stazi

Nightman
HSC
the sequel was announced in the credits of the first game, from memory

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Finally got around to picking up my DS!

Got a copy of Yoshi's Island 2 and Mario Kart DS. I haven't touched Mario Kart yet, been playing Yoshi's Island.

It's good they've been keeping to the art style and all. The double screen is a bit annoying but I'm sure I'll adjust. And flutter jumping feels really awkward. Other than that, it seems alright but I'll have to play through and see.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Yoshi Touch and Go is just perfect. Been playing it all day, breaking records, opening new modes and all that.

HSC
i got bored of it pretty quickly, i like kirby's canvas curse a lot better

stazi

Nightman
HSC
get elite beat agents, f4g. it's amaaaazing. im still playing it. just unlocked the third difficulty level

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
lessthanthree said:
i got bored of it pretty quickly, i like kirby's canvas curse a lot better
Canvas Curse is really great as well. With TaG, the varied kinds of point systems give me a reason to play it over and over thus I don't mind it only having a few scenarios in the entire game. The gameplay's simply amazing.

stazi said:
get elite beat agents, f4g. it's amaaaazing. im still playing it. just unlocked the third difficulty level
Once I pool the money. This one's pretty high up on the priority.

I'm bored with Yoshi's Island already, can't be arsed to collect all the coins and I really don't have the effort to go through stages again with the correct baby. Given the ability to change babies really just makes the game that much more complicated. I'm rather disappointed with the game, the physics aren't spot on like the original and the musical score and sound effects really leave something to be desired. Fuck, I know the game's supposed to be cute and all, but the music they play during the castle stages is much too subdued and boring. Though it's silly to expect this game to top the first.

Mario Kart, on the other hand, is damn well good. More on that later once I get used to it a bit more.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Fuck blue shells man, seriously. Blue shells are the worst thing to ever happen to Mario Kart. Unneccesary to be in the game, especially during the grand prix where you dominate till the late stages and some dickwad CPU who's comming 6th who has no chance to win the thing hits you with one metres before the finish line. Infuriating. No skill required with the blasted things either, aquire and fire.

The addition of the extra screen that plays as a map is pretty over the top, and makes that new squid weapon completely obsolete, seeing as you can just use the bottom screen to navigate once you're hit by one. It's a bit much that the screen goes so far as to tell you where the dud question marks and bananas are on the course, as well as all the obstacles.

Other than that, it's pretty great. Controls are good and I've definitely welcomed the addition of power slide boosts in the Mario Kart series. Just hearing the theme music on a lot of the retro tracks (especially Mario Circuit 1) just makes my auld heart glow :eek:

iwannarock

HSC
runtlocks said:
Fuck blue shells man, seriously. Blue shells are the worst thing to ever happen to Mario Kart. Unneccesary to be in the game, especially during the grand prix where you dominate till the late stages and some dickwad CPU who's comming 6th who has no chance to win the thing hits you with one metres before the finish line. Infuriating. No skill required with the blasted things either, aquire and fire.

The addition of the extra screen that plays as a map is pretty over the top, and makes that new squid weapon completely obsolete, seeing as you can just use the bottom screen to navigate once you're hit by one. It's a bit much that the screen goes so far as to tell you where the dud question marks and bananas are on the course, as well as all the obstacles.

Other than that, it's pretty great. Controls are good and I've definitely welcomed the addition of power slide boosts in the Mario Kart series. Just hearing the theme music on a lot of the retro tracks (especially Mario Circuit 1) just makes my auld heart glow :eek:

but you played the n64 version right with blue shell.

actually this is the first mario kart where races might not be decided on items.

before there wasn't really that much skill. i mean a crap person could still beat a good person if they got really lucky.

in this version that can't happen, no matter how many items the crap person gets.

i think its better.

and blue shell is necessary. like lightning and bullet bill it evens out the playfield. if you screw up you still have a chance to get back.

but what that leads to is sandbagging...........especially in one v one races online. some people will just not let you get an item while in second (because then you get awesome items if its only 2 people).

often i've just sat there waiting against an opponent at the item boxes waiting for someone to make a move.

it actually becomes a little mental game with the opponent.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
With the addition of power slide boosts I think you're right about the dependence on good driving. Hitting a banana peel or getting smacked by a shell doesn't slow you down all that much in comparison to the other games. This adds that little bit of balance that I've always thought the Mario Kart franchise could benefit from.

Bullet Bills and Lightning I don't mind too much, seeing as it negatively affects everyone sans the item user and gives them a chance to get back into a winning position. With the blue shell, it pisses me off how some shitty player can get one, fire it off and hit you if you're comming first. If they're a terrible player, they still wouldn't have a chance to win the match because the shell only hits the first player, maybe if they're lucky tangle up those in 2nd and 3rd. It's just cheap and annoying.

Takes a lot of thrill out of the game at times I feel as well, especially during grand prix's. Say I find myself in second position, the CPU in front of me is fast and I'll need to drive well to catch them. Suddenly a blue shell whizzes out of nowhere from some nobody and hits them, and I breeze past them. Well fuck me, did I just win that?

iwannarock

HSC
runtlocks said:
With the addition of power slide boosts I think you're right about the dependence on good driving. Hitting a banana peel or getting smacked by a shell doesn't slow you down all that much in comparison to the other games. This adds that little bit of balance that I've always thought the Mario Kart franchise could benefit from.

Bullet Bills and Lightning I don't mind too much, seeing as it negatively affects everyone sans the item user and gives them a chance to get back into a winning position. With the blue shell, it pisses me off how some shitty player can get one, fire it off and hit you if you're comming first. If they're a terrible player, they still wouldn't have a chance to win the match because the shell only hits the first player, maybe if they're lucky tangle up those in 2nd and 3rd. It's just cheap and annoying.

Takes a lot of thrill out of the game at times I feel as well, especially during grand prix's. Say I find myself in second position, the CPU in front of me is fast and I'll need to drive well to catch them. Suddenly a blue shell whizzes out of nowhere from some nobody and hits them, and I breeze past them. Well fuck me, did I just win that?
you know at 150cc you can dodge blue shells.

100cc.......some people can but its near impossible.

and also.......always keep an eye out for blue shells on the bottom screen. look to see when someone has one.

as soon as you see one in someones item list..........drop back into second.

if its too late and its already coming (the blue shell works by once it 'sees' 1st.......thats who it gets..........so if you see it come on the bottom screen and you're in first it most likely is already after you even if you drop back into 2nd).

the best thing to do here is to slow down and take out as many people with you as possible.

also...........try online.............actually maybe dont..............there are just as many problems there.

still.......despite its flaws i think this is easily the best mario kart game ever made.

i honestly dont think the wii version will even be better.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
iwannarock said:
you know at 150cc you can dodge blue shells.

100cc.......some people can but its near impossible.

and also.......always keep an eye out for blue shells on the bottom screen. look to see when someone has one.

as soon as you see one in someones item list..........drop back into second.

if its too late and its already coming (the blue shell works by once it 'sees' 1st.......thats who it gets..........so if you see it come on the bottom screen and you're in first it most likely is already after you even if you drop back into 2nd).

the best thing to do here is to slow down and take out as many people with you as possible.

also...........try online.............actually maybe dont..............there are just as many problems there.

still.......despite its flaws i think this is easily the best mario kart game ever made.

i honestly dont think the wii version will even be better.
:p:lol: Cheers for the tips man, much appreciated, I'll give it a go hey.

Guess I'm a bit too used to playing Super Mario Kart.

And this one definitely has the potential to surpass SMK as my favourite Mario Kart. Looking forward to the Wii Mario Kart. Hopefully they'll do well with the controller, though I've got a lot of faith in them. Even better, they'll opt the ability to play in a more traditional manner as well.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
stazi said:
AGENTS ARE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

hawt.
:mad:
In due time stazi, I'm still pooling the money :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just unlocked the Dry Bomber for Dry Bones, and it handles like a dreeeeaaam.

:eek:

iwannarock

HSC
runtlocks said:
:mad:
In due time stazi, I'm still pooling the money :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just unlocked the Dry Bomber for Dry Bones, and it handles like a dreeeeaaam.

:eek:
you will soon find that there are only 3 karts necessary in mario kart.

egg 1, dry bomber, and another kart you'll unlock soon.

egg 1 for all round.

dry bomber for tracks taking short cuts on grass and dirt and PPB'ing.

other kart for tracks which dont require fast turns.

as you can probably tell........i was addicted to mario kart ds when it first came out. i use to play online alll the time. now not so much.

i can still beat 95% of players out there when i play now. but then theres the freaks that an old veteran like me just can't beat. one of them even dishonoured me by giving me a whole 5 second headstart each race.

no respek!

no respek i tells ya!

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
iwannarock said:
i can still beat 95% of players out there when i play now. but then theres the freaks that an old veteran like me just can't beat. one of them even dishonoured me by giving me a whole 5 second headstart each race.

no respek!

no respek i tells ya!
:lol:

Still working on my power sliding but alas, getting better with each and every day. 150cc is bloody great!

I borrowed Children of Mana off a mate for a day or two, and fuck, what a complete bore. Dungeon crawling sucks. Though a "sequel" or "prequel" or whatever to Seiken Densetsu 3 on the SNES hit Japan a few days ago titled Heroes of Mana. I'm keeping a keen eye on that seeing as SD3 is one of my favourite games of all time, though I'm not really expecting too much from SquareEnix nowadays. Which is a damn shame.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
Well I just watched a couple of Heroes of Mana trailers and it looks more of a bleedin' RTS than a full blown action RPG. hmmm....

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yeah children of mana started out well, but soon i was bored.

HSC
finally got my ds back!!!

i am playing bleach 2, and it's fucking great, even though i don't know what's going on.

anyone tried that japanese acoustic guitar game? i think i'm gonna use it at my next gig.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)