• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Euthanasia for Life Prisoners (2 Viewers)

spartan31234

HSC
I would be against Euthanasia for prisoners

imagine how easy it would be to dispose of political prisoners or cover stuff up, how would you know its voluntary or as result of a intimidation and harassment campaign?

Euthanasia if made legal should be only offered to those with terminal illnesses and under severe pain.

Garygaz

HSC
I would be against Euthanasia for prisoners

imagine how easy it would be to dispose of political prisoners or cover stuff up, how would you know its voluntary or as result of a intimidation and harassment campaign?

Euthanasia if made legal should be only offered to those with terminal illnesses and under severe pain.
Except this is Australia and not Russia/Iraq.

jules.09

HSC
I agree with Garygaz in that, why should taxpayer's money go towards feeding and sheltering these criminals when, given the choice, they can just end their lives through consent. On the other hand, it is hardly a deterrent.

I would like to entertain the thought that these people, excluding the mentally ill, are very conscious of the consequences of their crimes when they are executed. But you could also argue that anyone in their right frame of mind, wouldn't commit a crime deserving of life in prison. I would imagine they are also aware of what their punishment in the particular country entails. It's not like Asia, where everything culminates in the death penalty (which I am completely against). At the same time, for example, if you're drug trafficking, you're aware of that risk of being caught and shot down. This applies to the discussed perpetrators.

The idea of a life sentence is inevitably married to the vindictive sentiments of the 'victims', which is exceptionally base and sickening. It's burning a hole in our pockets, equally. I suppose, these people can be sentenced to hard labour or community work, something to that effect, because at least, no one's dying and the moral/ethical issues aren't as ambiguous, they aren't perpetually confined to their cells and it's productive. I'd think.

Maybe? *morally conflicted coughs* - ahem -

Just thought I'd add a strange hypothetical. The question of euthanasia is choice, and we've come to the consensus that if you're imprisoned for life, you must have immensely screwed up. Suppose you give the prisoner a very sharp, pointy knife and this was legislated. Would this avenue of death in prison be allowed?

Last edited:
HSC
This issue is a tricky one. Part of me wants to say 'Of course they shouldn't be allowed to have euthanasia...let them suffer.' Another part says 'Yeah, they should if they're suffering...free choice is very important.' So I don't know. If we just let them suffer, are we being as bad as they were in violating another's rights? Because that's what they've essentially done to gain a life sentence...and if we let them have what they want, are we letting them out easy? As Jules said:

The question of euthanasia is choice, and we've come to the consensus that if you're imprisoned for life, you must have immensely screwed up. Suppose you give the prisoner a very sharp, pointy knife and this was legislated. Would this avenue of death in prison be allowed?
The person has obviously done a very significant thing to warrant the loss of their freedom for life. Choice is part of freedom. So do they deserve the choice? Choice is given to people as part of allowing them to participate in society the way they want to, as long as they don't completely go against certain morals etc. But if someone's a murderer, or a rapist, that's a pretty big indication that they don't really give a damn about living peacefully alongside the rest of society...therefore, should they be allowed choice?

cookkii

HSC
prisoners lose their right to freedom as soon as they commit the crime, and lose their freedom as soon as they are imprisoned. they should have no choice. if they were given the choice of euthanasia, then they may as well be given the choice of their sentence. if theyve been sent to jail, then they deserve it, and should have to live out their sentence. the only way they should die in there is by natural causes or illness. they dont deserve the easy way out.

jules.09

HSC
prisoners lose their right to freedom as soon as they commit the crime, and lose their freedom as soon as they are imprisoned. they should have no choice. if they were given the choice of euthanasia, then they may as well be given the choice of their sentence. if theyve been sent to jail, then they deserve it, and should have to live out their sentence. the only way they should die in there is by natural causes or illness. they dont deserve the easy way out.
What about parole? At any rate, I'm kind of revising this train of thought, and asking myself if a convicted murder was imprisoned for life, technically, when he/she was 40, and have served their sentence for say 40 years, when they are 80, should they be given euthanasia, or just released, considering their life expectancy wouldn't be exceptional.

Maybe it's just Shawshank speaking to me. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)