Euthanasia for Life Prisoners (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
In light of the current euthanasia discussion (in which I fully support), who would extend the right to die to those sentenced to life in prison? In particular, those sentenced to several life terms, who have no chance of ever leaving a cell- eg Martin Bryant?

I remember this article from a few years ago-

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...artin-bryant-die/story-e6freuzi-1111113723856

Often these prisoners consistently attempt suicide, in vicious and cruel ways, only to be constantly denied their wish after a hospital recovery. Over time, allowing them to live can be said to constitute "cruel and unusual punishment" (many of them are chronically mentally-ill, extreme paranoia, locked away in little more then a concrete box).

Should they be able to consent to a medically-supervised death (in similar fashion to a morphine overdoses for near-death cancer patients)?

I think it is an interesting issue to consider. I'm sure there will be those with vindictive streaks who call for them "to suffer" indefinitely, but if they are to spend the rest of their life in misery (no harm to society here) or die, what does it matter? Only a cold-hearted retributionalist would gain pleasure through amplification of their suffering. Of course, most prisoners in this case committed terrible crimes- but further suffering for them does nothing to alleviate the suffering of their victims. I think this purely becomes an issue of consent.

Notably, I oppose the "death penalty" as no consent in regards to life is made.

Admittedly, if this was legislated, I do see the issue arising of why “lifers” should only be given this opportunity. Death may seem a viable option for any prisoner, based on their subjective experience of prison life. This will then raise the issue of should everyone (prisoner or not) be able to end their life (safely and painlessly) at will…much harder question, especially when we consider those not in any deprived situation (prison, terminally-ill) bar their own depression.

So for simplicity, lets limit the discussion to those in a life-term situation.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I would agree with this as long as a clear distinction between this and the death penalty was made, and no "either choose life in prison or euthanasia" kind of decisions at sentencing.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I would agree with this as long as a clear distinction between this and the death penalty was made, and no "either choose life in prison or euthanasia" kind of decisions at sentencing.
Yeah, especially for a first-time prisoner. They can't decide a priori that prison life will be worse then actually living at all. I think there would need to be a minimum term served needed first.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
they used to test the sharpness of the blade on the bodies of prisoners

imo if the prisoner in that article really wanted to die im sure they could manage to do it better so as to not be able to be revived

take out a guard or something and you have a good enough chance of someone doing it for youu

pman

Banned
HSC
I disagree with the death sentence for the same reason i disagree with this, death is too god for half of them.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I disagree with the death sentence for the same reason i disagree with this, death is too god for half of them.
*good, i presume you mean?

So your comforted by the knowledge of someone indefinitely suffering, even though they no longer pose a direct impact on society, more importantly your life?

Oh you do sound like a true Christian!

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What's this 'released on compassionate grounds' bs, too? If youre given a life sentence in prison, then the community expects you to die in there pls - Not 'pls stay for as long as youre fit'

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
What's this 'released on compassionate grounds' bs, too? If youre given a life sentence in prison, then the community expects you to die in there pls - Not 'pls stay for as long as youre fit'
I represent the community, as do many others with the same view. We expect them to be punished for their crimes yes. They will go to prison- nothing compassionate here. Why is amplification of suffering (particularly for those who are mentally-ill/constant suicide attempters) necessary? Lets keep religion out of it for once too. The family of their victims is not going to feel any bit better knowing the prisoner dies in a hospital bed or in a cell at age 80- I can only reduce such visions of cruelty to hardline retributive justice. "Just-deserts" can rest in my arsecrack.

pman

Banned
HSC
*good, i presume you mean?

So your comforted by the knowledge of someone indefinitely suffering, even though they no longer pose a direct impact on society, more importantly your life?

Oh you do sound like a true Christian!
Death is too good for them, but its alot worse than being alive, i mean, i would rather be in prison than in hell

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I represent the community, as do many others with the same view. We expect them to be punished for their crimes yes. They will go to prison- nothing compassionate here. Why is amplification of suffering (particularly for those who are mentally-ill/constant suicide attempters) necessary? Lets keep religion out of it for once too. The family of their victims is not going to feel any bit better knowing the prisoner dies in a hospital bed or in a cell at age 80- I can only reduce such visions of cruelty to hardline retributive justice. "Just-deserts" can rest in my arsecrack.
Cookie crumbles: soft on crime

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Death is too good for them, but its alot worse than being alive, i mean, i would rather be in prison than in hell
Please re-read that. The logical contradictions are smiling :)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
The fact is that the State is more likely to just release ill patients back into the community instead of killing them if they look lame, Cookie. Your views on this are repulsive

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Cookie crumbles: soft on crime
lol the "crime" has been accounted for. This focuses purely on the punishment, which i think your position is unjustified. I can't move past why so many Christians hold an "eye for eye" view!

Did they not read:

Matthew 5:38–39: "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person."

LOVE YOUR ENEMIES Iron

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
What? We dont govern. Render unto Caesar moochachow. If you break Caesar's laws, then youve given yourself up to his justice. The justice we speak of is greater.
Lets keep religion out of it for once !!

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
What? We dont govern. Render unto Caesar moochachow. If you break Caesar's laws, then youve given yourself up to his justice. The justice we speak of is greater.
Just state your position on Martin Bryant.

pman

Banned
HSC
who is that aimed at?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)