Error in the HSC paper? (1 Viewer)

N

ND

Q6 c) '98, has an error in it. It asks to show angle @ which is the angle subtended by the two pts of intersection of the asymptotes of a rectuangular hyperbola and the tangent at P is -1. Firstly, i would like to know how an angle can be negative (i'm not talking about arguments). Secondly, tan(-1) is some irrational number, and they expect it to be the solution when you use the angle between lines formula? Is this just a translation error (from the people who reprinted the paper), or was it actually like this in the HSC?

is a roflcopter
HSC
aye i did that paper today hehe

yep its a mistake

should be tan@= -1

N

ND

Yeh that's what i figure, but i want to know whether it was like that in the actual HSC exam, or it's an error in the reprint.

is a roflcopter
HSC
i dont think they whould stuff up the real thing......

im using the blue 4unit book with the 1992-2001 papers

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
It's unlikely that they'd stuff up the real paper, imagine what happens to the education minister then..

Maybe it's the reprinting on textbooks and books that has something wrong. Geha's 50 tips has quite a bit of errors itself (looks like printing error), so its probably safe to assume that other books has it as well.

BTW, anyone know where to get one of those parody version of HSC trials? My teacher last year gave me one where there was a question about calculating the time the education minister will last alive in a submarine's engine, and how much free marks you can get by pretending that there's an earthquake etc.. those were hilarious :D

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by underthesun
It's unlikely that they'd stuff up the real paper, imagine what happens to the education minister then..

Maybe it's the reprinting on textbooks and books that has something wrong. Geha's 50 tips has quite a bit of errors itself (looks like printing error), so its probably safe to assume that other books has it as well.

BTW, anyone know where to get one of those parody version of HSC trials? My teacher last year gave me one where there was a question about calculating the time the education minister will last alive in a submarine's engine, and how much free marks you can get by pretending that there's an earthquake etc.. those were hilarious :D
well with that 50 tips books, its prolly bcoz u got rahuls bodgy copy of the book.:p

and yeah, those mock exams, were given to laz, but he said that he can't find it anymore or somethin' like that.:)

N

ND

Yep i just checked the paper from drbuchanan's site, and it;'s correct there.

maniacguy

They stuffed up Q7 of the 4u paper back in 2001. Check the markers report to see how they got around it (IIRC they took the higher percentage of the mark with that question included and without it included)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
They do make mistakes (rarely).

McLake's tip for exams with mistakes:

If the 2003 paper has a mistake:

a) You won't see and will end up very annoyed at a question
b) You will see it and do one of the following:
i) Try to predict what they ment, and make a comment on your paper as to what you are doing
ii) Prove that what they have said is wrong

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by McLake
They do make mistakes (rarely).
ii) Prove that what they have said is wrong
If that happened would get marks for that question? or would you just have wasted your time on a question that they would probably have realised is wrong after the exam?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
If that happened would get marks for that question? or would you just have wasted your time on a question that they would probably have realised is wrong after the exam?
I'm not a marker, but it makes sense to me that they would give you marks if you had demonstrated good mathematical ability, such as disproving a question.

Perhaps somone can verify this?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by McLake
I'm not a marker, but it makes sense to me that they would give you marks if you had demonstrated good mathematical ability, such as disproving a question.

Perhaps somone can verify this?

i would 've thought, that if a question was wrong, then no matter if u attempt or not, they'll give u the full marks.

Affinity

HSC
let's just hope everything goes smoothly then :D

N

ND

Originally posted by maniacguy
They stuffed up Q7 of the 4u paper back in 2001. Check the markers report to see how they got around it (IIRC they took the higher percentage of the mark with that question included and without it included)
Which part of it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)