• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Ever been praised and 'scorned' at english? XD (1 Viewer)

iMiraj

HSC
Have you ever been told by your teachers that youre good at english but you pretty much suck too? D:

I was told that I get texts but cant write an essay for crap :(

HSC
Uni Grad
This sounds a lot like my problem lol. I fully understand the texts meanings and ideas and all that shit, but have no idea how to write a high scoring essay.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
Have you ever been told by your teachers that youre good at english but you pretty much suck too? D:

I was told that I get texts but cant write an essay for crap :(
guess what, english teachers are twats!!!
never take anything they tell you seriously

_tasha

HSC
i had a bimbo 4 english last year n i learnt nothinggg!!! she just ignoredd da class wen we askdd herr a questionn:mad1:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I was chastised for my choice of text, yet praised for making it work (and subsequently, basically topping the year).

philphie

Banned
HSC
yeah basically if i give an opinion off the top of my head she's cool with me but when it comes to hw i'm a lazyfuck

HSC
Uni Grad
imho, English marks are a pure coin toss and work put it =/= mark received (or very rarely is anyway).

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You poor children. Go download some A+ essays, read them and you'll slowly learn how to write a high scoring essay :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I usually did shit work in English but whenever I put in some effort the teacher thinks I plaisiarised.

caitlinjinks

HSC
sorry if i sound silly but how do i post a new thread ha?
i cant find any button or etc to do so!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
What text did you choose?
Priscilla:Queen of the Desert, for AOS

Hair: The Rock Musical, for Retreat From The Global EX1

I also believe my choice of a Simpsons episode for Telling The Truth didn't sit well either.

caitlinjinks

HSC
ohh, you did priscilla? Im thinking of doing that for my related text for 'belonging,' did you think it was a good choice to do it for your AOS?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
ohh, you did priscilla? Im thinking of doing that for my related text for 'belonging,' did you think it was a good choice to do it for your AOS?
It would work, but you have to be careful. You need to be able to disect it intellectually. Just finding quotes will not be enough to impress the markers. Also, if you use it, be prepared to have to swear in any essays or speeches you do about it. Most of the best usable quotes have swearing in them.

prah

HSC
... Also, if you use it, be prepared to have to swear in any essays or speeches you do about it. Most of the best usable quotes have swearing in them.
Sorry if this is stupid, but couldn't you just censor the swearing? Last year i used Creep by Radiohead as a related text- i just put "You're so F***ing special" as a quote. I even used the swearing as a technique which complemented the dirty chords during the chorus in representing alienation or something along those lines... Teacher didn't seem to care.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Swearing's fine. Blade Runner: "I want more life, fucker".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)