Essay Structure ENGLISH (1 Viewer)

akkatracker

HSC
I'm fast approaching my year 9 annual exams and by far English is my worst subject.

I'd say I'm in the top sixth of my form for every subject with the exception of English where I'm about the bottom sixth.

Can someone recommend ways to structure my essays and/or paragraphs (when doing them for homework I spend hours on them and only get 12/20 )

Thanks

akkatracker

HSC
Thanks so much. Looks like in the few minutes I've spent signing up and asking this question has answered a 10 year question for me.

HSC
It sometimes may not be the way you structure your essays but rather the way in which you present your arguments and back them up with techniques because essentially what is when all the marks come from and make sure you have clear topic sentences which link back to the question :)

Elisa Sweet

HSC
I had trouble with English structure too til this year. This is what I now use and it seems to work quite well.

☐ General opening statement about topic.
☐ Outline of thesis.
☐ Name of text/s and composer/s (if not already included).
☐ Mention the techniques to be discussed.

Body
Section/Paragraphs
☐ Topic sentence or “Guess What?”
__insert composer/text here____ has used ___insert technique here____
to __________________________________________ .
☐ Evidence or “Prove It!”
___insert quote here___ shows that __explain effect here_____________.
☐ Link to thesis or “So What?”
This demonstrates that ___link to thesis here_____.

Conclusion

☐ Summarise the techniques that have been discussed.
☐ Name of text/s and composer/s (if not already included).
☐ Link back to thesis.
☐ General closing statement about topic.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It sometimes may not be the way you structure your essays but rather the way in which you present your arguments and back them up with techniques because essentially what is when all the marks come from and make sure you have clear topic sentences which link back to the question :)
That's pretty much what the structure is.

HSC
N/A
Hi akkatracker,

The basic essay structure follows like this:

Introduction
- Topic Sentence, which states your thesis
- Answer the question
- Introduce your texts, the composers and the dates they were created
- Introduce the themes you are going to discuss

Body Paragraphs
- Body paragraphs should be thematically-based for stronger responses. They should follow this structure:
1. Topic Sentence- This covers your line of argument for your paragraph and should be to-the-point
2. Analysis- You should include a minimum of four examples. Follow the technique-example-effect rule and provide insightful, unique and divergent analyses.
3. Concluding and Linking Sentence- This will tie the paragraph together by summarising what meaning the composer is creating
Remember to answer and link your arguments to the question throughout the paragraph

Conclusion
- Remind the marker of your thesis and repeat your texts and their composers
- Never introduce new ideas here

All the best!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)