?

Anyone who does a trade?

xXeMoxXxCoRexX

you can't be half as emo
on a grassy knoll, overlooking the dregs of the lu
HSC
Let X be the set of all people currently eligible to vote

Let {x1, x2} be a partition of X.
Let x1 be the set of all lawyers, university academics, judges, politicians, union officials, journalists, artists/writers and celebrities.
Let x2 be the set X - x1

x1 is the set of all people who should be allowed to vote
x2 is the set of all people who should be subject to the new utopia created by the people in x1 as they are too ignorant and stupid to know better and are only ruining the country (planet?) with their self indulgent consumerism

it's that simple. I decided to omit business executives since they're too capitalist, in spite of being generally well informed.

Implementing this system would see a softer, kinder Australia where the ignorant middle class masses are stripped of the prosperity they have gained in recent decades, making them happier and less aspirational.

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
xXeMoxXxCoRexX said:

Isn't that called communism?

Actually, I have an idea. We should make it that only Federal Politicians can vote. That way, with the current standings, the government would never be thrown out.

Academics and the elite purport to have all the answers to society's ills, yet to this point, very few have been rendered successful (communism included).I'm sure if we bestowed the decision making processes in the hands of peple such as Mike Carlton, we would all be better for it. Better still, why don't we euthenase the 'ignorant masses' and solve all of the problems in society?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
ur_inner_child said:
So lawyers, business executives, academics, judges, politicians, union officials, journalists, artists/writers and celebrities aren't average.

Who is average again?

Anyone who does a trade?
I would probably go with some kind of test and you can only vote if you pass this test. So only intelligent people would get to vote but it wouldn't exclude anyone based on their chosen profession.

We certainly shouldn't have people voting on policies that they simply don't understand.

Anyone who votes based completely on propaganda from their particular party shouldn't be voting.

Anyone who votes for a particular party just because their parents vote for them shouldn't be voting.

T

Testpilot

iamsickofyear12 said:
I hope you understand irony.

iamsickofyear12 said:
I would probably go with some kind of test and you can only vote if you pass this test. So only intelligent people would get to vote but it wouldn't exclude anyone based on their chosen profession.
Better take your vote away then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)