Exactly how many comm majors for comm/law?? (1 Viewer)

kding214

HSC
How many comm majors can I do for unsw or usyd comm law? I want to major in both finance and economics but am not sure whether this degree allows for it?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
For Commerce you cannot major in Economics at UNSW.

For a double degree, you do one major for each degree. You may or may not be able to double major in one degree, you'll have to ask around. I think you can though.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
Wow, I want to do finance or eco too =)

It's one major for both unis.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Can I do econometric in Com/LLB UNSW?
If not, I'll probably do Finance or Accounting.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
What major would you recommend for better job prospects?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, what job do you want?

For Commerce majors... Finance seems to be the general all-purpose one. I don't know about job prospects for each major but, then again it depends on what job you want.

Personally, I don't think people should pick majors in mind for 'job prospects', i.e. "I'm doing this because of job prospects". Job prospects, the economy, can change. Plus, I did Commerce for 'job prospects' and... nah, I can't do it. I'm transferring out.

I think people should do something they like, and worry about a job later - except in special circumstances.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
Another question -

UNSW OR USYD for comm/law (majoring in finance or eco)?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Well if you go to UNSW - you get to see me.
Might not be a pro though. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Another question -

UNSW OR USYD for comm/law (majoring in finance or eco)?
As I said, UNSW Commerce doesn't offer Economics as a major. Check with Sydney to see if Economics is offered as a major.

But I'd say... UNSW would be better overall.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
There's a similar article concerning Com/LLB at USYD or UNSW search on google from duckcowhybrid - quite an interesting read.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh duckcowhybrid...

"I've heard social life is better and women are on the whole, esp. Law, more attractive."

As much as we would all lol at statements like that... it's more of a factor that some of us would want to admit.

---

But I will agree Finance at UNSW has been to me... boring. I don't have my heart in it though, so who knows.

---

And lol at:

USYD generally relies purely on its reputation for just about anything, and justifies every shortcoming with it.

Most of the lecturers I've had are arrogant self absorbed wankers who care nothing more than to leave the classroom on time. They don't encourage you to learn, they aren't passionate about what they teach and they always leave you with a sense of confusion as to what is relevant and what isn't. They don't take any time to help you out and they don't return emails. The hardest part is listening them rattling on about all of the big important cases they are/have been on which doesn't further our understanding.
---

And I thought this was interesting:

In terms of social life, UNSW craps all over USYD. USYD is somewhat good for the events (but UNSW has some great ones too) and that's about it. Day to day social life at USYD generally consists of two (three if you're lucky ) people drinking decaf organic skim lates for the one hour break in between classes whereas at USNW there are always groups of people hanging out and generally having much more fun. At USYD people generally go home straight after class, whereas at UNSW, even on a Monday night, there would be people hanging out at the bar. People always looked happy and full of energy whereas at USYD they all look gloomy and like they can't wait to get home.

Last edited:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Well the Dean at USYD - did talk a lot about restrictive ATARs and big cases. lol

milomarc93

HSC
For the record, if you do comm/law at Usyd or UNSW you can only do one commerce major. From memory you do 96 Commerce credit points and 144 credit points for law. So the combined degrees are more law orientated that commerce orientated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)