Equities Research at a BB firm? (1 Viewer)

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
Few corrections

Buyside vs sellside: This has nothing to do with the stock recommendations. Sell-side = you work for an investment bank, i.e. you work as a broker. Buyside = you work for a fund manager, etc. where your recommendations are for internal use for investment decisions.

The comment about not being customer facing - very false. ER isn't just about hiding under a desk and writing reports - I would say ~ 20% of the job at best. A senior analyst may spend more time talking and meeting with clients than doing anything else in their day.

Your clients are primarily the buy side (as described above). Its a two-way street - you're expected to follow up on them, pushing your investment ideas and views, not too dissimilar as to what a salesperson would do, but also, you're expected to be on call for their requests and questions. Your clients, i.e. customers, won't deal with you exclusively, they're likely to deal with several of the major banks all at the same time, and then formally rank you based on service.

Besides clients, there's also industry contacts. Any respectable ER analyst should have an ever expanding list of industry contacts to talk to. This is how they get snippets of information and form a view (that might not be as obvious to other players in the market) and, more directly, they earn brownie points for setting up meetings/Q&As between the bank's clients and their industry contacts.

Newbie made the comment about no pre-requisite skills... not entirely true - depends on the sector. Vast majority of resources analysts I know are ex-engineers. Vast majority of insurance analysts I know are ex-actuaries. The junior/grad hires without industry experience go to sectors like media, retail, etc that can be picked up relatively easy.

Not many people start in research because there are hardly any jobs to begin with. ER intake across the bulge bracket may be less than what one of the larger banks hires for corporate finance alone.

I could ramble on but I'll stop there for now.

is a roflcopter
HSC
when you enter from college - there are no prerequisites skills. everything can be learnt on the job
you are talking about lateral hires that move in after working in the industry

is a roflcopter
HSC
lol yes
muppet lol
sometimes i read those stock forums when people just plain bs to pump up whatever they own or spread rumors
its hilarious because people believe that sht
and then BAM - rights issue/takeover announcement and a lot forum readers get sadfaced

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lol yes
muppet lol
sometimes i read those stock forums when people just plain bs to pump up whatever they own or spread rumors
its hilarious because people believe that sht
and then BAM - rights issue/takeover announcement and a lot forum readers get sadfaced
anyone who relies on a forum for reliable and accurate information is an idiot- especially if it's for finance or investing advice. except of course for BoS </mindless self-plug>

ps. glad you have entered the arena Vagabond- we missed you. can't believe you left us in the dark to join equities research. psh.
pps. so what are the perks for your industry insiders eh?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)